Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Partridge Chantecler cockerels all comments welcome! (lots of pics)

+8
KatuskiFarms
Dark Wing Duck
CynthiaM
BriarwoodPoultry
Hidden River
DoubleSSRanch
KathyS
coopslave
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

nuthatch333

nuthatch333
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Heather wrote
"The males will start to develop fluff at the base of the tail, if the females are too soft feathered. It is an imediate death sentence here for any OEG which show any fluff or soft feathering at the base of the tail. "

I have three nice partridge chantecler males all about six months old. All three have some fluffy feathers at the base of the tail. Because all three have these I assumed it was normal growth. Am I wrong? Is this a serious fault? These boys are all cockeral breeding type birds.

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Nuthatch It could be they just have not completely feathered in their saddle feathers. If you have a picture that would be good. The fluff I speak of comes over and above the saddle feather. I have a boy here right now that I am going to cull I will try and get a picture of the fluff.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

Chantecler_eh?

Chantecler_eh?

I find the tail angle interesting, the Chantecler cockerel I showed with at the National had a very upright tail, which I knew, but he still did very well which made me a little surprised.

http://feathers-farm.webs.com

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Chantecler_eh? wrote:I find the tail angle interesting, the Chantecler cockerel I showed with at the National had a very upright tail, which I knew, but he still did very well which made me a little surprised.

I was surprised at his tail as well. Mine certainly don`t have tails that high. He was a lovely cockerel though.
I think they actually need more tail angle than I personally like. I will have to watch that. I always think of them as having more a Indian game (dark cornish) tail rather than a leghorn one.

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Here is a pic of a winner -
2008 Reserve Show Champion Large Fowl Partridge Chantecler by Bruce Bickle Photo by Bruce Bickle
http://www.fvpfa.org/Past%20_Shows_&_Events/Lawn_Show/2008.html

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Here are Nuthatches Chantie's she wanted me to post for her.
Partridge Chantecler cockerels all comments welcome! (lots of pics) - Page 2 My_chi10

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

nuthatch333

nuthatch333
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Thanks for posting that for me Hidden, it demonstrates the fluffy feathers at the base of the tail I was concerned about.
Should I be concerned????

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I can`t remember where I made the `cornish comment` but I will reply here. We have been preg testing and doing lots of cattle work for the last couple of days so I am a bit behind and have an exhausted head. Rolling Eyes

I guess when I said cornish tail, I did not mean the tail of a cornish. I will try to explain, but it may not make any sence.
I do not like the tail of many of the PC at the moment. They are short, thick and to much like wyandotte tail. They give the impression that the bird just...ends. It also appears to shorten the back of the bird. They are to round and thick and short.
Those are the majority of the Partridge that I see (I don`t actually get a chance to see many, but I am lucky people are willing to post pictures here).
I also don`t like to think of the tail being very upright and full like a leghorns. When I look at the picture in the Standard, the angle of the leghorn tail is not bad, but there is far to much tail there. More tail than body, not good for a dual purpose bird. Where is the breast and back we will get all the great meat from. I have to say, most leghorns I see seem to have a much more upright tail than the one shown in the standard.
When I said cornish I suppose I was thinking of the broad back with some length that the tail comes out of. Cornish may have been a bad choice, but I have seen many cornish crosses that do not have the stumpy, low tail of the exhibition cornish, but have a lower, fuller tail that seems to allow some length to the back and substance to the bird instead of ending in a round lump.
Give me a lower set tail that creates some length in the body over an upright tail that cuts everything short any day.
I am not sure if I have been able to express myself very well here. It is hard for me to verbalise what I mean clearly sometimes. Remember,these are just my opinions, be them right or be them wrong. Very Happy

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Nuthatch I look forward to comments about what you are seeing.
I do not know the answer for you in the PCs. I do know when I first started breeding Barnevelders I had a very old time breeder tell me that the cockerels in the barnies that showed that made better breeders for double lacing in the pullets. I used a couple of birds like that and had very good success with them. Like I say, not sure about the Chants though.

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote="HigginsRAT"]
coopslave wrote:

So on the above note from Coopslave on forgetting where a comment was made, I need some help finding a topic...

Does anyone recall how to find the topic on the Buckeye and the SOP undercolour requirement of "Red, except for back which should show a bar of slate." I took two pics, got them loaded up on photobucket and can't find the thread to post the example someone here wanted of this grey bar in the down...eeep...help please!!

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta
- Miss yah Makes; December 7, 1995 – February 4, 2011 ^~~^

WF: DUCKS: Calls (24 varieties), East Indies, Mandarins, Crested Ducks, Australian Spotted, Hookbills, & Appleyards.
GEESE: Buff & Buff Pied American.
SWANS: Australian Black.
LF: BANTAM Brahmas, Wyandottes, Booteds, & Chanteclers & STANDARD Chanteclers (Partridge, Buff, Orange Clay, & White).
Heritage TURKEYS (Jersey Buff, Bronze, Narragansett, Slate, Red Bronze, Rusty Black, Red Blue Bronze, Lilac, & Sweetgrass).
PHEASANTS: Red Golden & Silver.
Registered: Australian Cattle Dogs, Jacob Sheep, Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats, & Llamas. Pond Fish.

Higgins, that would probably have been me. I will find that thread and link you to it in the next post so you can upload the pictures. I am working on breeding buckeyes and help is required in any form. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Higgins, I found the post, it was to do with smut on feathers on the buckeyes. Quite a job to find it, but I did, it will be nice if you could add some pictures to that post. I totally don't understand that the bar of slate across the shoulders means, if you have pictures that would be good. There is an interest in this. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

https://wcps.canadian-forum.com/t1916-smut-in-feathers-on-chickens?highlight=smut

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum