Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Horse tattoo

+8
Blue Hill Farm
Dark Wing Duck
CynthiaM
Fowler
rosewood
coopslave
Brook
uno
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Horse tattoo Empty Horse tattoo Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:33 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Any guesses? Photo has been tweaked to enhance the tattoo.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2Horse tattoo Empty Re: Horse tattoo Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:35 pm

Brook

New Here

thats supposed to be a tattoo? poor horse....

3Horse tattoo Empty Re: Horse tattoo Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:39 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Not only is that a tatto, he obvioulsy doesn't floss. Tsk, tsk, horses who don't keep up their dental care. But yes, that is a tattoo of one letter at the front followed by 5 numbers. We've been trying to figure this out for a month. I think we've got most of it, but would like some input. The pic turned out smaller than I had hoped, not sure how to enlarge it.

4Horse tattoo Empty Re: Horse tattoo Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:39 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Geez, they sure made a mess of that!!!!

5Horse tattoo Empty Re: Horse tattoo Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:40 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Nice fingernails.

6Horse tattoo Empty Re: Horse tattoo Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:05 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Rosewood, you made me laugh out loud! Sadly, they are not my fingernails. They are the sparkly tipped nails of teen horsey girl who handles horses and works in a sawmill stacking and wrapping lumber! I don't think those nails are going to last a week. You'd choke on your hot chocolate to know what she paid for them!

Coopslave, this is the first horse tattoo I've ever encountered so have nothing to compare it to. I think it's worse because his inside lip is mottled pink and black which makes it difficult to read. I also think there is some overlap on the last two digits, plus it almost looks like there was a crease/fold in his lip through several of the numbers, which further obscures them.

Thankfully photoshopping has allowed us to tweak colours and hues and sharpen the image somewhat. It would be hopeless otherwise. We have typed in some searches in the JOckey Club TB registry and come up with some possible matches, most of the horses being born in the U.S. I doubt any horse making it to our local auction are U.S. off the track Thoroughbreds.

7Horse tattoo Empty Re: Horse tattoo Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:11 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I doubt any horse making it to our local auction are U.S. off the track Thoroughbreds.

You may be surprised what shows up. I bought a cutting bred gelding at an auction in alberta. Turns out he was an embryo colt born in Texas.

It will be interesting if you come up with anything.

8Horse tattoo Empty Re: Horse tattoo Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:07 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Tried blowing it up and this is my guess. Printed in white so as to not influence anyone else with my possible wrong guess. Just highlight the text below to see it.

Not sure where it is supposed to start. The first image I see looks like a lot of things. It could be a 5 or an S but it looks like it has a bit sticking out in front on the base so I really don't know. Maybe it's an S and a 1 running together.

next ones look like 1 2 4

Last one looks like either a 5 or a 3 to me. Looks like a 5 if I look at the computer screen angled from the left. looks like a 3 the other way.

Looks like my best guess would be S11245 or S11243

9Horse tattoo Empty Re: Horse tattoo Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:42 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh wow, what a horrible job of tatooing. Best I can figure out I see

A 1 2

go figure that one, let the imagination run!! Have a wonderful and great day, CynthiaM.

10Horse tattoo Empty Re: Horse tattoo Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:55 am

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

A12-13 or maybe F12-73. Those are my guesses. Smile

11Horse tattoo Empty Re: Horse tattoo Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:58 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ugh, that had to have hurt. I can't tell anything myself...

12Horse tattoo Empty Re: Horse tattoo Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:14 am

DoubleSSRanch

DoubleSSRanch
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Your horsey is a OTTB (Off The Track Thoroughbred) Most likely raced at one point in time, maybe just some pacers, see how she did. OR she may be a standardbred, both race horses, very nearly related, just run differently. Both of them get lip tattoos, most do not last very long. May Standardbreds have freeze brands on their necks also, but not all.

http://www.doublessranch.webs.com

13Horse tattoo Empty Re: Horse tattoo Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:16 am

DoubleSSRanch

DoubleSSRanch
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Oh and the A stands for what year she was born. The other letters are the barns way of knowing what stud and mare they are from. Ill see if I can get the numbers off the pic and tell you what it all means.. should also tell me if its a TB or STB

14Horse tattoo Empty Re: Horse tattoo Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:18 am

DoubleSSRanch

DoubleSSRanch
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

She was born in 1997 if shes a TB. But those teeth do not look that old Neutral
EDITED

She is a Standardbred, not a TB. If this is the mare of yours Uno that you posted pics of that had the foal, I had figured she was a Standardbred. TB tattoos have 1 letter followed by 5 numbers. STBs have 1 letter followed by 4 numbers. The best I can see on that tattoo is A1213. Im going to try to log into my old account and see if I can look up the info.

Edited again...

OK looking weird now lol Either A1213 gets me a bay horse born in 1982. Dont think thats it lol Theres either another number in there, making her a TB, or I cant read the 4 numbers well enough... This is gonna bug me now, Im going to keep digging. UNO if you have a pic of her, showing her face, and all 4 feet, that helps, as the papers have the markings listed on them

15Horse tattoo Empty Re: Horse tattoo Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:40 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Flicker Chick wrote:Ugh, that had to have hurt. I can't tell anything myself...

Try searching horse lip tattoo and you get a surprising number of people with various things written on the inside of their lips. Ouch!

16Horse tattoo Empty Re: Horse tattoo Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:52 am

DoubleSSRanch

DoubleSSRanch
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Something 1243.. not A.. A is for 1982 for STBs.... Uno come online this is bugging me LOL

17Horse tattoo Empty Re: Horse tattoo Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:54 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

DoubleSSRanch wrote:Something 1243.. not A.. A is for 1982 for STBs.... Uno come online this is bugging me LOL

You're getting closer to my guess. lol!

18Horse tattoo Empty Re: Horse tattoo Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:58 am

DoubleSSRanch

DoubleSSRanch
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

You see an S in there?

Hmm.... Interesting,

If shes a STB, and the 1243 is right, with the letter bing the wildacrd, these are the possibles

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

N12434 ENERGETICA Mare Bay 1994
X12430 WELL LA DE Mare BROWN 2001
W12432 BUMBLE B'S Mare Bay 2000
R12436 IMAS BEST Mare BROWN 1996

Those are the matches for 1243 with the letter being a wildcard. Theres others but they are way too old.

19Horse tattoo Empty Re: Horse tattoo Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:10 pm

DoubleSSRanch

DoubleSSRanch
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

DoubleSSRanch wrote:You see an S in there?

Hmm.... Interesting,

If shes a STB, and the 1243 is right, with the letter bing the wildacrd, these are the possibles

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

N12434 ENERGETICA Mare Bay 1994
X12430 WELL LA DE Mare BROWN 2001
W12432 BUMBLE B'S Mare Bay 2000
R12436 IMAS BEST Mare BROWN 1996

Those are the matches for 1243 with the letter being a wildcard. Theres others but they are way too old.

Bah, I have to give up till I have more info or another picture to play with. There are quite a few options. if its _1213 theres many options and if its _1243 theres lots too. Need some history on the horse Very Happy I know its a rescue, but anything.

20Horse tattoo Empty Re: Horse tattoo Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:44 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Eek! DSSR, I feel bad not signed in sooner, I see you are having agony over this. I sure appreciate the wisdom and effort.

This horse is a GELDING! Bay. One small white star on forehead with surrounding scattering of white hairs. No other white markings. Not a Standardbred, a TB. We were told he is 7. He is not 7. He is older.

Since I made orignal post I have narrowed it down to one possible horse (if my guesses are right) I have traced the former owner to Alberta and I called her. SHe said she will email me winners pics of said horse. Thus far she has not, but I am checking email every 40 seconds...this is worse than Christmas!

This horse is so placid and docile, but with a long scopey movement and ground covering trot that is astonishing! The lady I contacted said he got tired of racing and she put him out to pasture and sold him to someone who was looking for a pleasure horse because 'anyone can ride that horse, he hasn't got a mean bone in his body', which is EXACTLY how horsey teen would describe him. A big, docile, droopy lipped, long legged hippy.

I see E 1(?)2 4 3or8 and ? I am not sure about the 1, pretty sure on the E, the 2 and the 4. The 3 or 8 is a toss up. I have been staring at a lip until I'm crosseyed.

21Horse tattoo Empty Re: Horse tattoo Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:12 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

He wasn't a gift was he? If he was, we're committing a major faux pas.

22Horse tattoo Empty Re: Horse tattoo Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:20 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

DoubleSSRanch wrote:You see an S in there?

Hmm.... Interesting,

Not necessarily an S but I do see a loop.

Looking at it again, the loop would correspond with the top of the numbers. P? M?

Do they use lower case e's?

23Horse tattoo Empty Re: Horse tattoo Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:38 pm

DoubleSSRanch

DoubleSSRanch
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

lol Sorry Uno.

Judging by thos horses teeth, 7 would be about right. If he was older, there would be lines going down the centre of his teeth. I had geussed his age at 6-8.

Last edited by DoubleSSRanch on Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

24Horse tattoo Empty Re: Horse tattoo Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:48 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

We have a horse here we know is 6 and his teeth look like Chicklets. This horse has longer teeth. The vet figures he is around 10 or 11 because the Galvanes' groove has not yet appeared and he hasn't developed the hooks that are typical after age 10.

Fowler...do you lay awake at night and think this stuff up? No, he was not a 'gift horse', by the way, no such thing as a free horse, just sayin.

I also cannot tell the difference between S and 2? No lower case letters.

25Horse tattoo Empty Re: Horse tattoo Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:19 pm

blackdove

blackdove
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Fowler wrote:He wasn't a gift was he? If he was, we're committing a major faux pas.

BAHAHAA Oh Fowler you crack me up...

Did you hear anything yet uno?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum