Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The snow has STARTED!

+18
islandgal99
Ruffledfeathers
CynthiaM
SerJay
Farmer Bob
coopslave
bcboy
Echo 1
lady leghorn
Magdelan
authenticfarm
HigginsRAT
bigrock
rosewood
bckev
heda gobbler
Nom_de_Plume
Schipperkesue
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 8]

26The snow has STARTED! - Page 2 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:16 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

yep. it isn't melting. not falling right now but thin layer of not so nice snow out there - it's really a layer of hail that has little layer of snow on top - crunchy. ick. sort of dark out there. the darkness and lack of light is the long haul for me.

27The snow has STARTED! - Page 2 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:07 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Magdelan,

We thought it was so nice and warm there? Not so much in the winter? We lived in Armstrong, when we come back we were hoping it would be warmer in Oliver ? Question Question 

28The snow has STARTED! - Page 2 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:40 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

lady leghorn wrote:Magdelan,

We thought it was so nice and warm there?  Not so much in the winter?   We lived in Armstrong, when we come back we were hoping it would be warmer in Oliver ?  Question Question 
Hi Lady Leghorn, when do you plan to return? it really is nice in Osoyoos. I marvel, they get only a little bit of snow every year (by comparison to where we actually live) and some nasty icy road stuff but not really the same winter experience where I live. We are further up the surrounding hillside going towards the Rockies. I am at 3 300 ft and we have about 2 - 3 ' snow for most of the duration - four months give or take. Osoyoos doesn't get anything like that, it is pretty nice and so is Oliver but still cold for someone who comes from a part of NZ that gets a frost in the winter at most! I really like Oliver actually. It has lots of cool things going for it - one of the most recently discovered is the little movie theatre there. It is locally owned and they use real butter on their popcorn - and cheaper too, $8.50 for an adult for 3D and $7.50 for not 3D. This is not weather related but still seriously important stuff! Smile 

BCKev is the guy to ask about weather in Oliver although he lives up the other side of the same hill as I do but he will know Oliver really well no doubt. Osoyoos has much nicer weather than us and Oliver is only 15 min drive further north so probably very similar. People are putting their gardens in in March/April down the hill and we are thinking about it late May - maybe 6 weeks after they are. We do get more sun up here I think though - above the clouds often.

29The snow has STARTED! - Page 2 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:45 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

The view out my living room window this afternoon ...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

30The snow has STARTED! - Page 2 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:28 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

The snow has stopped here and started to melt. The forecast for the next few days is for temperature of -4 at night to +4 during the day.

31The snow has STARTED! - Page 2 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:39 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Magdelain, Sounds our kind of place to retire. I think we have more snow than authenticfarm affraid 

Have a small lot, no place to push the snow, with the skidsteer. We are so sick of the snow and cold out here Brrrrrrrr. Sad

We want to come back in the spring and look around, again. We loved it there. That's neat about the movie theatre. Do they have a

hospital there? We noticed ( too late) a British Fish and Chips shop too. The fruit was Soooo good. Boy do we miss that.

32The snow has STARTED! - Page 2 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:54 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yeah, we didn't get much here. Maybe 4". Closer to Lloydminster, they got nearly a foot.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

33The snow has STARTED! - Page 2 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:00 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

lady leghorn wrote:Magdelain,   Sounds our kind of place to retire.   I think we have more snow than authenticfarm  affraid 

Have a small lot, no place to push the snow, with the skidsteer.  We are so sick of the snow and cold out here Brrrrrrrr.  Sad

We want to come back in the spring and look around, again.   We loved it there.  That's neat about the movie theatre.  Do they have a

hospital there?   We noticed ( too late) a British Fish and Chips shop too.  The fruit was Soooo good. Boy do we miss that.  
good idea to look around. I don't know if CynthiaM has snow yet? I like it up there, much greener than down our end of the valley, we are semi arid here also. Very lovely and green around Grindrod/Armstrong areas - you will know about that already I guess but maybe they get more snow too. Yes, hospital in Oliver. Ooooo, fish and chips. I am missing that like crazy. NZ snapper is to die for. nearest fish to the texture over here is a walleye/peckeral - think it is from Manitoba? delicious.

34The snow has STARTED! - Page 2 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:19 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Way more snow in Armstrong. Once it's there, it's there till spring. Nice and green, but would rather have less green, more warm. Lol.

Do you get scorpions and rattlesnakes there? Not on subject but important. Don't like them. Sad

Good to know about the hospital. cheers 

35The snow has STARTED! - Page 2 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:07 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, Coopslave, I guess I am one of those stupid ones.... Razz 

I drove to Red deer yesterday to show the doggies. I finished both of them cheers  then drove back this afternoon. I heard how awful highway 2 was so took the secondary highways all the way home. They were horrible too. It was a white knuckled drive. Had to stop to pass a bad accident involving a tanker truck.

No more dog shows until spring!

36The snow has STARTED! - Page 2 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:16 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Dont' worry Sue, we were stupid ones again today on the road.
Glad you did well at your show and it was all worth it for you. Keep bugging me, I will try to get to one eventually.

37The snow has STARTED! - Page 2 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:01 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We have joined the throng.  Snow is here this morning, maybe 5 inches?  still coming down.  Think it will stay too.  I made an outdoor pen for the Banties and they got a quick run around in it yesterday in the golden hour  -  last snow free scratch.  Today I don't think they will put one single toe in to that cold white stuff, they so short they'd go right up to their diddies!  You can see the outlet sort of  -  it is offset and they have a covered zone which has a little dirt before the wooden floor of the clucky duck house I put there and then the netted hoop run which I'll keep covered in future with a tarp so they have outside ground to run on, keep it snow free maybe.  I don't know if it will work but I want to give it a go.   I have to keep them covered, they'd get inhaled by a passing coyote in two seconds flat. There is no secure run for them there, ceiling netting or not.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

38The snow has STARTED! - Page 2 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:31 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Wow snow covering all you guys south of us but snow just started 5mins ago here.  I thought for sure I'd wake up to white this morning when I went out to do chores last night and found that the alpacas had actually come into the barn and snuggled in for the night with the sissy goats Smile

39The snow has STARTED! - Page 2 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:39 pm

Nom_de_Plume

Nom_de_Plume

we had snow here this morning but it's all melted now Very Happy 

40The snow has STARTED! - Page 2 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:47 pm

I just had a little skiff overnight. About 1/4" that I hope will be gone by the time I go home.

41The snow has STARTED! - Page 2 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:35 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

We've had snow off and on all day. Some has melted today, but the hoses used to water chickens and pigs did not thaw today. It is time to switch to winter watering.

42The snow has STARTED! - Page 2 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:44 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Must mean more is coming this way, sigh......

43The snow has STARTED! - Page 2 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:56 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Forecast for snow, Thursday and Friday.

44The snow has STARTED! - Page 2 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:22 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Actually, just had a look, no more forecast for here. That's good. Going to bet a bit chilly on the weekend and then improve.

45The snow has STARTED! - Page 2 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:07 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

On Monday morning the snow was ¾ the way down the eastern mountain.  We have had rain and rain and rain.  Yesterday morning woke up to a whisper of snow everywhere, I would say about ½ inch.  Weather remained well above zero, about 3-4 and no more snow it melted.  Last year our first whisper of snow was about November 20.  Then no more snow until December 7, at which time one inch fell.  That did not melt and almost every day thereafter well into February, there was about 2-4 inches of snow, a couple of times more, like 6-8 inches.  I keep records on a calendar and it is very interesting to revisit, time and again.  The total accumulated snow for the season of 2012 to 2013 was about 48 inches.  There was approximately 33 inches at the end of December.  Those inches add up, as they come down, cover the old and make for new.  Beautiful though, and no sand in our home.  Husband kept the chicken runs cleared of snow every time it snowed and there were some pretty big snow banks outside the pens, but the chickens had clear ground all winter.  Glory be to my Husband, he cares and I am loved, smiling.  I think this year will again be a whack of snow, it is coming, but so far so good, and yep, we lived in a very green area of our province.  Have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Snow ¾ the way down the eastern mountain

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

46The snow has STARTED! - Page 2 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:57 am

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Our chickens are afraid of the snow!  First morning we have had snow that hit the ground in the main run (it's well protected by tree branches) I opened the pop door, the first hen got 1/2 way through and stopped dead in her tracks!  The rest of the gang was oh so confused as to why she was blocking the door. This spring's hatch and they have never had to step into snow before......  My chickens are wimps!  LOL

47The snow has STARTED! - Page 2 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:05 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

We have had snow off and on for a month now. Nothing has stayed till now. Although now it warms up just enough to make the road slicker than snot on a doorknob!!

Glad to hear everybody made it home safe and sound.

I managed to get my new winter tires but it was after shop hours so now I have to find a shop that can put them on. That's a problem. My regular tire guy had an easy 60 Shocked  cars yesterday and he runs a 1st come 1st serve policy, which I don't have a problem with. My problem is I let things go a little to far and now I'm paying for it Embarassed Probably won't get tires mounted till Saturday, oh well. Self note: Don't do this again.

48The snow has STARTED! - Page 2 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:45 am

Nom_de_Plume

Nom_de_Plume

Ya the snow tire on off thing can be a PITA, last year I bought (scrounged at pick'n'pull) an extra set of rims. Now I can swap my tires as the season demands without having to book an appointment (and possibly have to wait) It's bliss.

49The snow has STARTED! - Page 2 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:49 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Nom_de_Plume wrote:Ya the snow tire on off thing can be a PITA, last year I bought (scrounged at pick'n'pull) an extra set of rims. Now I can swap my tires as the season demands without having to book an appointment (and possibly have to wait) It's bliss.
this is what we do too.  So long as we don't need now tires it makes this time of year a piece of cake.  Drive safe until you can get them done ruffledfeathers Smile

50The snow has STARTED! - Page 2 Empty Re: The snow has STARTED! Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:53 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Ruffledfeathers wrote: Although now it warms up just enough to make the road slicker than snot on a doorknob!!

aaah the vision-thanks ruffled feathers

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum