Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Opinions on an Alberta Feral Horse Cull

+11
Karaandblue
Buff
pigglet
Schipperkesue
newbe enthusiast
heda gobbler
appway
authenticfarm
lady leghorn
Echo 1
Fowler
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Opinions on an Alberta Feral Horse Cull - Page 2 Empty Re: Opinions on an Alberta Feral Horse Cull Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:26 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Buff wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Here somemore info on the wild horse cull

My only problem with this one is, once again, they say horses are not native but I know a lot of people don't agree with me on that one.

I love this interview with ecologist Paul Martin where he lists what he would do for North America basically if he were King of the World. He even admits that most people would disagree with him. Ha

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

People arrested while trying to monitor the cull.

27Opinions on an Alberta Feral Horse Cull - Page 2 Empty Re: Opinions on an Alberta Feral Horse Cull Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:31 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Dumbest statement in that article: “Nobody was tampering with the site,” she said. "We actually weren't even that close to it. But they told us that us being in that vicinity would prevent horses from going into his trap."

Well, NO KIDDING, DUMMY. Even tame horses will refuse to go into a pen if someone is standing in the wrong spot. Are city people really that stupid?

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

28Opinions on an Alberta Feral Horse Cull - Page 2 Empty Re: Opinions on an Alberta Feral Horse Cull Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:41 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

authenticfarm wrote:Dumbest statement in that article: “Nobody was tampering with the site,” she said. "We actually weren't even that close to it. But they told us that us being in that vicinity would prevent horses from going into his trap."

Well, NO KIDDING, DUMMY. Even tame horses will refuse to go into a pen if someone is standing in the wrong spot. Are city people really that stupid?

Stupid like a fox.  That might have been their plan. Laughing

29Opinions on an Alberta Feral Horse Cull - Page 2 Empty Re: Opinions on an Alberta Feral Horse Cull Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:02 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler wrote:Stupid like a fox.  That might have been their plan.  Laughing

And then the cops showed up ......

Sounds like a good story from someone's teenage years. Ha!

30Opinions on an Alberta Feral Horse Cull - Page 2 Empty Re: Opinions on an Alberta Feral Horse Cull Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:21 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Now I keep thinking about the conversation with the police.

"We can't be here? What about over here? Here? Mind if I play my mix tape of horses screaming? What do you mean 'what are you wearing'? I always wear my puma costume to these gatherings..."  Laughing 

31Opinions on an Alberta Feral Horse Cull - Page 2 Empty Re: Opinions on an Alberta Feral Horse Cull Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:50 pm

Buff

Buff

Fowler wrote:
authenticfarm wrote:Dumbest statement in that article: “Nobody was tampering with the site,” she said. "We actually weren't even that close to it. But they told us that us being in that vicinity would prevent horses from going into his trap."

Stupid like a fox.  That might have been their plan.  Laughing
What the fox say.......

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Fowler, I agree with your comment. Smart like a fox. They aren't that stupid, of course they'll be close enough to keep them away. Just close enough.  lol! 

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

lady leghorn wrote:Fowler, I agree with your comment.  Smart like a fox.  They aren't that stupid, of course they'll be close enough to keep them away.  Just close enough.  lol! 

Just close enough to waste tax payers' money and monopolize a police force that could be using their time better elsewhere? Yep.

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well, if the government would have dealt with this properly in the first place, things wouldn't have escalated to this degree. But since they didn't, good old Joe

Public will have to sort it out, as usual. But again, we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

lady leghorn wrote:Well, if the government would have dealt with this properly in the first place, things wouldn't have escalated to this degree.   But since they didn't, good old Joe

Public will have to sort it out, as usual.   But again, we will have to agree to disagree on this one.  

Sorry? Is it the government's fault that people let their horses out (or failed to recover ones that escaped), that those DOMESTIC horses reproduced, and now there's a big problem?

The government is cleaning up after its private citizens, AGAIN, and for once, they're actually doing the logical thing with this cull. They do it in areas with an over population of deer, so hopefully it will work as well on these other four-legged pests.

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

authenticfarm wrote:
lady leghorn wrote:Fowler, I agree with your comment.  Smart like a fox.  They aren't that stupid, of course they'll be close enough to keep them away.  Just close enough.  lol! 

Just close enough to waste tax payers' money and monopolize a police force that could be using their time better elsewhere? Yep.

Actually, if they weren't doing anything, I don't understand why the police had to be involved. But then the article was short on details.

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

They didn't need to be there, period. No one follows the guys who go out and hunt deer every morning all November long.

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Updated

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I just heard a news report on the CBC on my drive home. Apparently the people arrested were trying to bait the horses away from the trap with hay.

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:I just heard a news report on the CBC on my drive home.  Apparently the people arrested were trying to bait the horses away from the trap with hay.

The world is full of stupid people.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

The hay apparently was donated...paid for by an anonymous person in Spain, no less.

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

*snort*

Karaandblue

Karaandblue

double *snort*!!!

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Too bad they wouldn't come and get rid of all the deer running around in Olds, I'm sure other small towns too. They are everywhere. Knocking over bird

feeders to eat the bird feed, eating people's landscaping and running in front of cars early morning and evening's and in the night. This town is crawling with

them. But if they are complaining about the horses running in front of cars, try dealing with deer shooting out of alley's across intersections etc. Nobody says

anything about them? To me they are much more dangerous than the horses. Just my thoughts.

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

They have an annual cull on deer. It's called hunting season.

46Opinions on an Alberta Feral Horse Cull - Page 2 Empty Re: Opinions on an Alberta Feral Horse Cull Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:08 pm

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

lady leghorn wrote:Too bad they wouldn't come and get rid of all the deer running around in Olds, I'm sure other small towns too.  They are everywhere.  Knocking over bird

feeders to eat the bird feed, eating people's landscaping and running in front of cars early morning and evening's and in the night.   This town is crawling with

them.   But if they are complaining about the horses running in front of cars, try dealing with deer shooting out of alley's across intersections etc.  Nobody says

anything about them?     To me they are much more dangerous than the horses.  Just my thoughts.

So it's okay that there is a hunting season for deer (which is fine with me) but culling horses that have become a nuisance isn't? Why is one better then the other? I happen to love deer. I think they are amazing animals but I don't baulk about hunting season. The population gets to large without the yearly cull.

47Opinions on an Alberta Feral Horse Cull - Page 2 Empty Re: Opinions on an Alberta Feral Horse Cull Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:19 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Now I am imagining a hunting season for horses. Hmmm, can of worms, eh?

48Opinions on an Alberta Feral Horse Cull - Page 2 Empty Re: Opinions on an Alberta Feral Horse Cull Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:40 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Now I am imagining a hunting season for horses.  Hmmm, can of worms, eh?

It would be simpler than trying to round them up or get them into traps.

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

If horse numbers were in the thousands (like deer) I could see a hunting season.

Lousy rack though.

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I would love to see open season on coyotes around here..... they wander the streets of our town and follow you when you take the dogs for a walk. I am tired of people saying "They are just trying to feed their pups" Working at the emergency vet hospital for our area I see so many family pets torn apart.....with those pets come devastated families, small children begging us to help their pet. In the grand scheme of things I have to say coyotes are much more of a nuisance than the feral horses are. Just my HO.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum