Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I have opinions! Do you?

+3
coopslave
Country Thyme Farm
Ruffledfeathers
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1I have opinions! Do you? Empty I have opinions! Do you? Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:15 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Okay in the wake of all the messy hurt feelings and postings and erasing of all said postings I have this looming question in my head...

Are/Have we become TOO politcically correct?

I'm by NO means saying we should go back to the days of shock therapy, back of the bus for you but when do you stop. Stop worrying if n's feelings got hurt because you spoke up for what you believe. Made a statement that works for you. Gave an opposing view.

I am pretty sure that most us rode bikes without helmuts.
Ate food off the counter.
Didn't get participation medals and we did keep score of who lost and who won!Because in life there's always a winner and always a loser. If you wanted to win you had to work together and fight for it you had to work. You actually had something to strive for the next practice or season.

We made it this far in the world we must have done something right?

I have to stop here I did something to my keyboard and I have to figure it out ahhhh. It erases with the spacebar when I jump up to correct a spelling Suspect

2I have opinions! Do you? Empty Re: I have opinions! Do you? Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:29 am

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I believe the recent kerfuffle was more an issue of a lack of courtesy and respect from certain individuals. I do not believe courtesy and respect to be about being politically correct, and shouldn't be anything new to anyone young or old.

http://countrythyme.ca

3I have opinions! Do you? Empty Re: I have opinions! Do you? Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:33 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think there are some people that are just rude. They are rude on forums and they are rude in real life. It is usually a pattern that you can see over time. I just try not to be affected or react to the rudeness and usually try to ignore them altogether.

I certainly am not very good at being politically correct, but I try very hard not to be rude. Very Happy

4I have opinions! Do you? Empty Re: I have opinions! Do you? Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:36 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

coopslave wrote:I think there are some people that are just rude. They are rude on forums and they are rude in real life. It is usually a pattern that you can see over time. I just try not to be affected or react to the rudeness and usually try to ignore them altogether.

I certainly am not very good at being politically correct, but I try very hard not to be rude. Very Happy

Well said.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

5I have opinions! Do you? Empty Re: I have opinions! Do you? Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:37 am

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

People are going to become offended or hurt no matter what you say. Myself, there are some posters I avoid their topics because I know what they say I don't agree with. I don't bother to offer an opinion because, as the saying goes, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." I know I can rub people the wrong way so I try not to.

6I have opinions! Do you? Empty Re: I have opinions! Do you? Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:37 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thats not the question though. Its what got me thinking about being PC. I asked do you think in this time in our era are we too politically correct?

I get courtesy and respect and my thoughts on that are separate. I'm not going to say that they don't cross paths. They do but in a different manner.

7I have opinions! Do you? Empty Re: I have opinions! Do you? Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:51 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

The term "Politically Correct" offends me.

I prefer "Bureaucratically Appropriate".

8I have opinions! Do you? Empty Re: I have opinions! Do you? Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:02 am

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Perhaps the two issues are more intertwined than we think. Perhaps political correctness was invented to create a set of rules to guide a society that no longer knows how to be respectful of others who are different from us?

http://countrythyme.ca

9I have opinions! Do you? Empty Re: I have opinions! Do you? Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:57 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes, I think we are too politically correct or, as Fowler says, Bureaucratically Appropriate.

By taking some topics off the table for discussion, by deeming some opinions/views offensive to the public good, it snuffs out dissention. This pushes the people with the unpopular opinions to act louder and more agressively to be heard, which sometimes hurts their cause or sometimes helps it.

There is a skill to voicing an opposing view and it starts with the words "In my opinion...in my experience....I cannot support this view.." Yes, it's all a little limp wristed sounding, but we do it because we are not uncivilized baboonns ripping at an antelope carcass while slashing and biting at each other. CIVIL DISCUSSION implies that we are civil. And we must conduct ourselves accordingly and leave our borderline personality disorders at home. Someone said it, that being faceless behind a computer allows us to act in ways we never would face to face. Cyber bullying.

Like Toybarons...there are some topics that come up that I have to walk away from because there is NO WAY I could post my opinion without offending every single peson on the thread. When you get a room full of people all set to square dance and you show up with your tap shoes, there is going to be discord just because you are the odd man out. No harm intended, but when a bunch of people on the same page have deicded to stay on that page, they are not actually seeking input or discussion, they are seeking affirmation and support. Not all topics are truly being discussed. Some are being petted and loved. It's hard to tell the difference sometimes.

Yes, we are too politically correct and it muzzles many.

10I have opinions! Do you? Empty Re: I have opinions! Do you? Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:07 am

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote:Yes, I think we are too politically correct or, as Fowler says, Bureaucratically Appropriate.

By taking some topics off the table for discussion, by deeming some opinions/views offensive to the public good, it snuffs out dissention. This pushes the people with the unpopular opinions to act louder and more agressively to be heard, which sometimes hurts their cause or sometimes helps it.

There is a skill to voicing an opposing view and it starts with the words "In my opinion...in my experience....I cannot support this view.." Yes, it's all a little limp wristed sounding, but we do it because we are not uncivilized baboonns ripping at an antelope carcass while slashing and biting at each other. CIVIL DISCUSSION implies that we are civil. And we must conduct ourselves accordingly and leave our borderline personality disorders at home. Someone said it, that being faceless behind a computer allows us to act in ways we never would face to face. Cyber bullying.

Like Toybarons...there are some topics that come up that I have to walk away from because there is NO WAY I could post my opinion without offending every single peson on the thread. When you get a room full of people all set to square dance and you show up with your tap shoes, there is going to be discord just because you are the odd man out. No harm intended, but when a bunch of people on the same page have deicded to stay on that page, they are not actually seeking input or discussion, they are seeking affirmation and support. Not all topics are truly being discussed. Some are being petted and loved. It's hard to tell the difference sometimes.

Yes, we are too politically correct and it muzzles many.

Well said.

11I have opinions! Do you? Empty Re: I have opinions! Do you? Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:10 am

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ruffledfeathers wrote:Thats not the question though. Its what got me thinking about being PC. I asked do you think in this time in our era are we too politically correct?

I get courtesy and respect and my thoughts on that are separate. I'm not going to say that they don't cross paths. They do but in a different manner.

I can recall people complaining that the world was becoming too PC back in the 90s. In some ways it is a problem. Then again, in some ways it isn't. I guess it depends on how you feel your rubarb is being rubbed.

12I have opinions! Do you? Empty Re: I have opinions! Do you? Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:12 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

13I have opinions! Do you? Empty Re: I have opinions! Do you? Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:28 pm

I normally have a habit of rehearseing what I want to say and then ask myself how I would take what I want to say ? and if it seems okay then I go ahead and post .I have had the "" Foot In Mouth "" to many times to just jump in ,although I do at times and normally regret it afterwords .Yes we are to politically correct ! we have to accept the fact that ""everyone ""has a right to there opinion and we have to respect that regardless of what we think ! ............."Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts"-Albert Einstein

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."

Nuff said !

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum