Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The snow has STARTED!

+18
islandgal99
Ruffledfeathers
CynthiaM
SerJay
Farmer Bob
coopslave
bcboy
Echo 1
lady leghorn
Magdelan
authenticfarm
HigginsRAT
bigrock
rosewood
bckev
heda gobbler
Nom_de_Plume
Schipperkesue
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 8]

126The snow has STARTED! - Page 6 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:40 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hijacking...more addictive than Heroin!

127The snow has STARTED! - Page 6 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:41 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The best thing is the snow on the ground everything completely calm and you yell at kids to come in while the sound carries for a 100kms and you want to dig a hole and bury yourself in the snow in embarrassment LOL

128The snow has STARTED! - Page 6 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:13 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Hijacking...more addictive than Heroin!
yup, even more tricky than cigarettes and that's saying something Embarassed  actually, I heard cigarettes were more difficult than heroin but not sure how they tested that. Suspect 

129The snow has STARTED! - Page 6 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:16 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Snowing steadily here tonight with a temperature right at freezing. The forecast is for colder weather mid week.

130The snow has STARTED! - Page 6 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:29 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

We are entering a abnormal temperature trend here. After tonight the temps will keep dropping until we reach a low of -30 tomorrow night.

131The snow has STARTED! - Page 6 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:09 pm

Schipperkesue wrote:We are entering a abnormal temperature trend here.  After tonight the temps will keep dropping until we reach a low of -30 tomorrow night.
Wow , that's cold ! we just got our first snow that might actually stay ? temp in the single digits , plus one say ,minus the next ? confusing

132The snow has STARTED! - Page 6 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:34 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:After tonight the temps will keep dropping until we reach a low of -30 tomorrow night.

I hope you keep that sort of temperature on that side of the mountains.

133The snow has STARTED! - Page 6 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:09 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

And just where do you think it is originating from? Very Happy 

134The snow has STARTED! - Page 6 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:00 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

We just love sharing everything with you wonderful neighbours. Cold, snow, rain and all. Very Happy 

-16 here and grey high cloud. Was supposed to get to -20 tomorrow night but it has started to warm up thru the week now. Just getting single digit negatives.

I'm so okay with that. With hubby's injury we haven't gotten our wood supply finished yet and I am not looking forward to it at -20

135The snow has STARTED! - Page 6 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:03 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Got a dump of snow overnight that they were not calling for - compare this photo to the one I posted yesterday! We have about 10" and they were only calling for 1-3 cm overnight. And it's still coming down.

Bus isn't running, so I have not only my own kids home, but my niece and nephew as well.

I plan to start drinking soon.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

136The snow has STARTED! - Page 6 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:24 am

Buff

Buff

Yep looks like are place Authenticfarm I didn't expect this much snow overnight affraid still have to go out an feed horses I may need snowshoes for that lol. At least it's a light fluffy snow easy to shovel.

137The snow has STARTED! - Page 6 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:17 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

My coop looks pretty in the snow.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by authenticfarm on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

138The snow has STARTED! - Page 6 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:21 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

The sky at your place looks full of snow.

That looks like a very cozy coop!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

139The snow has STARTED! - Page 6 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:39 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

140The snow has STARTED! - Page 6 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:45 am

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

High of -19 today with grey heavy cloud and dusting snow coming down wish it would stay like this or bring back yesterdays blue sky.  Its going to warm up boooooo  +3 to -5 thursday to sunday with rain which means sloppy mucky and icy Mad

141The snow has STARTED! - Page 6 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:48 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

heck you guys, you are all so much further along than we are and waaaaay colder.  I'm worried that we'll be making up for our lack of snow and cold in a big way once it starts happening properly.  Every time we have a snow fall I think it will be staying but right now it is nearly 10am and we are at about 3 or 4 above (like you Serjay), everything is melting, roads are nasty  -  had a little slide in our stinky wee truck taking boys to the bus this morning.  If we plowed the slush today we'd wreck the drive but it will freeze tonight and make a skating rink.  yick yack.   supposed to be minus 4 tomorrow but plus 7 today.  chooks are happy enough, they have scratch on bare ground in places out there  -  nice for them.

Your coop does look pretty Authentic, especially up the right way Smile .

Going to make the nipple waterer thingies today/tomorrow and put the heating tape around the bucket but the way we've been going maybe the thermostat won't even come on. I know it will get colder though.

142The snow has STARTED! - Page 6 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:37 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Pretty awful here today too. -20C right now and going down tonight. Bad tomorrow and then we are getting better. They are talking double digit pluses, but I actually hope that doesn't happen.

143The snow has STARTED! - Page 6 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:59 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I see that the road between Nanton and Calgary is not advised travel, white out conditions. How is it up in your area Coopslave?
We are cold here, supposed to be -26 with the windchill tomorrow, too darn cold if you ask me. We have a little bit of snow falling but it is light, but that wind is making things really nasty.
Gave everyone a bit more straw today when I got home from the city, hoping they can snuggle in and stay warm for the next couple days.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

144The snow has STARTED! - Page 6 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:29 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Eek tonights low supposed to be -20 but it's only 7pm and already -24 Sad  I'm procrastinating but gotta go do chores and thinking my goats are not going to appreciate my cold hands milking tonight.  Lots of hay, sturdy shelters, clean cozy barn and coops but still feel bad for the critters outside.  -14 is nice but -24 isn't much fun I'm feelin wussy not wanting to go outside

145The snow has STARTED! - Page 6 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:39 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

We've just passed the -15C mark, going down. All the chores are done - everyone very anxious to go to bed....

We may not be much longer either!

146The snow has STARTED! - Page 6 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:59 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I dressed hubby up with my oven mitt on his sore hand and got him to come out with me LOL  Everyone seemed to be settled nicely for the night.  My stupid flourescent light in my tack room/milking room/many other things room hehe refused to even turn slightly orange on the ends tonight so only the dull glow of the barn hallway CFLs through the window in the door.  I'm going to have to look into one of those forehead flashlights cause milking in the near dark is asking for trouble Twisted Evil

147The snow has STARTED! - Page 6 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:05 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hate those headlamps - there is too much contrast between what it lights and everything else. You can get a handheld lantern with varied degrees of light that plugs in to recharge - put it beside you when you milk.

Tried to put the sheep away last week with only the car's headlights and found that they hate the glare and weird shadows too. Had to turn off all the lights and put them to bed by moonlight at last.

Thank goodness for oven mitts!!

148The snow has STARTED! - Page 6 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:38 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Tonight's forecast was for about -9, but the outside thermometer says -16. The updated forecast gets back to a daytime high of 0 on Sunday. We have some snow on the ground from last night. amazingly our creek is now running with a good flow which really helps as we only have one stock tank heater and it is being used for the pigs.

149The snow has STARTED! - Page 6 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:35 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Crazy weather eh? Night before last it rained, the rains from hell itself. I kid you not, our 47 gallon rainbarrel filled up, the secondary 40 gallon one that the big one runs into filled up and the half rain barrel that the secondary one drains into filled up. Now that is a whole lotta rain. And dangerous. We have had some freezy nights before, only like -1. Our hose had water in it and it froze, no biggy, but had to thaw that cause I had to do something. so much rain. Last night, it was -6, clear skies, the moon very bright. Yesterday I had to dig some roosters out cause they got caught in quick sand. Blah, long story, but I'll make it short. I put about 6 inches of sand from a pile SIL brought for me to spread around where I wanted it in the chickens. I made 3 big piles in the centre of the end north coop outside, thinking that it would be high ground and they would like it. Extraordinary and stupid amounts of rain got in those high piles, the birds walked (2 of them) onto them and sunk right up to their bellies. They could NOT get out. Stuck like glue. Quicksand. I was really glad I was there, cause I had to dig them out. I spent the next half hour digging all that sand piled up and spreading it around the coop. Blick. Whooda thunk? I would never. And whooda thunk that that much rain would have fallen. But quick sand? Really? Thunderstruck. In the afternoon I went and spread the sand better and have more to do today, it was all dry and firm, as this type of sand is. Not sure what I am going to do, but I have my thinking cap on, this must not happen again. Geeze. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

150The snow has STARTED! - Page 6 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:16 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Shocked 

Weird, Cynthia!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum