Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Show me those gardens!

+16
Daisychainsaw
Blue Hill Farm
lanaire-ranching
mirycreek
Jonny Anvil
Schipperkesue
uno
'lilfarm
Cathyjk
SerJay
Bowker Acres
Fowler
CynthiaM
SucellusFarms
lady leghorn
bcboy
20 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1Show me those gardens! Empty Show me those gardens! Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:44 pm

I will post pictures of my pitiful crap-heap of a garden when I get home. You, share yours as it stands right meow!

2Show me those gardens! Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:51 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Okay you asked for it... Laughing Laughing Laughing tongue

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The Youtube video is uploading, will post link when done. Shocked

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

3Show me those gardens! Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:34 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

4Show me those gardens! Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:37 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

What a gorgeous garden yard etc. But what else should I expect from the interior. cheers

I can't even get a garden started, Sad I need good topsoil delivered here, the ground is solid clay.

Do you think I can find anybody that will deliver about 8 yards of weed free topsoil.

Not in our area anyway!!!!

If I don't get some soon I might as well forget about planting anything. pale

Even then our season is so short, not much is going to grow this late. No

5Show me those gardens! Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:20 pm

So nice to meet you, BC boy! I will have to do a video as well. I was kind of (well, -really-) cantankerous tonight and didn't get out to the garden. Tomorrow. Maybe the bugs wont be so bad tomorrow (AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAhaaaaaa *Cough*).

Your garden sure is lovely. I like the clean look of rows, however since my desk looks like a tree sneezed, it translates to my garden as well. I try companion planting every year, doesn't seem to work too well since one or the other never grows LOL.

Do you hill your potatoes as they grow?

6Show me those gardens! Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:15 am

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

7Show me those gardens! Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:48 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wow, Bcboy in Vernon and his asparagus already going to seed, Sucellus and the coastal garden, rock my socks. I'll get some pictures of mine today, not much going on yet, but some things are germinated and up. Planted lots, but nothing emerged, as the planting was only a few days ago. I am in the throws of planting more. Got my pole beans in yesterday. The weather has been so wet, thankin' my lucky stars I did not put beans in yet. Peas and potatoes, planted about 40 days ago are doing fabulous though. I'll get some pics today. have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

8Show me those gardens! Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:01 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

See, now it's things like this that make is so hard for me to like British Columbia. I'm going to take pictures of my garden in July and then put them up next February claiming I just took them that morning.

Garden is mostly in but I won't be seeing my seedlings for a while yet.

Sucellus, what are those posts you've used? I've got a spot that I've been thinking would be good to plant in but I need to put up some sort of temporary fence to keep the sheep and chickens out.

9Show me those gardens! Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:07 am

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

No point posting a picture of my garden. It is planted and things are just starting to poke out of the ground, but it really doesn't look like much yet. If I can round up a few batteries for my camera I will take a pic of the greenhouse though. I do have little tomatoes and peppers on the plants already and we should be eating ripe cherry tomatoes within the next few weeks. I am pretty stoked about those!

10Show me those gardens! Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:06 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Only got the raised bed garden in the front planted so far. We just finished Monday night planted, tented and finished the overhead netting. Next is to do the flat garden out back with potatoes, corn, squashes and pumpkins but its been pretty wet lately Sad

Not long ago I posted pics of my geese playing in the water on the snow and the sticks you saw above the snow were the posts we use to fence and tent our raised beds
So here it is without 4+ft of snow

The reason we added overhead netting

Lilac blooming and its not July woohoo! Smells sooooo pretty

11Show me those gardens! Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:29 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

SerJay wrote:....
Not long ago I posted pics of my geese playing in the water on the snow and the sticks you saw above the snow were the posts we use to fence and tent our raised beds
So here it is without 4+ft of snow

Hey, what is the netting you have over everything... that looks like brilliant 'keep the deer out' stuff

12Show me those gardens! Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:39 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Netting is an old fish net I got out of my Gramps storage last year. It goes the full length across the garden (50ft) and over the 30x30ft enclosed pen on the other side of the garden. It's only 30ft wide though so used black bale twine to stitch another piece onto the front part of the garden up to the greenhouse roof. Oops forgot to pull out the ladder before attaching the netting Embarassed

Our worries are overhead predators since we had snowy owl visiting in winter and in the past 2 weeks I've snapped pics of redtailed hawk, northern harrier, bald eagle and we know there's a great horned nest a couple houses over. Mostly its for the horrid pain in butt ravens and crows that just won't go away Grrrrr!

Next job is to replace the page wire around the garden area with no climb hopefully this weekend but gotta get that back garden planted as well

13Show me those gardens! Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:45 pm

'lilfarm

'lilfarm

Things are just starting to come up so not too much to look at yet.

In the little greenhouse are a few red peppers and a small experimental planting of chickpeas.

14Show me those gardens! Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:42 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

What I grow best: rocks. Just a little of the bedrock that comes pointing up through the earth all over the place here.

Potatoes, growing in a heap of junk.

Garden boxes. Note awesome full sun exposure. No shade in sight. The black bag on a stick is to scare away deer. It does not.

Blueberries netted. Stawberry beds to the right, another bed to the left.

Stawberry bed. Raspberries in pots behind. Can you distinguish raspberries from the other...uh...shrubbery?

Chicken house with green door. Bubble pen has split rail fencing, and Hub has ugly sled shed.

The Virginia Creeper is looking a little spindly. BUt getting rid of it would mean mass destruction to the lattice, that it has wound its way through.

15Show me those gardens! Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:45 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Here is my garden so far. The big garden still needs to be tilled and filled with the three sisters.

This is the front entrance of our house. We have three flower boxes.

The first is planted with carrots.

The second is planted with herbs.

And the third is planted with lettuce and cats. The cats sprouted as voluntary additions.

16Show me those gardens! Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:39 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

'lilfarm wrote:Things are just starting to come up so not too much to look at yet.

In the little greenhouse are a few red peppers and a small experimental planting of chickpeas.

Thanks for thge great idea. I like the concrete foot prints!! Laughing
Thats what I do for a living, concrete. Lot more of back breaking work... What the hell am I doing. Shocked

17Show me those gardens! Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:56 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

I really hate to say it, but I don't think I will have much for a garden this year, didn't get the tiller repaired and I don't think it would come back to life even if I tried. No $ for a new one and every time I try to rent one from the Dome Hepot, it's rented out or raining.

So I think I am going to just plant some beans I got from Roots, and Continue to grow my Pink Corn from Country Thyme, after the millet sale I will see where things are at.
Tomorrow I will post pics of the garden, or weed patch.

18Show me those gardens! Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:33 am

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Fowler wrote:See, now it's things like this that make is so hard for me to like British Columbia. I'm going to take pictures of my garden in July and then put them up next February claiming I just took them that morning.

Garden is mostly in but I won't be seeing my seedlings for a while yet.

Sucellus, what are those posts you've used? I've got a spot that I've been thinking would be good to plant in but I need to put up some sort of temporary fence to keep the sheep and chickens out.

The poles are step-in electric fence posts. I put chicken wire on them to keep the chickens, goats and dogs out of the garden. My pics were actually taken 3 weeks ago, so everything has grown a lot more since then. Twisted Evil I am so glad I don't have to garden up north anymore. When I lived in Fort Nelson years ago it snowed on my tomatoes in AUGUST!

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

19Show me those gardens! Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:31 am

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sweetened wrote:

Your garden sure is lovely.

Do you hill your potatoes as they grow?

Lots of work has gone into that garden. 3 full dump trucks of top scrapings. 10 bales of straw at the end of every year.

I am going to try hilling my potatoes this year to see how it works.

20Show me those gardens! Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:59 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote:What I grow best: rocks. Just a little of the bedrock that comes pointing up through the earth all over the place here.

That's a fine crop of rocks. Picked many a rock growing up. Have to remove any from the fields that could damage machinery.

We had the whole rock life cycle worked out.

1. Pebbles incubate on the surface, warmed by the sun.
2. Pebbles hatch and the baby rocklings migrate down to grow for several years.
3. Once large enough to throw out the back of anyone stupid enough to try and pick them up, the adult rocks migrate back to the surface to breed. At this point the female 'Stones' greatly outnumber the male 'Boulders' but that is fine as one boulder can fertilize many pebbles. The females must each lay thousands of pebbles because, in all the years we culled the adults, there was no decrease in the overall rock population.

21Show me those gardens! Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:12 am

'lilfarm

'lilfarm

Uno, you should check out this video "The Agro Rebel". This guy, Sepp Holzer, grows massive pumpkins on piles of rocks on the side of a mountain!!

uno wrote:What I grow best: rocks. Just a little of the bedrock that comes pointing up through the earth all over the place here.

22Show me those gardens! Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:17 am

'lilfarm

'lilfarm

I love looking at everyone's gardens.

bcboy wrote:Thanks for thge great idea. I like the concrete foot prints!! Laughing
Thats what I do for a living, concrete. Lot more of back breaking work... What the hell am I doing. Shocked

That's neat you would be able to do that! My daughter found 4 of those for me on Kijiji as freebies.

23Show me those gardens! Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:02 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler, you forgot about the Gremlin rocks. We have those here in BC. Gremlin rocks appear to be not too big, not too many. Compact and contained. As in, looking in a waterline at the rock in the bottom, you imagine that blasting it out will be no big deal, there isn't that much rock.

Add dynamite.

Your Gremlin rock, formerly neatly contained, has now BLOWN UP into rocks spread all over the place and you get to gather them up and do you think they will ever be as neat and contained as before? Hell no! A two gallon hole will produce 11 gallons of rock. ROck in ground becomes massive rock piles everywhere. Plus, the fastest way to limb a stand of trees is set off a charge of dynamite in nearby bedrock. Naked trees!

24Show me those gardens! Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:05 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

This is my current garden, or there for lack of. I have a few things like strawberries, some corn, and beans but nothing is planted, what I have gathered is either sitting on the deck or still soaking in paper towels. But the local green house has some nice started garden goodies I might go and support them Smile

25Show me those gardens! Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:18 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

That's a beautiful spot for a garden Johnny!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum