Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Red hot Chile peppers and the taste test, picture heavy (14)

+2
dj
CynthiaM
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hmmm, guess I have an evil side to me, smiling, evil in the way that I like to issue dares. Now if one would know my Husband as well as I do, (and my Grandsons are just taking right after him) you would know that this man should never be offered a dare -- unless you want him to take you up on it. The dares that this man has fulfilled from me would make ya head swim!! From bugs to seeing if the bugs on our asparagus fronds actually taste like asparagus (they do, by the way), things like that, he is the one!!

So, comes the day when the red Chile peppers are beginning to mature, ranging from dark red and large to the yellow ones, which are less mature, to the green ones, even less mature. After doing some research on the internet, it would appear that the younger fruit has more heat to it, the red ones are hot, like really, really hot, but a more pungent taste, the larger the pepper with more seeds, the hotter, smiling.

My devil mind is at work. It was a day after school, the Grandson (youngest, he is 11 in a short time) was on his after school visit. He walks across the alfalfa field and he is at Gramma's. My evil devil mind is at work. It is time to see if these peppers are actually hot or not, having never grown this particular strain, no clue. Hmmm....I wonder if the Grandson and Husband would like to test them for me. They are in, and boy did they get in deep. Off to the garden we went, a very beautiful and warm day, I might add.

This will be picture heavy, and it is important for me to write a caption to explain what I saw, as each person took a pepper and did the taste test. My Husband can eat the hottest, the most horrible tasting thing, and if he doesn't want to let you know his reaction he won't. He has never ceased to amaze me with how he can pretty much hold a straight face, but you know deep inside, he is almost cryin' like a baby, smiling that huge and wonderful smile. So here goes, my narration of the test of the peppers, picked only moments before they entered the mouth of two of the loves of my life. Have a good laugh, I know you will, I still do when I see the pictures, and most of all, have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Kay, let's try a pepper for Gramma, Grandson has a small yellow one, Grandpa has a small red one.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Well, what do you think?

Thinking, his head deep in thought, I'm thinking the taste is pretty warm, just not showing it.

Well, I'm not sure

I don't know, where's the heat?

Well, mine isn't too bad, thumbs up!! Grandson, well, I think it tastes awful!!

Ok Gramma, gonna try a red one for you now

Hmmmm

Oh bwah!!! What have I done!!!

Oh come on Grandson, let me give one a whirl

Thinking, thinking, (can't show my true feelings), thinkin' this is pretty hot!!!

Gads, what have I done (still hiding emotions), looking off into the wild blue yonder to help to keep composure!!

dj

Laughing hate it when they take your breath away, and burn burn never ending burn

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Great pictures....too funny!
I love the hot chillies for cooking, but there is nooooo way I can eat them raw! Shocked I even have to be careful after I have chopped them up, I always end up rubbing an eye or something and suffer for a long time.
My sister puts them in the pickles she makes for hubby, he loves them hot pickles. The ones with the cut chillies at the end of the year are pretty firey. I am not fussed on them so he gets them all.
I hope you had some milk on hand for your poor unsuspecting victims! Laughing

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

This is great, love your captions, and your Grandson spewing that pepper, oh man, I can feel his tongue burning!!

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I love the play by play! What great expressions on their faces. I have a question for you CynthiaM, I have such an awesome bounty of jalapeno peppers in my greenhouse and have already used some of them (green) in my salsa. I wasn't really sure about using them green but thought I would try it. So I was thinking I should pickle the rest of them but they are so slow in turning red. Can they be picked and canned when green? Thought you might know Very Happy

XO Monika

turkeylurkey

A friend had a 1/2 grown turkey poult that was obviously suffering from Blackhead. In desperation she ground up a hot red pepper and force fed it to the poult. The poult has survived and is doing fine.

http://www.guppy.ca

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

hi turkeylurkey, good to see you on here! You know I still have beautiful birds that I purchased from you years and years ago Very Happy So CynthiaM your family and mine will not suffer from blackhead if we keep feeding them our hot peppers!! lol!

XOX Monika

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Monika, just do it, gather the peppers, freeze, dry whatever. I am tomorrow going to pick ALL those peppers, the immature green, yellow and mature read and string them on fishing line with a great and strong needle, will be sure to use gloves. They will dry, and then they will be stored in vacuum sealed bags for when I need that thing. They will ripen when picked green, to red, it takes some time, but that can be achieved. I have not grown jalepeno, but I am sure that they will become red if left long enough, not sure, but I imagine so. Green sweet bell peppers will turn red eventually. We are now eating those too, humongeous in size and oh so sweet. peppers do not need to be blanched if they are to be frozen, thank goodness. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum