Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

what a horse remembers

+6
fuzzylittlefriend
ipf
Hillbilly
rosewood
Arcticsun
uno
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26what a horse remembers - Page 2 Empty Re: what a horse remembers Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:03 pm

Hillbilly wrote:Sheep riding is called mutton bustin on the rodeo circuit lol.
....I don't know if Uno would like that ? ....Mutton Bustin Uno ....has a certain ring to it ...lol....

27what a horse remembers - Page 2 Empty Re: what a horse remembers Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:04 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think riding a sheep looks more comfortable, they are usually quite padded. And warm. And don't have big teeth.

28what a horse remembers - Page 2 Empty Re: what a horse remembers Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:06 pm

uno wrote:I think riding a sheep looks more comfortable, they are usually quite padded. And warm. And don't have big teeth.
...ah yes , but they talk to much , on and on and on ...Baa , Baa, Baaaaa

29what a horse remembers - Page 2 Empty Re: what a horse remembers Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:53 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

coopslave wrote:Horses are herd animals and there is a hierarchy in the herd. Do you want to be at the bottom or the top. Any group of horses are a herd and you are part of their herd if you interact with them regularly. The boss of the herd doesn't take sh*t from anyone, that is me! Very Happy It takes a major presence to do that with a group of horses and I rarely have to resort to anything more than my presence, but sometimes I do and I am willing to if need be. Horses use their teeth and feet to work their way up, I make sure my group never comes to that with me. If I need to deal with something it is done quickly, firmly with as much force as I need and then it is over just a quickly. They must feel very threatened for a short period of time for it to work effectively.
Feeding time is when it shows the most the boss eats first until they allow the others in. This is a good place to establish your place, but if you have grown horses that don't respect you, be very careful if you decide to start here.
My horses and I spend lots of quality time together, but it is with my boundries. My gelding loves my hair, ALOT, and he is allowed to play with it when I allow him and if he is careful. It is a nice thing to share with him, but he never over steps the line without concequences (he rarely does overstep, that is why he is allowed to play with it sometimes).
Uno, sounds like teen is doing a good job. Just encourage her not to hold a grudge, horses don't understand that, they really live in the now.

I just recently spent a day at a neighbour's place with a horse/people fixer and I left really impressed.
His name is Joe Guy Brewer and he has a website you could check out at joeguylongrider.com. Right now he is riding my neighbour's 5 year old mare which was competely undridable a few weeks ago,down the "Cowboy Trail" from Mayerthorpe AB to Cardston AB.

I was a bit skeptical at first but he has some really simple yet good ideas that work and his main tenent is to get the respect of the horse first.
He says he would rather win their mind first and then they will give their bodies.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum