Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Do Roosters Dust bathe?

+2
CynthiaM
bigrock
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Do Roosters Dust bathe? Empty Do Roosters Dust bathe? Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:35 am

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

just wondering- i don't beleive i have ever seen my roosters dust bathe; and so do you have to look after them differently? I would think they would get bugs

2Do Roosters Dust bathe? Empty Re: Do Roosters Dust bathe? Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:11 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have certainly seen my roosters taking a dust bath, not as frequently as the females, but yes they do.  I think roosters are too busy looking after things to take the time to dust bath frequently.  They need to watch the sky, the air surrounding the girls, everything. But for surely, they enjoy it too now and then.  they just do it when you are not watching, smiling...have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

These three pictures are of the buff orpington rooster, a couple of his girls and some babies, ALL taking a dust bath together, very cute! the first picture, only you can see of the rooster is his back end. Yes, roosters love to dust bath too!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

3Do Roosters Dust bathe? Empty Re: Do Roosters Dust bathe? Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:45 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

YEs, roosters dustbathe and as CYnthiaM says, just not as often as the ladies do.

They do get buggy, but if you have a No Pest strip in your hen house, you have taken steps to keep the bugs OUT.

There is nothing more you can do for them but provide them a place to dust bathe if they want, and keep the bugs to a dull roar through hanging a No Pest strip and using bug killers when needed.

4Do Roosters Dust bathe? Empty Re: Do Roosters Dust bathe? Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:35 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

5Do Roosters Dust bathe? Empty Re: Do Roosters Dust bathe? Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:42 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ah Tara, you brought that smile to my face. Ya, that is cute, now isn't it. Picture what that little dude is thinking about. Should I, should I not, go play in the dirt like mamma, pappa and my siblings. It is so funny the dust baths of any birds. Sometimes they look like they are well, just dead, full of dirty stuff, eyes closed. Look how dirty some of those chicks look, then they stand up shake, and the feathers all fall into place and the dirt falls to the ground. It is amazing all the hollows in the chicken yards, where clearly, a whole lotta dust bathin' is goin' on. Cuteness pictures for surely, do so enjoy, and you bad, girl, too, stop staring at the picture and get back onto your work! Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

6Do Roosters Dust bathe? Empty Re: Do Roosters Dust bathe? Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:03 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

He is not a chicken but he is a boy. My tom loves his dust baths. He has quite the procedure, giving equal attention to each side. His eyes close in a happy stupor and loads up the dirt in his feathers. So much, in fact, that he has trouble getting up and is slow and lodgy. Then he shakes and it is like a vacuum cleaner explosion.

7Do Roosters Dust bathe? Empty Re: Do Roosters Dust bathe? Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:07 am

ChickenTeam

ChickenTeam

I've noticed my chantecler rooster dust bathes much more often than the ameraucana rooster. Maybe it is because he has a smaller pen and fewer hens to take care of. We created a new breed this summer - gray chanteclers. The little white chicks came out all gray after their romp in the dirt. Unfortunately, it is only a part time breed. Maybe I could call them colour-changing chanteclers Very Happy . It is so fun to watch 5 or 6 chickens all rolling around in one big hole - keeps my attention for longer than it should, just like Cynthia's beautiful buff orpington pictures.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum