Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The snow has STARTED!

+18
islandgal99
Ruffledfeathers
CynthiaM
SerJay
Farmer Bob
coopslave
bcboy
Echo 1
lady leghorn
Magdelan
authenticfarm
HigginsRAT
bigrock
rosewood
bckev
heda gobbler
Nom_de_Plume
Schipperkesue
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 8]

51The snow has STARTED! - Page 3 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:25 pm

Finally snowing a bit here ! but it's wet and most likely won't stay !! Need snow for hunting , and so far it has sucked ! Snow tires ?? glad we don't get forced to put them here , drive according to the weather and if you're scared ............stay off the roads , more accidents are caused by scared driver every year then any others

52The snow has STARTED! - Page 3 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:22 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Around here snow tires are a MUST especially when you own a light two wheel drive truck! I always go the extra mile and have studs put on as well. I do so much winter driving the difference becomes easily apparent that studded winter tires are much safer.

And yes, I have scrounged up an extra set of rims too.

I keep my vehicles so long that an extra set of tires just means I have to buy new ones half as often!

53The snow has STARTED! - Page 3 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:37 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Exactly Sue, Exactly.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

54The snow has STARTED! - Page 3 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:07 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

We are supposed to get a bit tomorrow. Well, just checked and not snow, just cool. Down to -15C overnight. High of -7C but supposed to feel like -12C. Great......

Not supposed to last at least. Up to 7C by Tuesday, if they don't change their mind that is.

55The snow has STARTED! - Page 3 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:50 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Looks like snow is here to stay.

Here's a mule deer buck the hunters have missed so far:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Hunters from away have the bad habit of shooting deer from their trucks on the road. Totally illegal and dangerous as we all have livestock on pasture along the road.

Hector (Anatolian Shepherd) has found that he can keep his lookout and stay warm if he digs a ledge into the manure pile:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

56The snow has STARTED! - Page 3 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:30 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

wonderful photos Heda, made my morning. Look at your clever dog Smile . We are surrounded by white, here to stay of course but yesterday everything was slushy and dripping off roofs. Beauty buck, post card-ish. We have hunters come through, near crown land. Always like to smile at us locals and "keep it squeak" so to speak but I give them a stony glare sometimes, can't help myself. I live in a neighborhood of folks who like to hunt but there's a sort of awareness that unless you just can't help yourself you go away from where you live to take care of that business. Most have their fav spots anyway - just bugs me that my neighborhood is some visiting peoples fav spot! Now and then the hot head in me considers stopping and having a wee chat about wtf they are doing right here when BC is so enormous and there are endless miles of logging tracks and places to go that are far away from any one. What a Face  So far I've kept my cool, just really gets my goat. ok. remembering your clever dog. steam going down. back to happy face Smile 

57The snow has STARTED! - Page 3 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:35 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I've thought about having a "wee chat" too with those hunters driving along with shotgun barrels out every window but then I rethink. "Hello? Shotgun barrels". Most locals know better! There are hundreds of thousands of acres of Crown land and as you say logging roads and more deer up there anyway.

But as you say, let it go. I've only lost one heifer to hunters and so far no children (not that i have any myself, but locally).

58The snow has STARTED! - Page 3 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:33 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Snow has stayed, good I guess. It makes spending the day waiting to have the new tires installed worth it. Usually have the 2 sets of rims and tires but this year was the year to buy new tires for both seasons. Although you have to love the fact that changing over to your summer tires isn't as needed or dangerous so not as much pressure.

Good looking deer HG. I have no patience for roadside hunters. Hector looks so tiny curled up in the pile. My cows have taken to keeping my big dog Penny company at night. Will have to take a pic of them curled up next to her kennel.

We are lucking out and not supposed to get more snow till next week. I hope?

59The snow has STARTED! - Page 3 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:12 pm

Snow and rain , slippery slick junk ! but it's melting ! sure that there will be some tragedy that will happen as people learn how to drive on the stuff . Saw a lot of swerve marks on the gravel roads from people loosing control ...............maybe they needed studded tires ?? Nice pic of the Mule Deer ..............hear you about the road warriors ( never call them hunters , that they are not ! )  , we have them here as well , just take a picture of the barrel sticking out of the vehicle , get the licence plate number and call it in , it does work rather well , that would curb them .Drive safe everyone , studded tires or not Smile

60The snow has STARTED! - Page 3 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:21 pm

Schipperkesue wrote:Around here snow tires are a MUST especially when you own a light two wheel drive truck!  I always go the extra mile and have studs put on as well.  I do so much winter driving the difference becomes easily apparent that studded winter tires are much safer.  

And yes, I have scrounged up an extra set of rims too.

I keep my vehicles so long that an extra set of tires just means I have to buy new ones half as often!
I understand what you're saying Sue , I have driven your roads in the winter and yes studded  tires should be mandatory especially with the hilly terrain ! I live where it's flat , a few bumps , other wise it's totally flat .My point is when people cut in front of me on the highway and then crawl because they aren't prepared for the conditions , I've slid into people that way because they couldn't wait for a minute and let me pass when the highway was wide open behind me and I couldn't slow down in time , it just takes a split second !! If they make you a better driver and a safer driver , have at her , I know a lot of people who have them , I just buy tires that cover all conditions ! Pay a bit more and get what you need ? And it would cost far to much to have two sets at what my tires cost .

61The snow has STARTED! - Page 3 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:28 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Boy, did a heavy fog just roll in here!! I can't see anything, not even a 3rd of the way down the drive! I say the temperature must have just plummeted.

62The snow has STARTED! - Page 3 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:12 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

coopslave, The fog dropped here too, then it got colder. Not sure on temp. Haven't got a thermometer Rolling Eyes 

63The snow has STARTED! - Page 3 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:14 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Supposed to be -8C tonight.

64The snow has STARTED! - Page 3 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:05 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

heda gobbler wrote:I've thought about having a "wee chat" too with those hunters driving along with shotgun barrels out every window but then I rethink. "Hello? Shotgun barrels". Most locals know better!  There are hundreds of thousands of acres of Crown land and as you say logging roads and more deer up there anyway.  

But as you say, let it go. I've only lost one heifer to hunters and so far no children (not that i have any myself, but locally).
one heifer is just one too many! geez. no need for that, I might have a little difficulty letting that go. really bad show. I'm super cautious at this time of year. My husband is a hiker, likes to explore but I get worried. there are safer times to go walking in the woods, that's fer sher. don't want to stir a hornets nest so will quit.

65The snow has STARTED! - Page 3 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:53 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

-11C this morning. Good thing I get to drive over and hour in the fresh snow, to look at some hay. Sigh, I know how to pick what day to do things.......

66The snow has STARTED! - Page 3 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:26 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I plan everything by the weather reports. Today is -11 so Doug and I will visit Edmonton for some shopping. Tomorrow will be -1 so that is the day to finish my dog runs and medicate the hens.

67The snow has STARTED! - Page 3 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:37 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

-11?? I think we're supposed to have a high of -17 today. And then COLD tonight.

I put heat lamps in the coop on thermocubes, so they kick on at -18. I don't think they came on last night, so the insulation must be doing its job. Smile

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

68The snow has STARTED! - Page 3 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:07 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

authenticfarm wrote:-11?? I think we're supposed to have a high of -17 today. And then COLD tonight.

I put heat lamps in the coop on thermocubes, so they kick on at -18. I don't think they came on last night, so the insulation must be doing its job. Smile
And THAT is why I do not live where you do Authentic!!! Laughing 

Please tell me of the thermocubes you speak of. I would like something that would go on around that temperature. Interesting.

69The snow has STARTED! - Page 3 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:50 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

coopslave wrote:
authenticfarm wrote:-11?? I think we're supposed to have a high of -17 today. And then COLD tonight.

And THAT is why I do not live where you do Authentic!!!  Laughing 

Please tell me of the thermocubes you speak of.  I would like something that would go on around that temperature.  Interesting.
me too :-)

70The snow has STARTED! - Page 3 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:50 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Magdelan wrote:
coopslave wrote:

And THAT is why I do not live where you do Authentic!!!  Laughing 

Please tell me of the thermocubes you speak of.  I would like something that would go on around that temperature.  Interesting.
me too :-)
Me TOO!!

71The snow has STARTED! - Page 3 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:59 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes please! My thermocubes only go on around zero, sometimes that isn't needed. I see there are programmable ones available (v. Expensive) - is that what you have? Most of the misery/frostbite here seems to happen at -15C and colder.

72The snow has STARTED! - Page 3 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:06 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

coopslave wrote:And THAT is why I do not live where you do Authentic!!!  Laughing 

Ha! You guys got snow earlier than we did. Our weather is actually pretty good. And more predictable than yours. So there!

Husband is a snowmobiler, so he enjoys the part where our snow stays.

heda gobbler wrote:Yes please!  My thermocubes only go on around zero, sometimes that isn't needed.  I see there are programmable ones available (v. Expensive) - is that what you have?  Most of the misery/frostbite here seems to happen at -15C and colder.
I got them on Amazon.com. There are a few different options for temp levels. I got some that go on at 0 and some that go on at -18.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

73The snow has STARTED! - Page 3 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:21 am

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

They are also available at those places that cater to grow ops....Oh dear I meant 'greenhouse supply" stores for around 100$ Stupidly expensive but it depends on your crop I guess.  Hey I'm from the interior of BC, it's what we have come to expect in rural areas and in town for that matter!

74The snow has STARTED! - Page 3 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:48 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Echo 1 wrote:They are also available at those places that cater to grow ops....Oh dear I meant 'greenhouse supply" stores for around 100$ Stupidly expensive but it depends on your crop I guess.  Hey I'm from the interior of BC, it's what we have come to expect in rural areas and in town for that matter!
funny Echo 1, sometimes a person can be driving along the highway and that smell (not my fav) wafts into the car, either through the heater via fan or open window - all times of the year. I am interested in green house supplies for growing food, sometimes wonder if I'm the minority! I just know when I went to get that silvery bubble wrap stuff for insulating the coops (or at least I brought the ceiling lower for heat conservation) - silvery to reflect light as well, I am certain they were thinking they knew my plans, felt I had to say it was for my chicken coop - looking like a scruffy hick from the hills in the nice clean shop! guess I could take a bit more care with that Shocked 

75The snow has STARTED! - Page 3 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:56 pm

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Magdelan wrote:
Echo 1 wrote:They are also available at those places that cater to grow ops....Oh dear I meant 'greenhouse supply" stores for around 100$ Stupidly expensive but it depends on your crop I guess.  Hey I'm from the interior of BC, it's what we have come to expect in rural areas and in town for that matter!
funny Echo 1, sometimes a person can be driving along the highway and that smell (not my fav) wafts into the car, either through the heater via fan or open window  -  all times of the year.  I am interested in green house supplies for growing food, sometimes wonder if I'm the minority!  I just know when I went to get that silvery bubble wrap stuff for insulating the coops (or at least I brought the ceiling lower for heat conservation)  -  silvery to reflect light as well, I am certain they were thinking they knew my plans, felt I had to say it was for my chicken coop  -  looking like a scruffy hick from the hills in the nice clean shop!   guess I could take a bit more care with that Shocked 
Bwah ha ha.  I have bought green house supplies - for my greenhouse to grow FOOD - from those stores before, they are often more affordable than the regular stores and they have a great supply of used supplies...wonder why that is? Seedling mats, jiffy pots and things like that are often a steal in these shops as they sell in bulk.  But they never believe me when I say it's for my tomatoes...they always give me a wink.  But it really is for my tomatoes. Honest.  Shocked

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum