Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

my "green" experiement (lots pics)

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1my "green" experiement (lots pics) Empty my "green" experiement (lots pics) Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:08 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

With all the talk About sprouts and greens I thought I would try some as the poor geese seem desperate for greenery.

I soaked about 6 lbs (rough estimate) whole oats, wheat and sunflower overnight in a bowl. I bought 2 sets of tray one with drainage holes and one solid one they could drain into. I lined the holy one with cheese cloth and spread out the seeds in one tray.

This is 24 hours after they were soaked in the tray. Small sprouts are starting,

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Another 24 hours

Another 24 hours grass

The next day it was so thick I decided to divide into two trays. This is post division

Another 24 hours and it was huge

Well unfortunatly we had to go away for a few days or I would have kept going for a few more.
I fed one tray to the geese. They were not impressed

I fed the other to general population chicken house. They devoured it!

Some thoughts I had. I did have the odd mould bit sprout up. I think next time I will add a little bleach in soaking. I picked out what bits I found but the more rinsing I did the better. Also I had them in my laundry room and the mass laundry rush before we went away probably did not help. I think soaking 2 to 3 times per day plus lots of rinsing helps combat the mold.

I was fun and they enjoyed it. If I had the room to have 7 trays i would try it!

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

2my "green" experiement (lots pics) Empty Re: my "green" experiement (lots pics) Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:23 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Great experiment - thank you for sharing! I've tried sprouting grain for the chickens but decided it wasnt for me. for the number of chickens I have, and the amount of fiddling involved I thought it was too much of a bother to be totally honest! Embarassed
I do soak whole grains fairly often and the chickens seem to like that. You would think at this time of the year the geese would go crazy for anything green! Question

By the way, beautiful birds you have there, fuzzy!

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

3my "green" experiement (lots pics) Empty Re: my "green" experiement (lots pics) Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:00 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Just think if you left it longer, you could of harvested your own oats...hehehe Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum