Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Show me those gardens!

+16
Daisychainsaw
Blue Hill Farm
lanaire-ranching
mirycreek
Jonny Anvil
Schipperkesue
uno
'lilfarm
Cathyjk
SerJay
Bowker Acres
Fowler
CynthiaM
SucellusFarms
lady leghorn
bcboy
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

26Show me those gardens! - Page 2 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:05 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

In the picture I posted above, you can see my lonely raspberry bush struggling to become bountiful amongst the wild grass and weeds.

You are right, Very Happy it's a great spot for a garden and has served as such in the past. I can't seam to find any pics of the garden in the past, being used as a garden but I did dig up this image.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Winter time fun!

27Show me those gardens! - Page 2 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:15 pm

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Fingers crossed this works! been a long time since I have posted pictures here Very Happy

this is the main garden. we are trying hilling everything this year to see if it makes a difference. so far we are really happy with it! and the hills/rows are spaced so that we can till in between them for weeding Very Happy
hills closest-- zucchini, beets, onions, carrots with dill, scarlet pole beans, and sugar snap peas. also a pumpkin from someone else's last year crop. I had seen that if you stuff them with dirt and plant them the seeds will sprout? who knows, but the kids loved doing it.
hills furthest-- squash (butternut and spaghetti) and about 80 potato plants
up the side of the greenhouse you can see in the picture are anasazi beans planted to grow up it, and also on the front of the greenhouse (looking into the garden/west side)

inside the greenhouse (which for those that might recoginize it because they have known me that long! its my first chicken coop! it was a hoophouse I built four years ago? gosh has it been that long? maybe longer...)
along the back, cucumbers that will grow up and then along the top hopefully. tomatoes on the south side, cabbage in front of it and on the northwest side brussel sprouts, lettuce and spinach on the north side and I just planted some leek seed right behind the lettuce. also on the west side (which is the door so basically on the other side of the door from the brussel sprouts) I also tried a little bit of started celery just to try it

on the deck are the planters, I tried one of each of the cabbage/brussel sprouts outside to see what they do, one planter is full of the anasazi beans, the other has a couple strawberries, a stevia and a chocolate mint --all just for fun.

along the front of the house... in all the planters against the house-- more scarlet pole beans. might as well!! I could use the greenery and at least (fingers crossed) it will be useful greenery! in the one planter at the bottom of the stairs more dill, and on the other side of the stairs I put in more bush beans. ALL landscaping this year was veggies. no sense in wasting my time with bushes that wont grow, any open spots were put into a bean or dill or something else useful Very Happy

this little patch is a joke between me and Mister. I cant take the stress of grain farming, so last year this was my little grain patch! was pretty darn cool too! it was supposed to be a mustard patch this year but those went up on the deck (and I forgot that picture, but heck I have way to much already going on for pictures so it can wait til later) Instead I planted a wildflower patch for the girls-- they dont know it yet, so it will be a nice surprise for them. OH and that is the little A-frame that Mister just built me, completely recycled/salvaged materials. didnt cost a dime! its my new intermediate "pen" for chicks that are too big for inside but too small for the coop. he's going to build me a few more on the weekend hopefully Smile

and this is last year's heifer calf noticing that there is something in the A-frame! she is such a goof. she stood there for at least five minutes staring trying to figure it out!

28Show me those gardens! - Page 2 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:54 am

Beautiful gardens everyone. I got home last night with the intention of planting my strawberries (moved the strawberry patch, they'll probably all die, or worse), loop hoeing (ditto, bcboy) and raking the weeds to make it look like I'm a diligent weeder, then taking pictures and posting.

I arrived home to find the fence crashed, potato tops eaten, peas and beans consumed, lettuce and spinach gone, pepper plants as stubs, radishes ripped up, miniature 10 week old tomato starts disappeared, and beet tops demolished. I'm ticked off, beyond belief, but, I guess this is what happens with free ranging (thank you winter) goats that are expert fence breakers.

So I didn't take any pictures. I put in the strawberry plants so they could be eaten and went in the house and pouted.

29Show me those gardens! - Page 2 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:11 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

That sucks Sweetened. You'll get there again.

Thanks to everyone for posting pics. You've all given me such good ideas for the future.

I’m a little embarrassed to even post a picture of mine. It looks pretty rustic. Please keep in mind it’s my first garden ever and I’m still at the experimental stage. Laughing
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The only thing up so far as I can tell is an onion. And some weeds. At least I think its weeds…but I’m not pulling anything up until I’m sure.

30Show me those gardens! - Page 2 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:40 am

Daisychainsaw

Daisychainsaw

I am kinda jealous of all the lovely gardens and greenhouses! Wink

Here is a few of my deck gardening. I will try to take a few of the big garden today, although I think the weeds are taking over from the tiny plants!

Lettuce mix in the little pots on the table

Tomatoes and sweet peppers in with the flowers!

Zucchini and tomato plant in with my Daisies!

Lettuce and Kale growing in my mini wheelbarrow with my garden gnome keeping watch!

This pot had an Ivy that I brought in the house last year and managed to keep alive. I added some violas/pansies and it is thriving outside!

Yes, I love the little pansies/violas!

Tomato with some lobelia flowers

31Show me those gardens! - Page 2 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:19 am

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Ah, Sweetened, that's so horrible! My heart goes out to you.

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

32Show me those gardens! - Page 2 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:44 am

Sorry to hear that Sweetened , I had a chicken last year that constantly flew the coop as it were and ended up in the newly planted garden !Totally screwed up my planted rows , eat most of my seed etc etc .I tried cutting the wings ,didn't help ! so I finally just cleaned her up ! I reseeded and still managed to have a awesome garden as you will if you just reseed .

33Show me those gardens! - Page 2 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:11 am

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

oh sweetened! that does suck! I would of been pouting pretty hard too!

I agree, there might be a chance if you reseed now, that things will still be ready in time!

and after having my own goats, I swore if I was going to raise them again that it would be either chainlink fencing or electric. I have been told by a lot of people that the goats respond really well to just a strand or two of electric fence, and if you use push in posts you can rotate/move around their grazing so that they are less likely to get bored....

34Show me those gardens! - Page 2 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:41 am

'lilfarm

'lilfarm

dang goats! That's so disheartening! But still, as Prairie Dog said, it's not too late to reseed at all. I put in my garden about this time last year and had great results.

35Show me those gardens! - Page 2 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:31 pm

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Just came in from repairing part of the garden the dogs dug up. I wish my garden looked like your guys. Won't have much of a garden this year. Chickens are taking all of my time. The garden in my mind looks like what I am seeing in your guys pictures.

36Show me those gardens! - Page 2 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:21 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

'lilfarm wrote:dang goats! That's so disheartening! But still, as Prairie Dog said, it's not too late to reseed at all. I put in my garden about this time last year and had great results.
PM me your addy and I have some extra seeds for you if you want? I will mail them to you. Show me those gardens! - Page 2 931874130

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

37Show me those gardens! - Page 2 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:37 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

'lilfarm wrote:dang goats! That's so disheartening! But still, as Prairie Dog said, it's not too late to reseed at all. I put in my garden about this time last year and had great results.

I'm still not done yet. I'm sprouting some beans (they're old and I'm not sure how many might grow) and still have to seed my carrots. Still lots of time.

38Show me those gardens! - Page 2 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:51 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

lanaire-ranching wrote:Fingers crossed this works! been a long time since I have posted pictures here Very Happy

this is the main garden. we are trying hilling everything this year to see if it makes a difference. so far we are really happy with it! and the hills/rows are spaced so that we can till in between them for weeding Very Happy
hills closest-- zucchini, beets, onions, carrots with dill, scarlet pole beans, and sugar snap peas. also a pumpkin from someone else's last year crop. I had seen that if you stuff them with dirt and plant them the seeds will sprout? who knows, but the kids loved doing it.
up the side of the greenhouse you can see in the picture are anasazi beans planted to grow up it, and also on the front of the greenhouse (looking into the garden/west side)

inside the greenhouse (which for those that might recoginize it because they have known me that long! its my first chicken coop! it was a hoophouse I built four years ago? gosh has it been that long? maybe longer...)
along the back, cucumbers that will grow up and then along the top hopefully. tomatoes on the south side, cabbage in front of it and on the northwest side brussel sprouts, lettuce and spinach on the north side and I just planted some leek seed right behind the lettuce. also on the west side (which is the door so basically on the other side of the door from the brussel sprouts) I also tried a little bit of started celery just to try it
What is your hoop house made from? Is that concrete reinforcing mesh? 6 by 6 by 6 6 or 6 6 8 8 or 6 6 10 10?
20' sheet by 7' 6" ?
I think hilling your rows will work well. I see all the commercial vegtable farms hill their row with black plastic. It gives the roots more material to grow in and keeps the weeds away? Shocked
Is that why they do it that way?
Like this.

Less water is need to? Because it does not evaporate through the plastic?

39Show me those gardens! - Page 2 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:56 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have no time to weed my garden.....It takes time way from my young family. I'm trying grass mulch this year to see how it works. But this looks good too.
plastic culture farming....

40Show me those gardens! - Page 2 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:08 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Those black plastic hills look like a great idea! It'd warm that soil up and keep it warm for longer especially with our short short growing season not to mention I am a HORRENDOUS weeder as in I don't weed Embarassed I just sent the horse and goats into the back garden for a couple days to clear and rototill Embarassed Embarassed We just got our garden finished today with the planting of our potatoes so will have to wait til next year to try it but I think its a great idea. My front raised bed garden is weeded and kept nice and neat by my geese and ducks Embarassed

41Show me those gardens! - Page 2 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:16 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I'm using grass to mulch over my whole garden this year.
here is a couple of videos of what I'm trying to do.
research...

This one
----->>>>>>>>>>[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]<<<<<<<<<<<----------------
Yes this one^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\

This one 22222222
this research is changing what i know about gardening..............What do i know now??????????
Should I do this????

42Show me those gardens! - Page 2 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:21 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Masanobu Fukuoka
he knows all........

one more to look at...........................................................................................................................................................

43Show me those gardens! - Page 2 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:07 pm

bcboy wrote:
lanaire-ranching wrote:Fingers crossed this works! been a long time since I have posted pictures here Very Happy

inside the greenhouse (which for those that might recognize it because they have known me that long! its my first chicken coop! it was a hoop house I built four years ago? gosh has it been that long? maybe longer...)
What is your hoop house made from? Is that concrete reinforcing mesh? 6 by 6 by 6 6 or 6 6 8 8 or 6 6 10 10?
20' sheet by 7' 6" ?
I think healing your rows will work well. I see all the commercial vegetable farms hill their row with black plastic. It gives the roots more material to grow in and keeps the weeds away? Shocked
Is that why they do it that way?
Like this.

Less water is need to? Because it does not evaporate through the plastic?
......actually the poly keeps in the moisture and warms the soil so it acts like a sort like a greenhouse ?It also doesn't allow for airborne seeds to start within the area of what the poly covers and all this helps promote growth with as little work as required to keep it clean .But mostly it doesn't allow for the evaporation of what moisture that is under the poly

44Show me those gardens! - Page 2 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:17 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sweetened, you have my sympathy. We often find our plants mowed down by wild goats. We call them deer. As in, I'd like to shoot you in the face, deer.

This time of year I become a rabid hater of wildlife. If something isn't eating my chickens, they're munching my garden. Has anyone told you that deer don't eat tomatoes? They're right. Deer don't eat tomatoes. But they bite each one off the plant and spit them out on the ground with teeth marks in them. So while they might not EAT your tomatoes, they will still destroy the crop looking for something they might like.

Some days you have to wonder why a person even bothers. I'm coming over Sweetened, you put on the coffee and I'll bring the liquor and we'll sit outside and moan about stuff.

45Show me those gardens! - Page 2 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:48 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote:They're right. Deer don't eat tomatoes. But they bite each one off the plant and spit them out on the ground with teeth marks in them. So while they might not EAT your tomatoes, they will still destroy the crop looking for something they might like.

My sheep would do that to my newly planted strawberries. Pull the plant out of the soil, "Oh, that's not good to eat after all", spit plant back out so it can die in the sun.

46Show me those gardens! - Page 2 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:06 am

Animals who crash fences, I think, are some of the worst annoyances. Goats, especially, it would seem. Once a goat learns to get in somewhere, it will try everything in its arsenal to continue to have access to that new area (or smorgasbord). I love those goats, but they are trying my patience.

You know those electric fence posts posted earlier? They broke those in the spot I fixed where they crashed the fence to get in. If they cant get over it, they'll continuously try to go through it until it yields or they flip over it. Electric fence? Charged or not, they go right through it. Next step has to be page wire, but that's not in the budget at the moment, so free range goats eating my strawberries and potatoes and tomatoes and onions and garlic is just something I'll have to deal with, I suppose.

Thanks for sharing, keep them coming.

47Show me those gardens! - Page 2 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:14 am

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

BCboy,

they are hog panels Smile 10 footers if I remember right? I built a rough 8 or 9 by the same frame, bent the panels over it, swore a few times while trying to staple the panels to the frame while keeping the panels bent, swore some more, got it finished just as Mister walked over and asked if I needed help, told him to bugger off and build me a door. then I found out the light as a feather hoop-coop-house that you should be able to move around the yard so they always had fresh grass to munch as was not so much. so it sat until last year when I repurposed it to its new job! and I LOVE IT! actually Mister is going to build me another one when we move, same basic concept but a little taller so that I can actually stand up inside it

48Show me those gardens! - Page 2 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:17 am

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Sweetened wrote: Electric fence? Charged or not, they go right through it. Next step has to be page wire, but that's not in the budget at the moment, so free range goats eating my strawberries and potatoes and tomatoes and onions and garlic is just something I'll have to deal with, I suppose.

Thanks for sharing, keep them coming.

Oh that sucks Sweetened! if you were closer I would share some coffee with you and Uno and we could devise a plan to keep them out of your lovely garden!

49Show me those gardens! - Page 2 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:28 am

uno wrote:Some days you have to wonder why a person even bothers. I'm coming over Sweetened, you put on the coffee and I'll bring the liquor and we'll sit outside and moan about stuff.

Uno, when will you be here? I'll put on the percolator so it's ready for you and haul the couch outside.

50Show me those gardens! - Page 2 Empty Re: Show me those gardens! Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:59 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I got a late start this year. Things seem to be enjoying the warmer weather and showers though, so it may not set me back.

We did not do a good job digging potatoes last year Embarassed we have many volunteers. I was going to dig them up but decided to let them grow. I usually rotate the potatoes every year and only grow them in a section of the garden every third year, oh well.

Here is the growing bit and section one planted.

The front portion was the potato section for this year, at the back I have lettuce, broccoli, cauli, cabbage, arugula, beets, lots of beets Very Happy and for the first time for me, bush beans. I am interested in them. Oh, I forgot the peas on the trellis.

You can see things just starting to come in this picture.

YOu can see how the potatoes are taking over a bit!!! Rolling Eyes

Bush beans doing well so far.

This photo shows phase 2 in the back. I have done a second planting of a few things and also planted the dreaded CORN. Yes, I am a total sucker for punishment. It is and under 60 day corn, so wish me luck!

Thought I would share may strawberries too. This was a sand pit that must have been made for kids at some stage and the strawberries seem to love it! They got some nice chook poo this year so strawberry shortcake is on the menu.

I have so enjoyed seeing all your gardens and having major envy with what many of you can grow. Keep us posted on your progress with them!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum