Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added)

+11
bckev
CynthiaM
uno
Fowler
fuzzylittlefriend
toybarons
Schipperkesue
Ruffledfeathers
rosewood
Hidden River
coopslave
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Empty Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:45 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Anyone else getting a bunch of it? We got at least a foot over night and it is still snowing HARD. I was supposed to go to town today, actually I have been tryig to get there for a few days now, but I just am not going to brave these roads.

I am a bit concerned about the roof on the outdoor chook pen. I hope it lasts!!! The dog pen roofs are not looking good either, but when it stops I will deal the them..... sigh..... want any snow anyone?

Last edited by coopslave on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Empty Re: Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:49 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

You can keep it Coopslave.
Nothing like being stuck at the ranch because of the snow...
I imagine we will get it this weekend as well, hubby's birthday on Wednesday so usually the weekend following we get a good dump of snow, will see if this year is the same.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Empty Re: Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:51 am

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

We have had lots of snow this winter and have a heavy snowfall warning in effect today. Our hydro is not very steady, but just off and right back on immediately. We were planning a trip to the big city of Kamloops tomorrow, but will just stay home until the snow stops.

4Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Empty Re: Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:03 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Suspect It started first thing this morning and isn't showing any signs of slowing down. We already have about 3" and will probably get another 3". Another 5-10 tomorrow woo freakin hoo Evil or Very Mad
Hubby was sayin its all the way out west easy 6" on the highway towards Tatla
The downside I just sold the boys snowmobile Shocked oops. Guess I'll have to get them another one right quick

5Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Empty Re: Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:12 am

Yes Coopslave, running around my farm this morning was quite the adventure. I do my chores (usually) in my work clothes with a chore coat thrown on. By the time I had done all I had to do I was soaked!! It was snowing HEAVILY and only about -2 degrees. I got about a foot over the weekend and last night, and I would venture to guess I'll get half that today. And I hear it's supposed to warm up to above 0 this week, so that means rain on top of all this snow. Crying or Very sad I don't mind deep dry fluffy snow at all, but that heavy wet stuff is awful.

Stay safe everyone and don't drive if you don't have to. As I was slogging blindly along to work down the winding country backroads that I commute on, I was trying to imagine that I ride my motorcycle along those same roads in summer. Shocked I have to say I had a really hard time visualizing that...

6Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Empty Re: Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:42 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

How I love a big snow! Why? Because I will have a SNOW DAY and wont have to go to school! I hope we have another one soon!

7Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Empty Re: Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:58 am

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

*giving the evil eye towards Sue*
Really? Razz

8Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Empty Re: Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:19 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We got about 8 inches overnight too. My husband tried to go into work ( kelowna) got to the airport and turned around. He said the roads were awful and not a plow in sight!

The ducks and geese are ok with it but the poor calls came out the door the went back into the barn. Good thing as they would have been burried.

The only chickens that ventured out were the silly polish! They deffinatly fall into the dumb blond catagory ( they are buff).

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

9Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Empty Re: Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:19 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Not getting it at the moment but we got hit a couple of times over the holidays. We've got more on the ground right now than we had all last winter.

10Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Empty Re: Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:22 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

We needed to move a DOA FORD around the yard today to the shop. The snow is so slippery the Dodge 3500 had to be chained. It is hard to plow with the quad because there is so much snow piled along the driveways.

11Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Empty Re: Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:45 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Made a trip, stupidly, to Salmon Arm and traffic was moving about 60k. Our mountain road had not been plowed and still not plowed. We are not a priority route since no school buses run up here. IT can sometimes become a serious gong show out there before we see a plow. I'm thinking we are close to 10 inches fallen up here. Large tree down on horse shelter, freaked out horses bug eyed and pressed against the fence on the far side of their pen. Hubby will need to get the chainsaw out.

Hee hee hee, snicker of evil glee. When 'new' neighbour announced he'd purchased a backhoe for his wife to plow with, I announced our phone number so she can phone for help, HUbby to bring over truck and blade. Oh no, said neighbour man, a backhoe will do the job. No, said I, it will not. But he is one of those men, you know the type, who CANNOT allow any woman to know more than he does. And I have lived up here long enough to know that plowing with a backhoe is simply NOT GOING TO CUT IT! I love being right.

Last edited by uno on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

12Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Empty Re: Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:19 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

A backhoe to clear a driveway? I can't imagine how long that would take.

13Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Empty Re: Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:58 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

A backhoe? And I know Salmon Arm. Been many moons since I was there. Still...a backhoe!? Too funny.

14Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Empty Re: Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:34 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would LOVE a backhoe. In the summer I could dig my goose pond and in the winter I could say "Sorry, I can't come to school today. There is too much snow and I only have a backhoe!"

Yes, Toybarons, we need more snow, and if things happen the way they usually do, if it is snowing in BC we will be due in a week! Woo hoo!

15Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Empty Re: Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:45 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sue, it is snowing here again! You may get the snow day you want, I just hope it doesn't turn up on the weekend for you. Very Happy

16Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Empty Re: Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:22 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Nooooo! I'm driving the puppies to the vet in Wetaskiwin!

17Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Empty Re: Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:44 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh ya, with about 2 inches over night the night before and snowing all day up until about 2:00, we got dumped. About 12 inches at least. It was pretty amazing. The majority of the snow fell in the morning. I use things for markers to measure snow. One is a garbage can that still has my left over apple pulp in it from the apple press. Never got a chance to dump it on the compost pile before it froze solid!! Yes, between 8 AM and 10AM there was an accumulation of 6 or so inches. Pictures to support all these things, by the way, smiling.

I am a record keeper. Last year in December we had about 4 inches accumulated and had rain for 3 days just a day after Christmas. First significant snowfall was January 20, 2102 with 6 inches, and then more.

this year we have had lots of snow, and I mean lots. I added up the amounts snowed (now this is approximate) from my records on last years calendar and we are already at 40 inches!! Go figure. Now to look into the field, it does not look like over 3 feet deep, as it compresses I suppose. But that is packed snow out there I guess. The piles of shoveled show alongside our parking area infront of our home are getting very high. Husband shovels (and I do a little too) each time it snows, to keep this area as clean as possible. It is getting very deep.

Ya, so snow, lots of it, dumped on over and over. today is foggy out, last night just before bedtime, there was clear as clear could be skies. Cold.....freakin' cold. Last year this time it was -11, we haven't dipped that low yet, but I think it is comin'. Good topic by the way, allows me to ramble and express thoughts, imagine that Razz Wonderful day wishes for us all, CynthiaM.

Oh meant to add that we had oldest Grandson and his girlfriend over for dinner last night. I made Gramma Sheppard Pie, he was thrilled and ate his face off. Girlfriend was thrilled too, she has heard over and over about how good Grandma's Sheppard Pie is, smiling. Ate lots, made with the homegrown Black Angus steer we got a side of a couple of months ago. So good, so zero fat, and well, so good...not grease in that hamburger whatsoever. Blah, this was about weather....but...I had to say I had texted them to not come as I thought the roads would have been horrendous. But they showed up, with no problems, he said the roads were pretty clear. That pleased me cause I was worried.

18Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Empty Re: Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:07 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

They got our roads cleaned up by the afternoon. When we were coming home from wrestling last night the fog was so thick in patches that I could even see the end of my hood. Creepy affraid .

Looking at the weather report we are apparently supposed to get another 5-10cm but its usually inches for us Laughing

-14 right now

19Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Empty Re: Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:21 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Snowing heavily here since around 3 PM. Our black dog turned white and is now soaking the laundry room floor. Tomorrow is going to be another day on the quad, but maybe the neighbour is going to be needed with his backhoe equipped Ford to bucket away the piles of snow.

20Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Empty Re: Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:57 pm

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Left work in Penticton this afternoon and the roads were awful, expecting a big dump at home in the mountains above Oliver and all we had was a skiff. Mind you I plowed for two hours after work yesterday. The say there is supposed to be a big dump tonight and then up to plus five tomorrow. Lots of slush, gross to drive in.

21Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Empty Re: Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:36 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

We had another 8 inches today and they are forcasting 25cm so 10 more inches. Man, it has been tough up here, it is difficult to even imagine 10 more inches..... sigh. Got the snow off the dog runs tonight, that was hard work. I am very concerned about the outside chook run, I am not sure it is going to make it. I will try to post some pictures tomorrow.

22Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Empty Re: Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:42 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

They are warning people here not to drive to Vancouver this weekend!

23Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Empty Re: Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:59 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Just did our wrestling drive again and holy smokes if you don't have to be on the roads right now don't its crappy and slick out! We got another couple of inches and they are forcasting more tomorrow.

I feel for yah coop affraid

24Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Empty Re: Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:08 pm

calliope

calliope

coopslave wrote:Got the snow off the dog runs tonight, that was hard work. I am very concerned about the outside chook run, I am not sure it is going to make it.
Hey, Coopie, I got all the snow off the top of the outside dog run yesterday but I imagine another 5 or 10 inches has piled back up again. Got the snow off the outside chook run this morning, walked away and 10 minutes later all the big fir trees dumped their snow-laden branches onto it. Grrrr. Definitely a time-consuming occupation this year, the snow removal, but good for aching shoulder and arm muscles nonetheless Laughing

25Oh My Gordon, the SNOW! (photos added) Empty Here is snow for you Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:26 pm

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Maybe you southern people would like our snowy
winters. I have probably posted the 08 ones before.
But when you wake up and it dumped 31 inches overnight
it is a bit of a shock.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Above March 3 2008

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
This was Feb 2011 storm the drifting snow closed in all pathways to the barn to the tractor etc. We had to hire someone to come snow blow us out just so we could get our old 9N tractor out. I had to climb the gate to the barn and wade though several feet of snow.
Not fun when you are short and round.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum