Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pesticides In Food: What To Eat And What To Avoid

+3
Susan
call ducks
jon.w
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

jon.w

jon.w
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

here is the link [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Evil or Very Mad

Sorry BUT i have issues with that "article" let's start by them using US stat's.... Also i would like to know how they found.

ALSO not only does Canada have some of the strictest pesticide regulations. There are certain time frames before things can be picked and so on and so forth.

<sidenote> Honestly "organic" food is no healthier. and often has a larger ecoloicgal foot print than non "organic"</sidenote>

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Didn't read th article, only have a minute but true organic does NOT leave a bigger ecological footprint. Absolutely the opposite.

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

call ducks wrote: Evil or Very Mad

Sorry BUT i have issues with that "article" let's start by them using US stat's.... Also i would like to know how they found.

ALSO not only does Canada have some of the strictest pesticide regulations. There are certain time frames before things can be picked and so on and so forth.

<sidenote> Honestly "organic" food is no healthier. and often has a larger ecoloicgal foot print than non "organic"</sidenote>

Well the article is a little bonkers, but what's the big deal with using a few American stats? Next time you're at the grocery store, compare how much of the food you're buying comes from different places. I suspect you'll be surprised how much more is coming in from the U.S., Mexico, China, South America, etc. than from Canada.

Also, Canada's regulations aren't actually all that strict. Granted that they are a bit more strict than the U.S. and certainly more strict than in most of the so called third world. AS far as I know, most of Europe far exceeds us in this regard though. I worked as a pesticide applicator for a little while and I can tell you that the people who apply the pesticides aren't really following the regulations half the time anyway.

That's not to say all organic producers are awesome either, there are many who try to cheat the system who are only in organics for the price advantage. I would also like to know what evidence you can provide to back up your statements that organic food is neither more healthy than conventional and that it leaves a larger ecological footprint?

I will freely admit my own bias as an organic farmer that believes fully that what I am doing is good and right and better for my community here in central Alberta than the conventional alternative. My yields are always lower, but I believe my land, my animals, my customers and my family are in better health for it.

http://countrythyme.ca

jon.w

jon.w
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

most of are vegys come from the southern States that is why I posted the link
Country Thyme Farm wrote:
call ducks wrote: Evil or Very Mad

Well the article is a little bonkers, but what's the big deal with using a few American stats? Next time you're at the grocery store, compare how much of the food you're buying comes from different places. I suspect you'll be surprised how much more is coming in from the U.S., Mexico, China, South America, etc. than from Canada.

Also, Canada's regulations aren't actually all that strict. Granted that they are a bit more strict than the U.S. and certainly more strict than in most of the so called third world. AS far as I know, most of Europe far exceeds us in this regard though. I worked as a pesticide applicator for a little while and I can tell you that the people who apply the pesticides aren't really following the regulations half the time anyway.

That's not to say all organic producers are awesome either, there are many who try to cheat the system who are only in organics for the price advantage. I would also like to know what evidence you can provide to back up your statements that organic food is neither more healthy than conventional and that it leaves a larger ecological footprint?

I will freely admit my own bias as an organic farmer that believes fully that what I am doing is good and right and better for my community here in central Alberta than the conventional alternative. My yields are always lower, but I believe my land, my animals, my customers and my family are in better health for it.

HiddenAcresBC

HiddenAcresBC

I only buy organic if available. Does anyone honestly think that the food and drug people care if we are ingesting poisins??? NO! In fact they are happy we do. That means that the FOOD we eat makes us sick. In turn we have to take DRUGS to help combat the poison that we are eating every single day. Its a win win for the FDA. That is why they ban things like fresh raw milk and pass things like twinkies and agent orange!

Im not saying organic is fool proof...our laws are slack and basically anyone can buy there was into an organic certification if you know the right people...but I refuse to support Monsanto and its conventional farm methods and evil ideas. So the way Ivoice my opinion is by not buying the garbage they try to feed us. I wont even get into the toxic chemicals in shampoo, lisptick, cologne, body wash, air fresheners...

Face it people...they know how dangerous all of this stuff is and they just dont care because people are ignorant and naive and lazy. SO they get away with it.

jon.w

jon.w
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

a little off topic but an interesting link to what is happening in Canada right know [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'm happy to see people expressing their views so openly on this topic.

Thanks for sharing the links. I read Monsanto's cure for super weeds is put agent orange on it. The FDA is considering it and -that's- what's scary.

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I dunno, every time I see the title of this thread it makes me want to go out and eat a bunch of greens, go figure that one!! Beautiful day wishes for us all, CynthiaM.

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Tara, take that post and begin a thread of what we remember about our Grammas, I have a story to tell, you could just copy and paste that most beautiful story there, ya, I know, I love to tell people what to do, smiling that big smile, could make for a most beautiful thread, taking us all back to days gone by. Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum