Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The best dust bath for chickens is...

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The best dust bath for chickens is... Empty The best dust bath for chickens is... Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:19 am

I made a dust bath for the chickens from wood ash, sandy dirt, peat and diatomaceous earth and put it in a large metal tub. They did not go in it, so I assumed it was too small of a space for their comfort. I dumped it on the ground and immediately, there were 4 hens vying for the spot, flipping upside down excitedly, and dusting themselves. Is that a good mix? Should I add anything else and how often do they require the dust bath? They quickly demolished the spot and eventually covered it with scratch hay, so I would have to create a new spot for them. The only one who did use the pan was the little tiny tiny Old English Game Hen.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

She looks happy in there!
Maybe a bigger container? I know what you mean, if you put it on the ground it soon disappears...
Sounds like a great mix to me. I dont usually bother with it til winter time and then they do use one, otherwise they are busy trying to dust bath in the straw on the coop floor!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

How nice of you to do that thing. Yes, if that is a teeny tiny bantam, that pan is certainly to small for the larger birds. They like lots of room to flip, flop and mop around. Chickens love to dust bath. I need to get more peat into my coops so my birds can bath for surely too. The rice hulls really help to keep the moisture out, and with some peat, I can see my birds in heaven. Most of the coops are dry as a bone, with the poopy stuff mostly below the roosts. Can't wait to get home to see my chickens!! Beautiful and awesome, happy days for us all, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum