Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Incubator opinions

+3
Schipperkesue
coopslave
Bunnymanor
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Incubator opinions Empty Incubator opinions Thu May 10, 2012 12:31 pm

Bunnymanor

Bunnymanor

I am looking to buy an incubator in the very near future, and with so many to choose from I am hoping to get opinions on what everyone's favorites are. Being a first timer, I'm looking for something small to start out...any and all opinions/advice welcome! Smile

2Incubator opinions Empty Re: Incubator opinions Thu May 10, 2012 1:16 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Brinsea products are great and readily available. RCom is another great one, but I don't see them in Canada as much. Both are really reliable and pretty fool proof.
Depends how much you want to spend. There are cheaper ones out there.

3Incubator opinions Empty Re: Incubator opinions Thu May 10, 2012 1:43 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

The biggest Brinsea you can afford. I am already looking for more space than my 190 holds.

4Incubator opinions Empty Re: Incubator opinions Thu May 10, 2012 2:27 pm

Bunnymanor

Bunnymanor

Well I am hoping to only spend around $250, but I for sure don't want to cheap out too much and end up with something that doesn't give good results. I'll have to check out the Brinsea website..

lol..I would so be in trouble if I was hatching out 190 eggs at a time! That is great advice though!

Wonder if my kids would be offended if I sent them to school with an egg taped under each armpit..along with a thermometer and turning instructions. If the temp & humidity drops too much they'll have to do sprints

5Incubator opinions Empty Re: Incubator opinions Thu May 10, 2012 3:06 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Bunnymanor wrote:

Wonder if my kids would be offended if I sent them to school with an egg taped under each armpit..along with a thermometer and turning instructions. If the temp & humidity drops too much they'll have to do sprints

lol!

6Incubator opinions Empty Re: Incubator opinions Thu May 10, 2012 3:23 pm

Bunnymanor wrote:Wonder if my kids would be offended if I sent them to school with an egg taped under each armpit..along with a thermometer and turning instructions. If the temp & humidity drops too much they'll have to do sprints

OMG I was reading this at work and just about snorted chips out my nose!!! lol!

7Incubator opinions Empty Re: Incubator opinions Thu May 10, 2012 3:50 pm

Bunnymanor

Bunnymanor

hahaha...well it was just a thought. Although it would be slow going with only six eggs at a time and considering they are doing track & field in gym class, I'm not sure the teacher would understand them being forbidden to participate in high jump on account of "egg incubation in progress"

8Incubator opinions Empty Re: Incubator opinions Thu May 10, 2012 4:12 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

My vote for that price range is the Brinsea Octagon Eco, we bought one for my daughter for Christmas and she has had excellent hatches in it. I have never sucessfully hatched over 50% on my Aussie spot eggs before but using her Incubator we got an 83% hatch. Her chicken hatch was 100% on the first one and 90% on the second hatch, so pretty good so far with our hatches.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

9Incubator opinions Empty Re: Incubator opinions Thu May 10, 2012 4:32 pm

Bunnymanor

Bunnymanor

I think I'll be putting that one at the top of my list! Sounds like great hatch rates for a really good price. Is hers with or without the egg turner?

10Incubator opinions Empty Re: Incubator opinions Thu May 10, 2012 4:46 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes we opted for the turner and I think that makes a big difference.
If you waited till June maybe Clayton will have a special on them at the sale in Wetaskiwin????

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

11Incubator opinions Empty Re: Incubator opinions Thu May 10, 2012 8:38 pm

Bunnymanor

Bunnymanor

Is there normally some for sale at the Wetaskiwin sale? If there is might be worth it to save on shipping..and if there happens to be any on sale that will just be a bonus.

12Incubator opinions Empty Re: Incubator opinions Tue May 15, 2012 8:05 am

honeysugar02

New Here

Clayton is going to have special on at the Wetaskawin sale and he will be posting on here what he will be bringing!! I contacted him about buying an incubator and he said that he will be there with specials.

13Incubator opinions Empty Incubator Opinion Tue May 22, 2012 8:52 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I just received a Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco with the turning cradle. I wish that we had been able to go for the Advance with the digital readout. I had my husbnad put a hygrometer inside the incubator and it keeps falling down to the bottom (the glue on the back doesn't hold). The digital incubator would be my choice if you can afford it.

14Incubator opinions Empty Re: Incubator opinions Tue May 22, 2012 9:21 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

And I cant say enough about the Hatchmaker, it is the only thing I want to hatch my eggs in from now on!
Just wish it had a small window that opened to take chicks out of instead of having to take the whole top off but otherwise, wow!
Never incubated in it, I think I like the idea of a fan for that to circulate air but maybe i will try it with duck eggs just to see how it does....

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum