Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

fabric swap pictures

+10
Pollywog
HigginsRAT
'lilfarm
Ruffledfeathers
Prairie Chick
authenticfarm
uno
CynthiaM
cbrookkelly
coopslave
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26fabric swap pictures - Page 2 Empty Re: fabric swap pictures Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:26 am

I am not a quilter so forgive me if I'm not allowed to chime in, but Lanaire-Ranching, your post made me feel the need to pipe up.  I literally jumped in my seat when I read that you didn't want to use the fabric in that way, because I'm thinking that if the fabric had any say in the matter, it would be delighted to be fashioned into and then used in such a practical way.  I can only imagine the sorrow and muttering that must come from some beautiful pieces (or any sort of handcrafted artwork!) that languish in a closet, a chest, or worse, in a pile of other pieces, unused, and non-functioning.  

I am a big advocate of using the good candles, and putting the antique quilt out where someone can use it.  Smile  I have a very olde lap quilt made in Yarmouth, NS, and it always warms my heart when someone puts it over their knees while they visit.  I imagine some handy woman somewhere (probably passed on a long time ago) is also smiling fondly as she hears the compliments and sees the delight on the face of the user when they look at the beautiful fabrics and feel the textures she chose to mix.

I think potholders with a place of pride in the kitchen would do your fabric proud, and honour the work that goes into any of these items.

That's just my 2 bits.  Very Happy

27fabric swap pictures - Page 2 Empty Re: fabric swap pictures Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:54 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Here's my fabric palette from Blackdove!  She knows I love black and white!
I added in this green and used this pattern idea:
And here's my start:
The pattern called for maple leaves turned point in but I liked them point out (maybe look more like pitchforks but I liked the centre cross they form then)
I was thinking stylized Canada maple leafs rather than autumn leaves when I started....
Thanks for the inspiration!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

28fabric swap pictures - Page 2 Empty Re: fabric swap pictures Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:37 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Miry, I love those crisp, graphic prints in that precise design! Going to be awesome!

29fabric swap pictures - Page 2 Empty Re: fabric swap pictures Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:11 pm

I really like those prints too Miry. Can't wait to see what everyone's going to do! I am going to live vicariously though all of you talented quilters. Thanks for sharing this with us all.

30fabric swap pictures - Page 2 Empty Re: fabric swap pictures Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:16 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

farmchiq wrote:I really like those prints too Miry.  Can't wait to see what everyone's going to do!  I am going to live vicariously though all of you talented quilters.  Thanks for sharing this with us all.
Me too!

31fabric swap pictures - Page 2 Empty Re: fabric swap pictures Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:59 pm

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

lanaire-ranching wrote:uno, autheticfarm, I REALLY loved the fabrics you got!!!

but WOW. Blackdove. those take the cake!!!   Pollywog--- where did you find those???!!

I recieved mine yesterday, and hopefully if I can get a few spare moments later I will take pictures.... I am trying to decide what I want to make with them--- was leaning towards potholders so I can have them hanging in my kitchen (and I need some new ones!) but I dont know if I want to ruin the fabric by using them like that!!!  so I will keep thinking....
I got all 3 from fabric.com. I still have tons of both the cowboy and cowgirl fabrics.

32fabric swap pictures - Page 2 Empty Re: fabric swap pictures Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:03 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Got a little further with this project now.  I was going to make a cushion cover but I backed it with the lovely red so now not sure if it is going to be a wall hanging or a cushion cover after all...
This was the trickiest pattern I have ever attempted and no it is definitely not perfect! (and now I wonder if I should have used a darker green?) but anyhow I am pleased and am going to put a colored binding on it next and attempt to quilt it by hand instead of by machine as I usually do.
Blackdove, I finally looked closer at the rest of the white fabric and see you sent me two whites, the one has lovely doves and florals all over it!  Now I will have to make something using that!
Here you can see the red backing behind:

33fabric swap pictures - Page 2 Empty Re: fabric swap pictures Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:07 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Beautiful! I admire you quilters so much.

34fabric swap pictures - Page 2 Empty Re: fabric swap pictures Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:29 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

coopslave wrote:Beautiful!  I admire you quilters so much.
And you have just the house to quilt in now Coop!
by the way, What do you see in there? Pitchforks, trees, maple leaves have been suggested but interested to see what other see ?

35fabric swap pictures - Page 2 Empty Re: fabric swap pictures Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:23 am

blackdove

blackdove
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

So cool Miry!  Cool   It looks great!  Funny thing, I almost sent you a green fabric that same colour.  

That is a cool pattern, and the squares around the edges finish it off nicely.  The first thing I thought of was trees but I can see the maple leaf too.  

It is a grey day here, snowing again.  Great quilting weather, I am going to get my project started too.

36fabric swap pictures - Page 2 Empty Re: fabric swap pictures Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:41 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Amazing! I think the black adds such a graphic touch. I also see the traditional maple leaf pattern. Isn't it amazing how sewing something up makes the colours move and work? Like magic. Can hardly wait to see it with a pillow in it, Miry!

37fabric swap pictures - Page 2 Empty Re: fabric swap pictures Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:47 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Lovely!!!

Quilting is on my winter to-do list ... but I'm still working on my summer to-do list!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

38fabric swap pictures - Page 2 Empty Re: fabric swap pictures Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:31 am

'lilfarm

'lilfarm

I love what everyone has done so far.  Can't wait to see the rest.

I finished my table runner last night.   Pretty happy with it and had my first attempt at free motion quilting.  That was a bit nerve racking to say the least!!  Looks okay as long as you don’t look too close LOL.   As usual, cutting when I’m too tired.  I ended up having to take an extra ½ inch off each long side of my finished top to accommodate the backing that I shorted an inch in width.  I think I need to put up a sign by my cutting table that says in big black bold letters “ARE YOU SURE???”  You’d think I’d learn by now, measure twice, cut once.  (for me that should be measure three times) LOL.  Thank you for the fabric Authenticfarm!

39fabric swap pictures - Page 2 Empty Re: fabric swap pictures Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:02 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

beautiful lilfarm!  love your use of white and the actual quilting....just like snowballs! Smile

40fabric swap pictures - Page 2 Empty Re: fabric swap pictures Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:14 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

That is absolutely gorgeous! I would not have thought those were Christmasy colours, and yet they are! I am in awe.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum