Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Big storm!

+10
Fowler
Blue Hill Farm
loushrop
heda gobbler
rosewood
Schipperkesue
SerJay
bckev
HigginsRAT
coopslave
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Big storm! - Page 2 Empty Re: Big storm! Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:50 pm

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

great pics.
I got the roof on the new chicken coop this morning before the rain. It is super mucky, not fun to work in.

27Big storm! - Page 2 Empty nice Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:00 pm

niglefritz

Beautiful pictures! I love them. If only I could get pictures like that. I'm learning.

I hear that there are storm chasers coming up this way from the States. They say it is perfect for tornadoes this evening & tonight. The last time they came up here last year they got nothing, but they predicted some large ones 6 years ago way to the SE. The clouds out over Brandon were mamatus (sp?) as far as the eye could see. I have NEVER seen anything like it. VERY beautiful, ominous and scary. pale We left for home very quickly when we saw that...wanted to be nowhere close. Later we found out that there had been large ones to the SW of us. Not nice. They are focusing on that area this time (Team Tornado Hunter will be targeting Carlyle, Sask - Pipestone, MB corridor), and into SW SK. Appway...watch out...keep safe.

Here is a link on this page should they go live on the chase from Greg Johnson, TornadoHunter.ca: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Shocked Ack...thunder starting already....oh and more. Just a rumble for now, but I read that the warnings have started for SW MB (capable of golf ball size hail & larger , 100 km/h & flooding downpours). The air is thick and it is HOT. I hope it all blows over...um, no pun intended.

28Big storm! - Page 2 Empty Re: Big storm! Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:17 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

29Big storm! - Page 2 Empty Re: Big storm! Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:24 pm

niglefritz

Update...We had a warning about 5. We left for Brandon about then and didn't know. Around 8 in the city, there was small hail, heavy rain and wind (they said up to 100 km is possible). When we got out of the building that we were in, the sky to the SE was green, lightning was constant. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] The clouds were strange & dark. Needless to say, we did not go to the store to pick up a few things. That could wait, we thought. I have never seen clouds like that.

We left for home as we watched the clouds. Rain was HEAVY. I wondered if we should find shelter or continue on home. I shook, the kids cried, husband drove, but we made it home. Whew. I NEVER want to be so close to something like that again. I see we are still under a warning area according to the news, but the radar shows that it should be past soon, and Environment Canada doesn't have our area listed. I hope the worst is over. :no:I hope nothing more serious happens.

They are now saying that there is a lot of overland flooding in the city. You can see a lot in the fields. The river will certainly rise again. We are not close to it, so that is good.

There were tornadoes that touched down by Maryfield, SK and somewhere else in SK. I haven't heard of anything this way, but man, I am sure if there was nothing, that it was very close.

I like summer to a point. This, not so much.

30Big storm! - Page 2 Empty Re: Big storm! Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:35 pm

I hope things continue to settle down near you Nigelfritz.  Weather is so powerful and amazing and at times, frightening.  I've only rarely been in weather that I feared for my safety, and that was always on or beside the ocean.  I'll be sending calm thoughts your way, for all of SK.  I have a good friend in Moosejaw who shares her weather stories too.  Stay safe!!  Comfort

31Big storm! - Page 2 Empty Re: Big storm! Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:10 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

niglefritz wrote: I wondered if we should find shelter or continue on home. I shook, the kids cried, husband drove, but we made it home. Whew. I NEVER want to be so close to something like that again.

Oh, this is awful.  I can remember being this scared only maybe a handful of times in my life....my Husband brought us through these horrifying things as well, thank my lucky stars for the emotional strength and calmness manner of my man.  Nothing to do with weather, but scarey is a very scarey thing.  I am still in horrified state as I listened to what you were saying.  I hope that all remains safe and that nothing awful happens to others that are having the bad, bad weather.  I think things are going to become more nice with our weather too here...we too have had enough rain, wishes for a safe and wonderful day, CynthiaM.

32Big storm! - Page 2 Empty Re: Big storm! Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:19 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Had to drive through ridiculously heavy rain in the states once. On a highway that didn't have enough of a shoulder to be safe to pull off. Might have gotten hit as there was no visibility. Couldn't see anything except the red tail lights in front of us so the whole lione of cars crept along the highway like that. It was raining so hard you could see the little line when we drive under an overhead sign (that would have only been a couple of inches wide).

33Big storm! - Page 2 Empty Re: Big storm! Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:14 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Did the same thing driving across Nebraska once - heavy rain and pelting hail. Just had to keep driving keeping the tail lights of the vehicle ahead in view. Scary stuff.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

34Big storm! - Page 2 Empty Re: Big storm! Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:02 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sounds like Montana. Amazing storms there!

35Big storm! - Page 2 Empty Re: Big storm! Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:10 pm

Hit heavy rain here once ............car was actually floating on the water ? punched it and all I got was high RPM's and no speed ! scarey

36Big storm! - Page 2 Empty Re: Big storm! Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:21 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

prairie dog wrote:Hit heavy rain here once ............car was actually floating on the water ? punched it and all I got was high RPM's and no speed ! scarey

Sounds like 'hydroplaning'. I had that happen in the mountains once.

37Big storm! - Page 2 Empty Re: Big storm! Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:21 pm

Nope , just so much rain and a little car ( Honda ) ! It couldn't get off the road quick enough !! But I know what you're talking about Sue

38Big storm! - Page 2 Empty Re: Big storm! Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:56 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

SerJay I know what you mean about the clay. We are completely waterlogged here and everything is slop! Even the end of the riding ring that is ALWAYS high and dry (well for the 23 years we have been here anyway) is boot sucking, soul sucking SLOP! If one more person calls this constant deluge "liquid sunshine" I am going to lose it! affraid

39Big storm! - Page 2 Empty Re: Big storm! Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:54 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

40Big storm! - Page 2 Empty Re: Big storm! Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:06 pm

niglefritz

No  I don't know. Reading in our local forum here (eBrandon), they are talking about the chance of severe storms and significant strong tornadoes here again. Storm chasers are already on their way up and they say anything is possible from Estevan, SK to Yorkton, SK and east of those areas into SW MB.

I just sent my 2 oldest off to spend time with their uncle and aunt until sometime tomorrow...sounds like about the time it will all possibly hit. I hope SO MUCH that they are wrong and all we get is some rain, no wind, no violent lightning, and the worst happens to the east of us, carrying the humidity with it. Last I heard, it was going to be 32 degrees tomorrow (means it will be at least 34+) and with high humidity and cool nights... I am thinking that I prefer winter more all the time, blizzards and ice... I love storms, but only at a distance. Overhead summer storms, not so much. pale  Can you tell that I am anxious? I will not only be concerned for us and the kids here, but now I need to think of my kids elsewhere too. Hmmm...I feel for the ones like me with kids at camp...

41Big storm! - Page 2 Empty Re: Big storm! Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:34 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Tara, I missed this post. I recognised many of those places! Wink
Told you a storm was on its way...... take heart, hot weather coming now.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum