Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

...in need of a new rooster

+2
Schipperkesue
Rasilon
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1...in need of a new rooster Empty ...in need of a new rooster Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:13 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hello, If anybody breeds or knows of a breeder of Partridge Silkies and who has as available rooster can you please let me know. I want a good quality bird with ten toes. thanks geri

2...in need of a new rooster Empty Re: ...in need of a new rooster Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:41 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Are you wanting to show? Make sure the boy does not have duck foot. That is the DQ I am struggling with right now! 10 toes is not enough!

Sue

3...in need of a new rooster Empty Re: ...in need of a new rooster Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:21 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Are you wanting to show? Make sure the boy does not have duck foot. That is the DQ I am struggling with right now! 10 toes is not enough!

Sue
YEs you are right. I want a chicken footed 10 toed bird lolollol

4...in need of a new rooster Empty Re: ...in need of a new rooster Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:31 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have some Partridge (I think) chicks right now from Marsha Small. She has nice Silkies. You could try her. If you are still looking when my chicks are old enough I may have one.

Sue

5...in need of a new rooster Empty Re: ...in need of a new rooster Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:36 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Schipperkesue wrote:I have some Partridge (I think) chicks right now from Marsha Small. She has nice Silkies. You could try her. If you are still looking when my chicks are old enough I may have one.

Sue
I have not seen her birds but had 16 eggs brought to me from her from the show in wetaskewin. Five of 3 different breeds and one partridge silkie egg. If it does hatch with my luckit will be a hen. I will miss this years breeding season sigh

6...in need of a new rooster Empty Re: ...in need of a new rooster Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:11 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

If it does hatch with my luck it will be a hen

Laughing This was cute, usually people want pullets!
Good cockerels are just as hard to find sometimes.

7...in need of a new rooster Empty Re: ...in need of a new rooster Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:21 am

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

coopslave wrote:
If it does hatch with my luck it will be a hen

Laughing This was cute, usually people want pullets!
Good cockerels are just as hard to find sometimes.

I have 2 partridge hens. Started out with one and a rooster. He was sterile. Hen sat on clutch after clutch that were no good. I got a black rooster, not the color I wanted but.... She laid 12 eggs and had 8 black chicks. Kept best pullet. Sold black rooster. Got this partridge rooster and hen in Sept. Have just put them together last Sunday. So as you can see I have not had too much success and my hen is getting older.
Geri

8...in need of a new rooster Empty Ok that is a new term to me. Fri May 25, 2012 10:24 am

Chick Town Farm

New Here

Schipperkesue wrote:Are you wanting to show? Make sure the boy does not have duck foot. That is the DQ I am struggling with right now! 10 toes is not enough!

Sue

Hi Sue, What is a duck-foot in a silkie? I haven't heard of it before. Do you have pics of good and bad feet?
thanks Sue

Last edited by Chick Town Farm on Sat May 26, 2012 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total

9...in need of a new rooster Empty Re: ...in need of a new rooster Fri May 25, 2012 8:49 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

On a 5 toed bird, the 4th toe comes forward towards the back of the leg giving the foot the look of a duck's foot.
I have a young houdan that has a real obvious duck foot. His 4th toe literally runs beside his leg pointing straight down towards the ground.

10...in need of a new rooster Empty Re: ...in need of a new rooster Sat May 26, 2012 6:54 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Chick Town Farm wrote:

Sue

Hi Sue, What is a duck-foot in a silkie? I haven't heard of it before. Do you have pics of good and bad feet?
thanks Sue

Chick Town Farm, I am not sure if you were pertaining to duck foot in a silkie or chickens in general. Maybe the silkie as they have five toes, but I think the condition is the same thing in silkies too. If you go to this post https://wcps.canadian-forum.com/t1933-buckeye-rooster-with-duck-foot
Look at response #10 from Coopslave, it shows a picture from the Standard of Perfection of what duck foot looks like. I had this condition show up in one of my buckeye cockerels last summer, he was not used in the breeding group, once I had noticed it. I had never heard of this condition before, and now I know too. I have good pictures that I took of his feet, I have put some of the pictures in this post, but I also will link you to that original post made back fall. https://wcps.canadian-forum.com/t2110-a-buckeye-rooster-with-duckfeet-picture-heavy

Just a whole bunch of information, don’t know if you wanted it, but here it is, smiling that big smile. I can get carried away when I am passionate about something, and duck foot is something that bothered me immensely, sigh. Hopefully it won’t be in further breedings here, but probably will rear its ugly head. It was interesting how the rooster walked (or ran I should say) with this deformity. It causes imbalance issues for surely.
Hope this helps, have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

https://wcps.canadian-forum.com/t1933-buckeye-rooster-with-duck-foot

...in need of a new rooster Buckeyeduckfeet1

...in need of a new rooster Buckeyeduckfeet2

11...in need of a new rooster Empty 5 toe and duckfoot pictures Sun May 27, 2012 11:59 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

I was asked to take a picture of my houdan boys feet to show what a duckfoot looks like.

This is a normal houdan foot showing 5-toes.
...in need of a new rooster Normal

This is a houdan foot that has duck foot. Notice how the 4th toe is pulled towards the leg and points straight down to the ground.
...in need of a new rooster Duckfoot

Hope this helps.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum