Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Snowfall of January 7, 2013, picture heavy

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Time now for me to make a post about snow. Wow. We have a whole lotta snow. Each time it snows, when the snow is done I write it on the calendar. I also write down interesting stuff, and the night time temperature when I read the thermometer when I get up. I have done this for the past two years, up here, in the Okanagan in our new life. Just kind of interesting to see from year to year how things change. Last year by this time we had an accumulation of about 2 inches. We had rain on a couple of days after Christmas (last year) too. Last year the first significant snowfall was January 20, 2012 (given, right it was 2012) and that was 6 inches. Well this year, our accumulated snow has been approximately 40 inches. Now to look out on the fields, it is only about knee deep, but where does that snow go? I know, it compresses as it sits, imagining that this is what occurs. We have snow piles where my Husband cleans our parking area in front of our home that are nearly as tall as me now. They don’t compress and I feel like we are being closed in, smiling. Ya, lots of snow. I have a garbage can that sits on the edge of our driveway and that is how I measure the snow. I clean off the lid each time that it snows, so I can measure, its cool. In that garbage can is the residue of the apples that I had made juice out of. Never got it to the compost pile before the freeze and snow came, so there it sits. It is useful though, for measuring snow.

This was the last of the big snow that we had, that was Monday night, last, and through the night, it was about 10 inches or so. That was heavy snow, and my Husband really worked very hard to do a whole lot of ploughing with the shovel. We are fortunate that our long driveway can be cleared with a bobcat that has a 10 foot wide (or so) blade on it, so that is cleared nicely. But oh the chickens’ runs and our parking area, phew...now that is another story.

Enjoy the pictures and the narrations that go with it. Hope for no more snow. I know the big melt around here comes the first week of March, or so, then the masses of water pumping will begin, again....so really, not that much longer, yay, then Mother Nature can rear her beautiful head and make the world again become green. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

This was before the shoveling began. This was before the shoveling began. This is me standing on our deck, that is what you see in the forefront of the picture. Now look at the kind of dark thing between the snow piles, that is my garbage can measuring stick. I dug it out so I can actually walk to it and get the lid off without stretching too far.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Yep, my wonderful Man!! This is his shovel he uses up at our place, the shovel at the chickens' coops is about twice that width, massive and hauls a whole lotta snow.

This is the end run outside. The coop that the mottled Java are in. This coop and run will be freed up to raise youngsters and perhaps a place to separate a few special buff orpingtons into when that time comes nigh later in the spring for breeding those special few, smiling (Heather, you know what I mean). It is going to be awesome to have this entire coop and run for raising young ones. It is a nice size coop and the run is huge too, good for good stuff. It is not as tall as the main coop house, so much more easy to keep warmer for those tenderlings.

Husband I both shovel the chickens’ yards. But in all honesty, I have to say that he does about 95% of it. His height, with his huge wide plough shovel, versus my little height with my little baby shovel, nothing can compare. But I try to help now and then, smiling. He just seems that it is his job to get out there and be the snow plough, so I let him....his gig, takin’ care of his gal and birds, he loves the birds as much as I do, well, almost, hee, hee. He loves to do things that nurture their well being, and this pleases me.

Ya, snow, lots of it. The roofs on the coops are metal and slope. Sometimes that snow begins to slip off and the most incredible things are seen. There was a big white trim that was 6 inches by probably one inch that goes along the roof, but it fell off, sigh..the snow made it loosen and I removed it, cause it looked rather dangerous. We have some fixing up to do come spring (just around the corner I think, smiling).

This was kind of scarey, but finally dumped itself right off sometime during the night.

Look closely at the angle of the icicles, how on earth could that happen? But it did, incredible!!

Looking at a different angle of the snow slipping off the roof...

Weird eh?

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Cindi i love the picture of the snow sliding off the roof, that is sooo cool!

My mom lives in Kelowna and she sent pic's of all the snow you guys have that way, it sure is a lot for that area.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum