Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pesticides, the good and the bad.

+4
ipf
Dan Smith
Schipperkesue
uno
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Pesticides, the good and the bad. - Page 2 Empty Re: Pesticides, the good and the bad. Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:18 am

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Dusting powder, at least the stuff I've seen, contains rotenone. This has been clearly linked to Parkinsons disiease. Even if the powder is something else, you'll still get some in your lungs, and it won't be good for you.

Eggs are eggs. Eggs don't eat. How could they? No mouthparts, and there's the eggshell, or membrane in the way anyhow. Once those mite eggs hatch, they start to eat, i.e. they suck blood. Once they start to eat, they get the tiny dose of Eprinex (circulating in the chook's blood) that kills them.

27Pesticides, the good and the bad. - Page 2 Empty Re: Pesticides, the good and the bad. Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:57 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

ipf wrote:Dusting powder, at least the stuff I've seen, contains rotenone. This has been clearly linked to Parkinsons disiease. Even if the powder is something else, you'll still get some in your lungs, and it won't be good for you.

I was at Surecrop the other day to get dusting powder. I asked where the yellow squeeze bottle was that I used to use for dusting the chickens back on the coast. She told me that that brand, can't remember that name of it was not sold anymore. About 2 years ago ROTENONE was BANNED as use for a pesticide control. Rotenone based products evidently are no longer allowed. Rotenone is not good for you. Yes, that is known. So Rotenone is not used in the making of lice powder any more. I wonder if it is still used in other pesticide products, I don't know that. But I do know that I am not using the powder that used to come in the yellow bottle which had rotenone within.

This is what I am using, it is a different product, without rotenone. Made by Dominion Vet. This is a link to the site and picture of the product.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I am not really overly worried about it. I'm not sure how you figure I will get it in my lungs. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. The bird is below me on my knees, the powder is shaken gently and gently moved over the back of the belly and vent area. I do not make a huge fluff in the air with powder everywhere. I also would not apply it on a windy day. So, ya, I don't know. Think I am still going to use powder....have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum