Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pesticides, the good and the bad.

+4
ipf
Dan Smith
Schipperkesue
uno
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Pesticides, the good and the bad. Empty Pesticides, the good and the bad. Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:23 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sorry, that title isn't so great.

I know in past we've gone round and round with folks who have mite infestations and found Eprinex to be non-effective.

I simply can't beleive this. Not that I think anyone is making it up. BUt I am stumped over how come in some instances EPrinex cleaned the flock right up and in others, it didn't?

Was it improper application? Too little repeat application? Were there other circumstances that caused re-infestation that we don't know about?

Just read your post CynthiaM and your unhappiness with the product Eprinex. I had the opposite experience, I was amazed at the job the Eprinex did! WHy the difference? Why success for me and failure for others?

One theroy iH ave, just a theory, is about the dosage. There was a lot of talk about exactly how much Eprinex to apply. Fiddle fiddle, measure, over focus on what I consider a not-very-important topic. I think it is very possible to UNDERDOSE a bird if you have focused too much on getting the dosage 'just righ't. TO heck with that! My approach was 'close enough is good enough' and used an eyedropper to suck up a dose and squirt onto the hide of my chickens.

I think if we get side tracked into 'oh dear I might overdose them and kill them' we can render this product useless by not having enough in the system. But that's just a theory.

What other explanation can there be? Resistance? IN poultry? For whom this drug was never intended, therefore we can hardly claim overuse? That just doesn't sit right.

I still believe Eprinex works, but something else is going on that is causing problems. But what?!

2Pesticides, the good and the bad. Empty Re: Pesticides, the good and the bad. Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:45 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Eprinex works great on lice but I truly bleieve it GIVES mites to chickens. Does absolutely no good whatsoever,

I like Eprinex on goats, though. You don't have to stick it down their throats.

3Pesticides, the good and the bad. Empty Re: Pesticides, the good and the bad. Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:20 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

PLease tell me you did not make your chickens eat the Eprinex? It's a pour ON. Not a pour IN.

4Pesticides, the good and the bad. Empty Re: Pesticides, the good and the bad. Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:56 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

D'oh!

5Pesticides, the good and the bad. Empty Re: Pesticides, the good and the bad. Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:06 pm

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Schipperkesue wrote:D'oh!

Now we may know why it may not work so well with some of us. cheers ps, I have some but have never used it because I have been mite free for about 12 years due to using dusting powder in coop when I clean each time. Either that or maybe it is because I am just so inhospitable that mites choose not to come near my place.

6Pesticides, the good and the bad. Empty Re: Pesticides, the good and the bad. Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:26 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Your Australorps keep them at bay, Dan.

7Pesticides, the good and the bad. Empty Re: Pesticides, the good and the bad. Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:29 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I found once my eyesight got to the point where I could no longer see the period at the end of a sentence, I also had no more mite or lice problems.

See, it's age related. Once you're in your mid to late 40s, no more crawling beasties in the hen house. Bonus!

8Pesticides, the good and the bad. Empty Re: Pesticides, the good and the bad. Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:33 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote:I found once my eyesight got to the point where I could no longer see the period at the end of a sentence, I also had no more mite or lice problems.

See, it's age related. Once you're in your mid to late 40s, no more crawling beasties in the hen house. Bonus!

Nail on the head there. I need 200 watt lights, x3 lenses on my eyes and the stars in alignment in order to see a mite on a bird.

9Pesticides, the good and the bad. Empty Re: Pesticides, the good and the bad. Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:35 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Eprinex has always worked for me. I've never had lice, but wow, those mites. . . . I did increase the dosage a bit, to about 0.6 ml per standard, and about 0.4 ml per bantam, applied on bare skin between shoulder blades.

First time I used it I was disappointed as there were still mites 10 days later, but I finally figured out that they won't die until they actually suck blood, so as eggs continued to hatch over a period of weeks, there'd be new hatchlings to see. After a few weeks, no more mites.

10Pesticides, the good and the bad. Empty Re: Pesticides, the good and the bad. Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:49 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

See...what ipf said. It's not a one time shot. You have to keep at it. Keep bombing them little monsters as they hatch! One must persevere!

Sue, I have given up looking for them and instead go by feel. I stand there, in the dark, with my hand on the bottom of a nest box and wait for it...wait for it...if there are mites you will FEEL them crawling up your arm! To heck with the vagaries of eyesight!

11Pesticides, the good and the bad. Empty Re: Pesticides, the good and the bad. Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:58 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Aaarrrgggghhhhh!!!!

Uno creeps out Sue!

12Pesticides, the good and the bad. Empty Re: Pesticides, the good and the bad. Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:48 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

And Susan!!

13Pesticides, the good and the bad. Empty Re: Pesticides, the good and the bad. Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:25 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

No, no, that's NOT what I said! One bomb suffices, the critters die for weeks afterwards, as they hatch and drink.

14Pesticides, the good and the bad. Empty Re: Pesticides, the good and the bad. Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:30 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

It's the check by waiting for them to crawl up your arms that is giving me the heeby geebys!!!! Blech!

15Pesticides, the good and the bad. Empty Re: Pesticides, the good and the bad. Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:03 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ipf, do you use your eyesight to detect the critters, or do you employ Uno's creepy method?

16Pesticides, the good and the bad. Empty Re: Pesticides, the good and the bad. Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:26 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Ughh you guys are making me itch just reading this yuck! Seriously can't stop itching

We had 3 hens we picked up the first year that had mites my son pointed them out the day after they arrived but we'd already put them in the coop Yuck! Hubby and I got dust and dusted everything in the coop that night. Next we tried noromectin and not sure which did it but we cleaned that coop out and dusted again and again until not a crawly could be found. Now when we clean the coop in spring and set up for winter in the fall we dust them all. Its a horrible job but don't want to find crawlies climbing up sons arms ever again No

Just a thought, it could be the type of crawly that depends on whether it works or not. The northern fowl mite is supposed to be notoriously hard to kill

17Pesticides, the good and the bad. Empty Re: Pesticides, the good and the bad. Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:52 pm

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Neither powders nor Eprinex would kill the mites my poultry had. No matter the dose or how often I applied them. I am a certified pesticide applicator ( for greenhouse but still!) and I know it was not my application method or dose...Eprinex does not kill certain mites.

Found another producr that does kill them and after over 6 months of battling them last winter, spring and summer my chickens seem to be completely mite free for going on 6 months...I still check them frequently just in case.

18Pesticides, the good and the bad. Empty Re: Pesticides, the good and the bad. Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:09 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Frontline, PG? It certainly does the trick.

19Pesticides, the good and the bad. Empty Re: Pesticides, the good and the bad. Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:25 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well, since I've used Eprinex, I haven't had to resort to Uno's method.

20Pesticides, the good and the bad. Empty Re: Pesticides, the good and the bad. Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:31 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh, come on! It's not that bad. It's not like htey set up house in my hair. Or my clothes. Cause I rip my clothes off as I run, screaming, towards the shower. THe neighbours have learned to avert their eyes.

21Pesticides, the good and the bad. Empty Re: Pesticides, the good and the bad. Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:14 am

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Frontline, PG? It certainly does the trick.

Frontlinen isn't registered in Canada Sue as you know. But I will say it is amazingly easy to apply and very effective against mites.

22Pesticides, the good and the bad. Empty Re: Pesticides, the good and the bad. Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:54 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

We are not talking about dealing heroin here. Frontline is easily purchased on EBay. No, you can't buy it in stores in Canada.

23Pesticides, the good and the bad. Empty Re: Pesticides, the good and the bad. Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:29 am

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

No, nothing like heroine...but if we want it to remain easily accessible I think it's wise not to broadcast things too loudly. There is a law that allow import of 750 ml or less of a pesticide from the US to Canada but I beleive there is some official paperwork that is supposed to accompany that, perhaps I am wrong on the requirement for paperwork.

In my previous job, 6 plus years ago already, I used to work towards registration of novel natural-based biopesticides. Those who are pesticide adverse would be very pleased to know that it is VERY VERY difficult to obtain Canadian registration of a product new to this country. Expensive, time consuming and by no means a given just because the US has deemed it safe. Canada takes its pesticide regulation very seriously and I have no desire to flaunt any use patterns that don't follow our laws...

24Pesticides, the good and the bad. Empty Re: Pesticides, the good and the bad. Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:41 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, it needs to be shared with people who need to know about it- somehow. I seem to recall people crying in frustration, begging for help, trying to deal with mites, and no one shared this simple solution. I highly doubt discussion in a small forum would be an issue. No, I could not purchase the product and place it on the shelves of my pet store for sale, but keeping some for 'personal consumption' should not be an issue.

If a person was paranoid of gov't interferance they could state: "On other forums that cater to our US neighbors they suggest using Frontline for mites." A PM works as well.

25Pesticides, the good and the bad. Empty Re: Pesticides, the good and the bad. Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:16 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote:and instead go by feel. I stand there, in the dark, with my hand on the bottom of a nest box and wait for it...wait for it...if there are mites you will FEEL them crawling up your arm! To heck with the vagaries of eyesight!

OK, girl, you got too much time on your hands Razz Kidding of course. I can well imagine that that would work if you have a massive and I mean massive, massive, massive overload of mites. Now that being said, also, this depends on the mite. I would think, Uno, that if the mites were in the box and not on the bird that it is the red fowl mite. A whole different story. The northern mite for the most part remains on the bird. Frick. Mites. I can't stand them.

Ya, had some horrible issues with these suckers and feel that I am pretty much under control now with the northern mite, or I would like to think I have it under control.

OK, took this to a word format, so I can save down every few minutes, I think I am going to be saying alot and I need to not lose anything, that would make me lose heart, smiling. Ya, so where was I?

I had horrible, and I mean horrible northern mite issues last year. Worked oh so hard to get these under control. As you had mentioned, Uno, I had been using eprinex, thought it had been doing magic and because I was just too confident in the product, and the dosage, and everything about it, got a little lazy when it came to actually looking to see if the mite problem was under control. Phew long sentence, but that is OK, not here for grammar crap. Ya. So. I actually think that eprinex would have worked, but I think the dosage I was giving my birds might not have been strong enough, my birds are large and I think that I just did not give enough, or did, I don’t know. But it made me feel like the particular product was not working. Period. So I changed to a different product. And I must say, it has rid my birds of the mite issue. Be they red or northern fowl mite, I think they were northern, but who really knows, I did not take a mite and examine it below a microscope to ascertain variety of mite. Doesn’t matter. It is moot. I seriously think that I was underdosing and that may have been why the eprinex did not work for me. Now for others that it worked for, yes, they probably were using correct dosage and perhaps reapplying to kill the mite eggs as they hatched. Or are the eggs poisoned from the mite destruction product? Anyone know. What do the eggs of the mites eat to grow? They are on the feathers of the chickens, so do they consume the blood that is in the feather? How do the mites get nourishment. Now here’s one for ya to ponder and find out about. I for one, would like to know, but just don’t feel like doing any research any time right now. So....what do the eggs of the mites do for sustinance? Maybe they don’t eat, and wait until they are born to suck the life out of the bird....anyone?????? please????

I do know for a very fact, that now I check frequently chicken butts. By frequent, I mean every couple of weeks. Yes, I pick up random chickens (or roosters) and have a look. I have a pair of glasses that are slightly magnified and I put them on (remembering to put them up on my head when I look up, cause they make me dizzy if I am looking to a distance). I can see if there are any freakin’ little mites walking on the chicken skin. I know they are the size of a dot, yep, been there, done that, and I can see clearly those friggers with those glasses. Also, strong light. This must be looked out outside. I sit in the chicken doorway, which faces to the south, so lots of bright light, so look at the backend of the chickens I pick up to have a gander at.

Oh man, Uno, am I addressing what you want me to address or am I going too far off topic? Need to know. Put me on the straight and narrow, if you will, if I digress too much.

I personally think I am going back to lice dusting powder. Honestly, I think that this is just as much of a bother as putting a drop or spray on a chicken butt or neck, wherever one choses to apply the drops. I like to apply the product near the back end and the belly, cause that is where the mites live. Period. Still keeping the liquid products, but absolutely returning to tried and true dust powder. Probably a good thing to alternate too.

I have done dusting before. But the method (this was way back on the coast in my old life) was clumbsy and horribly dusty. I would hang a bird upside down by the feet and shake the shaker all over the bird. Horrible, dusty and always wore a mask. Blah.

I learned from a friend how she works her birds with dust. And to me this is the most simple and logical method. I have changed her style somewhat to suit me. But I will tell of my style. I get down and dirty with the birds, so this may not be for everyone. But I like to hold my birds now and then anyways, just gives me a nice and comfy warm mamma feeling. This is now what I do and have recently done to some of my birds....I will be finishing this task in the near future, but have honed down this newly acquired dusting skill nicely. So can move even faster.

I take a bird. I pick a place to sit. Not on a chair. I like to sit on the floor on the entranceway to my chicken “stuff” area of the chicken coops. This allows me to have good light, a southern facing entranceway. My feet are on the group, terra firma, gives me grounding, I like earth. If any dust falls to the place below my feet, it is earth, just a good feeling. I turn that bird upside down, after reassuring them by stroking their ears area gently. Then comes the salt shaker that has the dusting powder in it. Dollar store salt shaker, has a handle and the holes are big. I gently shake dust on the belly and up to the vent area of the bird. Then I work that dust in gently, every so gently with my fingertips and hands. This does not create a cloud of dust, not at all, and I feel comfortable to not wear a mask, which makes me feel like I am suffocating and I get far too hot in the face. An alternate method would be to have the dusting powder in a bucket, and a powder puff to puff the dust on the birds, but I don’t think would work as good as the salt shaker with the big holes. This is an easy method and the birds are not freaking out. They are very quiet. I turn them over and return them to the coop, and they shake, of course, and of course, dusty powder will go over the coop below them a little. I find this method fast, and I really believe that all freakin’ sucking bugs are totally coated in dust and die, like really fast. Life without air cannot live.

So I don’t know Uno. Maybe eprinex would work if the dosage was correct. I still believe that I must have been underdosing the birds. That is why I did not find the product effective and others find it effective, different sized birds with different types of bodies would surely need different doses. Maybe eprinex does work, maybe it does not. I don’t care. I’m probably not going to use the product anymore anyways. So far, I haven’t seen more mites on the birds, this dusting is just now a prevention, just in case there are some hiding on birds that I don’t see. I believe in prevention, didn’t always practice it before, that was my lazy side, bad girl, and learned stuff about keeping on top of things. Important....ya, just speaking some thoughts from inside my head.

I checked a mamma hen that is brooding on some babies, just to ensure that she did not have mites. That was a few days ago. A brooding mamma, sitting in that warm and humid nest box for so long is a prime place for the mites to live. She did not have a single mite that I could see, so that gave me some encouragement that things are under control nicely with mites. Ya, mites, they suck don’t they (oh, ya, and actually, they do SUCK).

We all know that mites can come from many places. In particular wild birds that may visit the chicken yards, in hope that there are tidbits that are left behind. I know that they do at our place, because many times when I go out to shovel snow before I let the birds out. There are teeny tiny footprints, clearly from teeny tiny birds. They are welcome here, but I also know that they may be dropping off unwanted visitors, mites, to my chicken yards.

Ya, this topic has been hashed over and over and I think it is worthy to hash over and over and over and over some more. Keep on top of mites. Never once had chicken lice here, but do remember back on the coast that sometimes we would see lice, and we dealt with them. And in those days it was common to bring birds in from other sources. Like a pretty bird from the auction (or two). These days I don’t buy many birds from outside sources. If I do, I know fair well who I am getting the birds from, and am pretty sure that the birds are kept nicely, so do not anticipate problems. But in all honesty, I do not see any need now to bring adult birds here for a very long time. Have entertained the thought of getting some day old chicks that will lay DARK DARK brown eggs, so I can have extra eggs. With three families eating eggs, and I know for a fact that come spring I will be short eggs (and probably during the summer too, those darn broody mammas, smiling). I thought with some dark egg layers I could let them run with the pure breed stocks and could gather their eggs cause the colour would be so dark, there could be no mistake with telling who is who when it comes to egg gathering. Ya....again Uno, good topic that you have began and there will be many additions to it, this I would hope anyways. Wishes for a wonderful and awesome day to us all, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum