Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

THink ink. Tattoo talk.

+8
CynthiaM
appway
toybarons
coopslave
Schipperkesue
Moose
authenticfarm
uno
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1THink ink. Tattoo talk. Empty THink ink. Tattoo talk. Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:11 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

THe kid wants a tattoo.

Of course she's 20. IT's her body. But I still caution her that things, like tattoos, are pretty permanent, and therefore not to be entered into lightly.

I don't know how I feel about tattoos.

I think if done well, placed well, on lovely, young, firm skin, they can look like art. But my concenr is that one day you wake up and don't look like you're 20 anymore. And that lovely skin...changes. IT gets a little wrinkly, a little loose, a little saggy. And then does you tattoo still look gret or does it just look wrong?

I'm sure we have the inked among us. Did you get your tattoo as a young person and do you regret it or are you happy with it many years later? OR did you get your tat as a rebellious 50 year old who decided it was time for a deadhead on your chest (male chest or female chest, either way) I want to know.

I am not against ink, just think serious thought needs to be put into it. I am even toying withthe idea...although I am shocked at myself for thinking it. I kind of like that face tattoo the guy in Hangover 2 woke up with...

2THink ink. Tattoo talk. Empty Re: THink ink. Tattoo talk. Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:06 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I like tattoos as an art form, but I think they should be restricted to locations that can be covered with a t-shirt and shorts (for men) or a short strapless dress (for women). As a photographer, it drives me bonkers when that one bridesmaid has a big ol' tattoo across her back ...

Sure, that covers up some prime real estate, but really, when's the last time you saw the president of a bank with a neck tattoo? The principal of a school with a full sleeve? An MP with stars tattooed on her temple? Society judges people with visible tattoos. I'm not saying it's right, that's just the way it is.

(And yes, as a business owner, I hire people with tattoos!)

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

3THink ink. Tattoo talk. Empty Re: THink ink. Tattoo talk. Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:26 am

Moose

Moose
New Here

Well I am most certainly pro tattoo with 6 now and counting, I started with my first at 16 and have plans for more in the future. My biggest piece of advice for anyone, young or old, looking to get a tattoo is to never choose anything you've found on the wall at the tattoo shop.

I'm not saying there aren't some artists out there that have real art but the key to getting a tattoo that you won't regret and will be proud of even when you are older is to get something unique and personal to you. My first was a hand drawn eagle that I did myself(well modified from an existing drawing I had found), I chose it as a tribute to my grandfather who had just passed away. He had an eagle tattoo he had done in India when he was 17 and in the British Navy.

I did get one more tattoo when I was under 20 that I didn't choose wisely and was done by a poor artist, luckily it is something that can be covered easily with new art which I have been designing. All of my others since I searched long and hard for, made sure they had a personal meaning behind them and had them done by artists...not some punk 20 yr old who thinks its cool to do tattoos but an actual artist. The way I chose the person who did my biggest, most beautiful piece was to research local artists and then visit each one and get their reactions to the piece and the way I wanted it done. The artist I chose was a no brainer, she specialized in the style I wanted and her work was amazing but the kicker was her reaction to the design I brought in....." I will love you forever if you let me do that piece ". Not the instant talk of money from every other artist or how they'd change the design, she was excited about it, she even booked an entire day just for my tattoo so she didn't have anything else to worry about.

That's my best advice.

4THink ink. Tattoo talk. Empty Re: THink ink. Tattoo talk. Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:33 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am tattooless unless you count the ink on my fingers caused by wriggling bunnies during the tattoo process.

I am either pro nor anti tattoo but I will share a couple tattoo jokes. One comedienne said, why would you tattoo something on your skin you would never hang on a wall? The other said, my wife got a tattoo of a rose on her breast. As she is aging it is becoming a long stemmed rose!

I guess they are saying, choose your art and location wisely and with time as a guideline.

5THink ink. Tattoo talk. Empty Re: THink ink. Tattoo talk. Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:43 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I always wanted a tatto when I was younger. I could never decide what to get or where I wanted it, so I never got one. I am kinda happy I didn't, but still think of getting one, once in a while.

I think as a woman you must choose the spot very carefully. Gravity does things to a womans body that it does not do to a mans. Shocked
I also think, as Authenitcfarm mentions, you have to think about what you want to represent in the future.
Moose makes very good points about what and who.

When I was in my mid 20s I saw an older, 60ish, woman with a lot of tatoos. I have to say they didn't look great. She was dressed nicely and in a nice restaurant but they really did not look nice. That put me off them for a long time!

So here I sit on the fence, liking them, often wanting one, but never taking the plunge and actually being rather happy, most days, that I didn't.

You know if she gets one you have to post a photo here of it, right? Laughing

6THink ink. Tattoo talk. Empty Re: THink ink. Tattoo talk. Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:51 am

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

My worry about getting inked is in fact the ink used. As someone with skin allergies it worries me what if I have a reaction? Many years ago when I was considering being inked I saw a news report on how some red inks can cause a severe reaction in some people. Then not a few weeks ago I had the tv on and they were talking how there are no regulations on what kinds of inks are used for tattoos. THis was followed by wonderful pictures of tattoos on inflamed and infected skin.

I do enjoy watching the tattoo shows though. I loved Inked on Spike and Tattoo Nightmares.

7THink ink. Tattoo talk. Empty Re: THink ink. Tattoo talk. Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:37 am

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Nothing is really wrong with Tats
Alot depends on the Tat and where it is
remind here that a Tat in the small of the Back is Considered a Wh**e Stamp.
Also remind her that a Tat is not Painless
There is pain involved
How big of a tat is she planning on?

I love them and if they are nice and done by someone that is good they are beautiful.
and as for the Placement of them a good Artist will explain to her what will happen to the tat with age

8THink ink. Tattoo talk. Empty Re: THink ink. Tattoo talk. Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:12 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Such a subject, I love many tatoos, but I feel need to be placed properly. I do not like the look of an overly tatooed body, but have seen some very beautiful tatoos that look incredible. Daughter should be realized that the body does change, so the place for her tatoo should be where the design will not change shape. There are many places on the body that don't change that much. It is painful, depending on where they are inked. I heard the underside of the bicep, the ribs and the ankles are pretty painful. I can attest to the ankle. When I had my tatoo done, I almost couldn't go through with the entire procedure it hurt so much. But I would do it again, I loved the results. Let her go. She is old enough that she will make up her own mind no matter what you tell her, just hope she chooses something appropriate and in the proper spot. My youngest gal has the most incredible tat of a rearing horse on the small of her back, and a few others. That horse one is most delightful and looks fabulous on her body. I really love that one. Other Daughter, she does not have any interest in inking her body. Funny, those two are like the night and day, in every regard, except love for family and animals Cool . Let Horsey Non-Teen-Not-Quite-Adult go and do her own thing, you know the control is gone, smiling. (probably was gone many years ago, I bet my two dollars).

My tatoo is one of the Akan African tribe, which signifies a quest for knowledge. The brown background of the tatoo is not brown, it is a light blackey grey, don't know why it looks brown here. Have a most beautiful day, CynthiaM.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

9THink ink. Tattoo talk. Empty Re: THink ink. Tattoo talk. Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:16 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

One more thought upon many many good ones.

CHOOSE YOUR ARTIST VERY WISELY!

10THink ink. Tattoo talk. Empty Re: THink ink. Tattoo talk. Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:22 am

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:One more thought upon many many good ones.

CHOOSE YOUR ARTIST VERY WISELY!

Agree!! Never get your tattoo done freehanded by an artist with a bong. Saw that one last night on Tattoo Nightmares. Yikes!

11THink ink. Tattoo talk. Empty Re: THink ink. Tattoo talk. Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:37 am

Hmm,
My daughter has less tattoos than I do, but the last one, we got together, a few months ago, here in Elk Point, Alberta. I also have 7 holes in my ears, a pierced navel and nose. I have absolutely no regrets about the tattoos or piercings and was a school teacher for many years, as well as many other careers. Students admired my tattoos and not once did a principal or parent comment negatively. Tattooing is a very ancient form of art practiced all over the world and yes, while it is painful, it does produce lasting results. A good tattoo artist can modify a bad tattoo to become something entirely different as well. People who do not know me are very surprised to learn about my tattoos because their first impression is that (for some reason) I am a prim and proper lady. They also watch their language immediately. I took swearing lessons from my kids before moving to Alberta and now I know how to properly curse with the best of them, but I watch my language or just forget to swear most of the time.

As far as your daughter goes, please consider allowing her to make her own decision after you have expressed your true feelings and concerns. She may decide not to get a tattoo if she has your permission to choose, or you might just join her.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

12THink ink. Tattoo talk. Empty Re: THink ink. Tattoo talk. Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:05 pm

cbrookkelly

cbrookkelly
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I just recently got my first then within 2 weeks got my next one and am planning more. The first one is something I thought long and hard for and wanted no matter what. I had a wonderful artist design and do it. She was so excited to do something so origninal and meaningful. I am really pleased with the result and wanted another right away (my artist is moving our of country). Nothing wrong with with an excellent tattoo done properly and placed nicely. Good work takes many, many hours....I didn't find any of it painful...maybe a little irritating during the last half hour or so. Felt like a sunburn for a few days, then very itchy for a few more. Healing takes some time. Pick something classy and your own. Try not to get caught up in "fads" like the current candy skulls. They will be out so fast...like the tribal tattoos ...

This is my ankh with all my Sons' birthstones and surrounded by a string of pears. An ankh is a symbol of life and pearls are timeless and were once considered priceless. This pic was taken moments after it was completed. On my upper arm. (5 hours)

This next one is on my lower leg above my ankle. Orange poppies are my favorite flower and just love this piece. My artist drew it and it is not on any wall lol. Again, picture taken just after it was finished (3 hours)

13THink ink. Tattoo talk. Empty Re: THink ink. Tattoo talk. Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:28 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Recently Daughter was dating a fellow who I called Tattoo Boy. He has two full sleeves, wrist to shoulder. One looks like an idiot with a Sharpie did it. Tribal, but in an overly black, blunt blocky way.

The other arm is a marvel. It is a coi (huge goldfish) swimming amongst blooming lily pads. Lots of round, flowing, swirling, bubbly details. Done all in black with amazing shading. As tattoos go, it's a jaw dropper and as Moose said, an original work of art that is not hanging in a shop somewhere.

Authenticfarm, I agree when I see some huge shoulder tat glaring out at me from a bridal party, it is a little distracting. While I realize Daughter is 20 and can make her own decisions, I know she will regret doing something just for the shock value it causes mom. And yes, she's like that. HEr and I are at that place where she likes to say she is 20 and does not need my permission anymore. To which I reply true, however people who offend my sensibilites will not be living under my roof, so think that one over before you find yourself homeless, smart one. If she is so damn sure she doesn't need my permission, maybe she doesn't need my hospitality, either! (but this is a topic for another day)

SO if you know nothing about tattoos, how do you judge who is good and who is bad? Define the differences?

I am thinking...ever so vaguley...of getting a tat on my wrist. On the SIDE of my wrist, below but inline with the pinky finger. NOt topside, not bottom side, but sideside. And I like the idea of brown ink, the henna look, softer, a little more exotic and cultural than the black, a bit more subtle because subtle is what I am aiming for. And since I have recentyl had the last birthday I can ahave in the 40s, I have a pretty realistic idea of where my skin is going. DOWNHILL baby, it's all downhill.

Hey Coopslave, maybe you and I ought to get together for a few drinks then head out for some wreckless tatooing! We're old enough to know better and old enough to not give a damn anymore!

CCBKelly, those tats are awesome! I have to say I have liked all the tats you posters have shared. I like that they reflect meaning and careful consideration.

14THink ink. Tattoo talk. Empty Re: THink ink. Tattoo talk. Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:10 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote:
Hey Coopslave, maybe you and I ought to get together for a few drinks then head out for some wreckless tatooing! We're old enough to know better and old enough to not give a damn anymore!

Interesting thought Uno. Don't tempt me, I may just go through with it and drag you along. We can have our midlife crisis together! Laughing Hubby would actually love me to get a tat. I think I will stay away from the tramp stamp, even though I am at the age that gravity has done most of it's damage, I have never really been that type of girl. No really, I haven't! Wink
I have always thought something girly around my wrist or ankle would be nice. Probably the only girly thing about me though. Rolling Eyes

15THink ink. Tattoo talk. Empty Re: THink ink. Tattoo talk. Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:23 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

One word CBKelly - AWESOME!!!

16THink ink. Tattoo talk. Empty Re: THink ink. Tattoo talk. Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:39 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

I can say that I am pro ink. I have 2 original pieces both of which I have to un-cover for it to be seen.
My 1st I was 20ish and I had a butterflies body with a tigers face inside it plastered between my shoulder blades and babied that sucker for years so it wouldn't fad. I then had a arm band in black n grey done up to honor my boys and our heritage. Its a celtic wrap with a lotus flower on water with the horoscope symbol for cancer(not the crab) appearing above.

Both are my designs and both of my artists had "dentist" clean shops.
Both at times were very painful, spine, shoulder blade, under the arm. Will I do it again heck yah, I'm shopping right now. However I am known for taking years in between because I want it to be tastful, well placed and beautiful.

It can be enjoyed and for some there is deep signifigance to this for others I have met its an addiction.

17THink ink. Tattoo talk. Empty Re: THink ink. Tattoo talk. Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:22 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Let's talk about pain.

I do not like pain. IT's one of my least favourite things.

And fading. What fades ink? What makes ink get that blurry look sometimes instead of staying crisp and clear?

Is the pain mostly while it's being done or during recovery? Just HOW painful is this? I've watched some youtube vids. Some people seem to do okay, others, not so well.

What is the cost? Do you pay per square inch or hour or by the colour?

Where is Hillbilly? We know that boy is tatted. And Fowler, come on, you closet bad a$$, we know you have those spanky knuckle tattoos. LOVE and HATE or GOOD and EVIL or LEFT and RITE.

18THink ink. Tattoo talk. Empty Re: THink ink. Tattoo talk. Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:38 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

I find the older I get the better I deal with pain. In my youth I would panic and get nausea at the site of blood. After having 2 kids I have gotten better with my breathing(ha go figure) and reaction time.

Fading can be sun, area, bad ink.

Think of a scratch that can scab over and heal. Some people don't even have that.

Pay is based on the artist. More color more time more detail.
example both of mine were by the hour, but they also counted how many colors I had.

anybody else's input I'm curious what others were charged and how their experiences worked out for them?.

19THink ink. Tattoo talk. Empty Re: THink ink. Tattoo talk. Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:46 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

One other question: scaring.

My body loves nothing better than to make a forever dark, raised scar no matter how slight the injury.

Would a tattoo create scarring?

20THink ink. Tattoo talk. Empty Re: THink ink. Tattoo talk. Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:54 pm

cbrookkelly

cbrookkelly
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Well the one on my arm was not painful at all. Towards the end at 4.5 hours it did get somewhat irritating. That may have been due to the fact that I had been sitting all afternoon lol! The one on my leg did make me wince a few time though. Kind of feels like a hot pen drawing on your body. Healing for the arm was slight scabbing over, not with blood but with plasma...that clearish fluid. Gentle washing and applying a really good moisterizer felt great. Sort of feels like a really good sunburn for a few days then the itching for a few more days then gone and healed. Price varies so much. I found anywhere from 100/hr to 140/hr. So a nice piece is costly. Minimums seems to be $80.

Fading I have been told is caused by two things. Sun exposure and the ink not being placed EAXCTLY in the right layer of skin. There is a fine line as to placing the ink deep enough to stay fresh looking and not too deep as to cause scarring. Same with sharpness of line work. So, an experienced artist is essential. AND sunscreen Very Happy
I have researched and asked sooo many questions before I permanently put artwork on my body. To some, one is enough. For others, we have just started lol! Now I will not have a full sleeve but I do have a leg that is going to be adorned very shortly Very Happy

21THink ink. Tattoo talk. Empty Re: THink ink. Tattoo talk. Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:51 pm

Moose

Moose
New Here

The vast majority of artists charge by the hour, designs with fine line work and more shading take more time and therefore more money.

Fading can be avoided by the location of the tattoo and your type of skin, also ink quality. The more the tattoo is exposed to the sun the more it will fade so location is a big factor.

The longest I have ever sat is 6.5 hours and that was on my back, I always describe the pain as being like taking a pin and scraping it along your skin. Not hard to break the skin, it's more of an irritating pain for me rather than anything intense but after 6.5 hrs it does start to ache a bit. The first couple of hours afterwards you will be tender in the spot of course but I've never had any lasting pain.

22THink ink. Tattoo talk. Empty Re: THink ink. Tattoo talk. Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:40 pm

I am neither for or against tat's ,it's a personal choice.But I do admit that when I see a full sleeve on a person I no longer see the person ,it's to over powering and I personally don't like them loud ,rather descreet and I feel it represents the person because they choose the design .Once they cover to much of the body I feel it's been over done ,but that's just my veiw on it .

23THink ink. Tattoo talk. Empty Re: THink ink. Tattoo talk. Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:35 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I always wanted one, but, knowing myself all too well, I needed to wait, so I didnt regret it later in life. I got one on my 36th birthday. If you know anything about tattoos, you know the Koi has deep symbolic meaning to the Japanese. For one, it symbolizes strength, and courage. You also see the fish only swimming upstream on Japanese people, for symbolic reasons.
Ive also liked mermaids since I was a kid, so I foun d a piece of art that worked with both for meanings for me.
The woman in your life should give you strength and courage to get through lifes trials and tribulations, so I got this done. Her hair is creating the koi.

It isnt finished in this photo, more detail was done.

That was 2 hours of black for shading, and another visit of 3.5 hours for the color. Its the color that hurts more as they use more needles and afre basically scraping the skin.
I found my artist by looking through his portfolio. I spent a day looking at his work in binders he had in his shop.
I also found out he airbrushed, something I did for years, and it involves so much pre-work to make the finished artwork stand out, that I knew he was my guy.

24THink ink. Tattoo talk. Empty Re: THink ink. Tattoo talk. Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:42 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

This Guy charges $100 per hour.

25THink ink. Tattoo talk. Empty Re: THink ink. Tattoo talk. Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:07 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thats one of the nicer koi tats I've seen in a long time! Smile I personally am not a mermaid fan but the way you did everything it all fits nicely. I can only imagine how well it finished.

I remember meeting a very beautiful girl who had a black n grey longhorn skull mounted on a voluptious semi nude female body. She was telling me that she got hasseled on a regular basis about this particular tat. I was more amazed at how the artist made it feel so life like. She smiled grateful and we parted ways. I only seen her a couple of times after that but I will always remember her and her tat.

After that I started looking more into the black n grey work.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum