Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Buckeye rooster with duck foot

+3
mirycreek
coopslave
CynthiaM
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Buckeye rooster with duck foot Empty Buckeye rooster with duck foot Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:29 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Blah!!! Just what I did not want to find at my place. I have a one year old buckeye rooster that I think has what is called "duck feet". Discussion in a thread recently indicated that this is a disqualification that we should be very aware of in our birds, if you want to keep the nicest birds you can, this is one other thing we must watch for.

I have not yet had the chance, after Sebas mentioned that he may have seen a duck foot condition on one of my young buckeye cockerels, in a thread I had began about the youngsters, with pictures. I said I was out to look and take pictures.

Well, time has come and I have not had the time, nor the weather to get pictures. But I keep looking and looking and never even once thought to have a really good gander at the adult male.

I always thought that he had a funny stance when he ran. He kind of squishes himself kind of down a bit when he runs, I thought it was just a determined look. This is particularly noticeable when he runs after a female, one thought in mind. I thought that he kind of flattened out, this is only a teeny tiny bit, to make himself look more inconspicuous so they don't see him Very Happy , and I thought it looked cool. His brother, rest his soul, did not do this odd kind of running thing. He is gone now to that rooster heaven (remember, he got into mouse bait Shocked ) and died. I never saw this kind of huddle when he ran. It just looked very interesting. But...I think it is the duck foot thing that may make him do it.

Yes.....I will get a picture, yes.....pretty darn sure he has duck foot. I am away this weekend, but hopefully next week will be a good picture taking week, when I have that extra time on my hands. Just trying to ready things for a few days around here is a massive thing for me. I do not travel well. Our journey to the coast is only about 5 hours, but our car will be full of stuff for my siblings and their kids....like apples and home preserves, and a couple of muscovy ducks that (dead of course) that I never got around to cooking in our new life. They will make a lovely soup for my Sister's family, as they are rather old, been in our freezer for nigh onto two years now Razz .

Rats, ramblin', where was I? Right duck foot.

His fourth toe at the back does not stick out straight and down, as that toe should. I think that is why he runs funny, cause he is trying to get good balance, and closer to the ground, the better the balance, I presume.

quote from the Standard of Perfection:

DUCK-FOOT: A condition where the fourth or hind toe is carried forward so as to touch or almost touch the third toe instead of carried backward to touch the ground and ehlp balance the bird; a disqualification, (figure 24)

I have about 8 cockerels that are now 20 weeks old, so have lots to choose from to get a nice rooster for my group, with no duck feet.

This fellow will accompany several other cockerels at the end of November to the processor, gonna make a nice meal. I actually am kind of stoked to see how this one year old dude dresses out. I know his body mass is huge and he is tall and weighs, well, alot, he is heavy, but only time will be the teller of that tale.

So....anyhow, just wanting to put out some observations of what I am seeing. And it has actually kind of shocked me, but it is what it is. He is not in the breeding pool. I would venture to guess that this is a defect with genes and that should not be present, sigh...raised him for a long time, shoulda known about this defect a long time ago, my bad, but still learning, and will one day graduate from that school of hard knocks, smiling. Look at your birds, check out how their back toe is, it should be placed so that the fourth toe gives them balance, look closely. And if you look up on the internet duck foot, you will get lots of stuff about ducks' feet, I couldn't find anything about a condition in chickens about "duck feet", that was a difficult thing to get to find out more about and I still need to know more about it, sigh.

Anyways, just some food for thought and look at your birds closely in many ways if you want to be raising the best that you can, that is a very important thing to think about. Have a wonderful and beautiful day. CynthiaM.

Oh yes, I had every intention to bring this cock bird to the show in November in Armstrong, but he will be fattening up for the pot instead Sad .

2Buckeye rooster with duck foot Empty Re: Buckeye rooster with duck foot Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:00 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I posted in the 'other' place, but I will put it here too.
You certainly do not want to breed something with duck foot! It is a good choice you have made for sure.
This is a real problem in the Indian Game (Dark Cornish) birds in Australia. Very difficult to find one that is not a little duck footed in some of the lines down there.
Good thing you caught it. It feels good to learn new things and then put that knowledge into practise, doesn't it? Very Happy

3Buckeye rooster with duck foot Empty Re: Buckeye rooster with duck foot Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:03 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Coopslave, oh yes, when I noticed that I immediately knew that he would be heading to soup pot hill. I am responsible in many ways, and that just look of his fourth toe shocked the dickens out of me, just never thought to look at him, he looked such good type, nice comb, everything, well, he had improvement in colour of feathers and eyes, so perhaps just a good thing anyways, smiling. Can't wait to see how big he is all dressed up Sad have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

4Buckeye rooster with duck foot Empty Re: Buckeye rooster with duck foot Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:26 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

you know you just never stop learning, thanks for clarifying this and bringing it to everyone's attention, it sucks when it is your own bird that has to be the "learning tool" for everyone else but more knowledge is good and not something I have noticed before either...every bird around here is going to get a good "duck foot test" now.... Laughing

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

5Buckeye rooster with duck foot Empty Re: Buckeye rooster with duck foot Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:23 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sometimes I get very annoyed, it is just my nature. I would imagine that there has not been many responses to this thread because everyone is out there checking out if their birds have the duck foot, fourth foot abnormality that I spoke about. Come on....this is common, from my understanding. I would really like to hear how many are experiencing this incredible phenomon of nature. No comments? This is not understood, pardon my grumpiness, but sometimes I feel well, just "grumpy", yet, I can always wish every single one of us to have a great day tomorrow, a great night tonight and sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite. CynthiaM.

I will always be a learning tool for anyone, for those that wish to take it there. I am on a mission to have the best that I can possibly have, and that means showing an example of how things should be....

6Buckeye rooster with duck foot Empty Re: Buckeye rooster with duck foot Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:53 pm

Sebas49

Sebas49

I'm sorry if I upset people by pointing out defects on your birds, but it's best to learn here then to get disqualified at the shows. With good pictures I can normally tell if a bird has defects.

http://www.c-rducks.com

7Buckeye rooster with duck foot Empty Re: Buckeye rooster with duck foot Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:07 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Let's see that photo Cindy... words only tell so much.

I want to see a smut photo too (the feathers, not the x=rated!)

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

8Buckeye rooster with duck foot Empty Re: Buckeye rooster with duck foot Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:17 pm

cornel

cornel
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

sebas49 i think it is good! if you see something in my pics please inform me, because i have the birds to improve them, not to make it worse by not noticing flaws.

9Buckeye rooster with duck foot Empty Re: Buckeye rooster with duck foot Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:20 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sebas49 wrote:I'm sorry if I upset people by pointing out defects on your birds, but it's best to learn here then to get disqualified at the shows. With good pictures I can normally tell if a bird has defects.

You will never upset me by pointing out something I may have missed. I am often the worst critic of my birds, but the ones I really like, I am sure I miss things on.

10Buckeye rooster with duck foot Empty Re: Buckeye rooster with duck foot Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:28 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

CynthiaM wrote:Sometimes I get very annoyed, it is just my nature. I would imagine that there has not been many responses to this thread because everyone is out there checking out if their birds have the duck foot, fourth foot abnormality that I spoke about. Come on....this is common, from my understanding. I would really like to hear how many are experiencing this incredible phenomon of nature. No comments? This is not understood, pardon my grumpiness, but sometimes I feel well, just "grumpy", yet, I can always wish every single one of us to have a great day tomorrow, a great night tonight and sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite. CynthiaM.

I will always be a learning tool for anyone, for those that wish to take it there. I am on a mission to have the best that I can possibly have, and that means showing an example of how things should be....

I think it may only be common in some breeds and I think it also runs stronger in some lines. I am not very experienced with it and have never seen it in real life, only in pictures. I have also seen pictures of it where the back toe doesn`t even touch the ground and tends to fold a little forward. It doesn`t run beside the third toe like your description, but doesn`t go back like it should.

Here is the SOP picture showing duck foot. I have seen pictures of varying degrees of it and it can look quite different.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by coopslave on Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to add picture)

11Buckeye rooster with duck foot Empty Re: Buckeye rooster with duck foot Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:37 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh, Oh, I think I gave a wrong impression of why I was feeling grumpy. It was not because of the thread about duck foot, it was because no one had replied more to my thread, that was what made me grumpy and I expressed myself. I am the kind of person that if something bothers me, I will make it known....

I think that it is wonderful that we can have people help us to improve our birds, please do not get me wrong. This is one of the most powerful things that a person can have in their life, constructive criticism, from others that "know". Criticism from unreliable sources, well that can go by the wayside.

Sebas49, I value your opinion (s) and I also value Heather's opinion (s). Anyone that chooses to listen to the advice and/or criticism of either of you is going to benefit in many ways. Anyone that does not listen, their choice, but in my opinion, should listen. We are blessed that we have this knowledge of people that have had many years studying how and what the poultry world should look like with regard to defects, good looks, bad looks, we are extremely fortunate. You must be told this.

Do not stop helping anyone that will listen to the words of the wisdom of years in the industry, please, you got me wrong with what I was saying in the last post. This comes with an apology from the bottom of my heart.

Help us Sebas49 (and you too Heather). I personally am striving to listen, and to improve my flocks in the small ways that I can. So thank you Sebas49, keep on keepin on!!! You are a boon to our forum!!

About that duck feet. My rooster (I keep looking at him now in a different way (yummmmeee!!) and I look everytime he is nearby. I don't think his fourth toe is as far forward as the picture that Coopslave put on from the SOP description, but it is pretty close. As said, we are off to the coast for a few days and when I return, I will be out in the chickenyard with camera in tow. I know for certain that none of the other birds I have may have this condition, it is only present in the buckeye pen, and hopefully only this adult dude will have it. He may have played a part in some offspring. His brother did not run funny like him, so I suspect that the dead dude had OK toes. This is a great thread. Keep bringing on comments, Sebas49, please don't stop being who you are, you are important. Have that beautiful and wonderful day, CynthiaM.

12Buckeye rooster with duck foot Empty Re: Buckeye rooster with duck foot Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:51 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

That's very helpful Coopslave - sometimes a drawing is much clearer than a photo!

I believe my Buckeye rooster has one of these as well, but it is very crooked. I will try to post photo.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

13Buckeye rooster with duck foot Empty Re: Buckeye rooster with duck foot Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:55 am

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Cynthia- The ones that we don't want Dead that are are always the best ones for some reason.
The less desirable ones never die of their own accord, not that it isn't painful for any to be dead whether on their own or by our hands. (don't want anyone to think I am heartless)
But it is Murphy's Law.

Have a good trip or as well as you can muster, I travel alot but really am not a good traveller as I always stress about the critters at home and spend a week preparing for a 3 day trip so I feel your pain about travelling.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

14Buckeye rooster with duck foot Empty Re: Buckeye rooster with duck foot Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:08 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well said, Heather, about what lives and what dies, oh well, as it is, such is Murphy's Law for sure. I will have a nice trip, thank you. Yes, it does take me awhile to get things all ready for the leave, and I do stress about things being looked after. I am fortunate though, my Daughter whose property we share, is a mirror image of her mother. She will look after everything almost identically as to how I do, but yes, still worry about things that may come up, smiling. I told her to not let any of the birds free range whilst we were gone, that would make things somewhat easier for her to keep an eye on things (those buckeyes and orpingtons really like to wander in the fields next door on each side, some kind of bug must be emerging (maybe dead grasshoppers, well I think they die in winter)(except I have 1 adult rooster with the 6 youngster buff orpingtons that are thinking that they wanna be bossman, smiling). They have to go into the extra pen that I have from selling off the gold laced wyandottes, knew that pen would come in handy. Oh darn, I am ramblin' off topic before I even know what I am typing. Wish I could stop that thing, but I just can't seem to, sigh. Have a wonderful and great day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum