Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Show me those gardens!

+16
Daisychainsaw
Blue Hill Farm
lanaire-ranching
mirycreek
Jonny Anvil
Schipperkesue
uno
'lilfarm
Cathyjk
SerJay
Bowker Acres
Fowler
CynthiaM
SucellusFarms
lady leghorn
bcboy
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

76Show me those gardens! - Page 4 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:28 pm

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

So sorry about your garden, Lanaire. That is awful!

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

77Show me those gardens! - Page 4 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:33 pm

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />Well this new system sure sucks ! But here are a couple of pic's that I somehow managed to get here

78Show me those gardens! - Page 4 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:27 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well our peonies looked nice for about 5 days. Super heavy rain day before yesterday and now they look like they exploded. Petals everywhere.

79Show me those gardens! - Page 4 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:02 am

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Very nice, Prairie. I'll have to get an up-dated pic of mine.

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

80Show me those gardens! - Page 4 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:17 pm

I had wanted to post before and after pic's , but this new system is killing me ! We have two gardens , this being the smaller one , the other one is where we plant mostly veining plants , melons , water melons , pumpkins , squash etc etc

81Show me those gardens! - Page 4 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:42 pm

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />

Grown a lot in two weeks , Tomatoes are blooming as are the cukes amd the lettuce is going fast .Corn is over three feet tall ,beans and peas are blooming as well

82Show me those gardens! - Page 4 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:09 pm

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

WOW Prairie Dog, that is an amazing garden you have. Mine is so far behind it is almost silly! I almost feel the pain of the amount of work that went into that....perhaps that is just the pain I have from trying to keep my weeds under control! Nicely done, you and your family will enjoy that all winter!

83Show me those gardens! - Page 4 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:31 pm

Thanks , I actually gambled and planted it the first week of May this year ? And a lot of preparation went into this plot , all the rocks that surround it were dug up by "" ME"" and all my lawn clippings and leaves plus the chicken manure went into it .It's actually only two years old so not bad eh ? It's mostly just for fresh eating and shareing with friends  ....BBQ with fresh corn in fall along with salads and maybe a bean soup ?

84Show me those gardens! - Page 4 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:08 pm

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

taking some pictures today. Some of it did grow, and it looks lovely right now--- but that is the sad part. its only JUST starting to flower, get good, etc. and we are already having frost. a hard frost and I will be finished. sigh. was a hard year this year!!!!!! anyhow! cant wait to post pictures, it does look really pretty right now flower 

85Show me those gardens! - Page 4 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:09 pm

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Fowler wrote:Well our peonies looked nice for about 5 days.  Super heavy rain day before yesterday and now they look like they exploded.  Petals everywhere.
I got maybe three days full bloom with mine before they were ripped apart by hail. it was so sad. I hardly got any flowering plants to flower this year because of the hail... but always next year!! Smile

86Show me those gardens! - Page 4 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:25 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

We have had a garden in same spot for 17 years now.  Started out with almost pure sand (dug out from making a basement) so no topsoil. First few years I could hardly grow weeds. Every fall we  added lots of cow manure and straw in the spring and the soil has really improved.
Late, cold spring this year with manure so hard and dry I was almost too discouraged to plant. but after watering it for several days and rototilling twice got it planted.
We were very blessed this year with timely rain and have had a good garden.
Every Spring (and especially this one) I have a hard time getting motivated to plant as I forget how good the garden can grow.  I wanted to take these series of photos to look at next year to remind me how the work can be worth it!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
9-06-2013
19-06-2013
23-06-2013
03-08-2013
(I kinda missed taking a pic from same spot in July oops!)

Already making plans for next year, like put the flowers in front not in the middle of the garden where I cant see them!  do two rows of corn on each end of the garden not up the middle (made watering harder) and plant them two weeks apart so not all the corn ripens at once!
Had these red peony poppies that I really liked, if anyone wants seed from these for next year I would be very happy to mail you some!

Also if the lady who wanted irises still wants them I can send them to her or anyone else who wants some old style yellow irises.

Last edited by mirycreek on Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

87Show me those gardens! - Page 4 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:43 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Best lettuce I ever grew was this heritage seed butterhead.  It never bolted and was so tender and sweet
This was a new snap or sugar pea(edible pods) for me, it was later blooming than my lincloln homestead nonedible pod peas, tall which needed staking but had very beautiful flowers just like a sweet pea and prolific once it got going
Lincoln homestead peas and Simonet corn
And just after one of those timely rains:

88Show me those gardens! - Page 4 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:45 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hi Miry
Would love some Poppy seed they are Beautiful and some Iris also what do you want for them
Thanks
Joe

89Show me those gardens! - Page 4 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:04 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

No charge joe just shipping on the iris bulbs probably would have to go small parcel.
Unless you have tradesies? I am lookinf for good garlic bulbs to plant this fall also any nonhybrid flower or garden seed for zone 3.

90Show me those gardens! - Page 4 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:16 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Also scarlet flax seed if anyone wants it. Such a nice color and grows easily even in hot dry conditions.
An annual unlike the perennial blue flax so it does not become a weed problem. I have never had it self seed. Always collect the seed and resow in the spring.

91Show me those gardens! - Page 4 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:28 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

I will go through what seeds I have and let you know miry I know I have some been and maybe some Tomato and spinach all heirloom but I will check

92Show me those gardens! - Page 4 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:17 pm

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

My garden is starting to wind up already. I have already pulled the snap peas, and the regular peas. The beans will have one last pick tomorrow and then I will yard them up as well. I am so sick of green beans. I must have picked over 10 5-gallon pails of them. I froze about half and sold the other half at the market. The beets are ready to pickle - if I can just find time. My apples have been picked and have been making pie filling all day today. In the next couple of days I will go out and pick all the tomatoes from the greenhouse and stop watering them. I will leave the cukes and peppers for a bit yet. Raspberries are done...

This time of year is so busy, but so rewarding. I love to see all the new jars on my table every evening.

Off to enjoy a piece of hard earned pie!

93Show me those gardens! - Page 4 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:55 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Miry, I would love some of the red peony seeds. Nice garden, by the way!! I have taken pictures of mine about 2 weeks ago, just can't find the time to make a post. I am in the throws of putting down some of the garden, and it is jsut the beginning. Ya, for sure, that peach salsa, with some stuff from my gardens has been consuming me!! Eeeks, got my peaches as seconds for half price, so that made me buy twice as many as I would have, smiling. I will bring pictures of my garden probably in fall when I am in the house much more. Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

94Show me those gardens! - Page 4 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:50 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have let my garden go, it's full of weed... Who would like to see my weed filled garden? Post up now and I will post picures before dark rabbit  hehehe

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum