Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Some help with opinions and ideas please.

+6
Fowler
KathyS
Schipperkesue
uno
Country Thyme Farm
coopslave
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

You all know about my project birds. The winter hardy dark layers. I am tired of writing all that out every time so lets try to think of a name for them.

Because the origins were Chanteclers and Marans (interesting they both have a French connection), I thought Charan would be an interesting name. No 's' on it unless there is more than one! It wouldn't work as well if I decide to add something else into the mix though.

I thought of the location name like the Sussex and others have, but I don't think Beaverdell is a good name for a bird.... Neutral

I think it should be easy to remember and spell. Anyways, give me some feedback and ideas and maybe we can come up with something that will make my typing easier. Very Happy

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I don't like Charan, just sounds like a cross and I wouldn't want that impression to come across if I was trying to create an actual distinct breed.

No actual ideas, sorry. The buckeye was named for a state icon and the chantecler for the meaning of the name, maybe go along those lines?

http://countrythyme.ca

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

COopslave, please forgive me as I have not been following this project of yours all that closely, although I am aware of it. These questions have no doubt been asked before, but I think the answer will help determine your choice of a name.

Will these birds breed true? Do you know if you cross your (name) with another (name) will they predictably reproduce themselves? Or will your cross go flying off in some unexpected direction?

If you have developed birds that breed true, indeed have developed a 'breed', then I think that should weigh in to choosing a name. IF however what you have developed is a fabulous cross (and there is nothing wrong with that!) then that also should be refelcted in the name.

I think naming something is a serious business. Thought needs to be put into it. A name conveys a message and sometimes, information. So if you have a predictable CROSS, then the name should contain some combination or hint of the original breeds. But if you have managed to make a new breed....the world is your oyster!

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Okay...if it is a breed, or what the heck, even a spanky cross. Something historic, fresh, don't need the name of origin. You are in Beaverdell, Boundary country. Place of rugged landscape and deep snow winters. Blue birds. Winter hardy.

Boundary Blue.

"Well yes there, Neighbour, them that are some of them new fangled chickens developed out of the Boundary country of British Columbia. SOme Australian lady, homesick for the outback, whiled away her time in the frozen north by developing a hardy breed of winter layers with small combs so's they don't freeze plum off every winter! These are some of the first to ever be sold to the public and I sure am impressed! They are called Boundary Blues, or Bo Blue for short. You can keep your Delawares, your RIRs, your LEghorns, but I'm gonna hunker down with my coop full of Boundary Blues. Yes siree Bob!"

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

This is the stuff I am looking for.

I will answer some of Uno's questions first.
At this stage they are a cross. I don't think they will ever be a 'breed' that will be recognised, but I would like to get them stabilised and predictable. That is a long road in the future but for now I would like something to call them. Again, colour is a later thought as I want to get type and comb and production right first, but there will be some blue as I like that colour. Although I like the name Boundary Blue, I don't think I want to limit them that much as far as colour goes.

So really they are much like an Easter Egger at this stage but I hope to have them much more predictable as time goes on. I don't imagine enough interest in breeding will ever get them to a 'breed' but I would like to have a bird that people can get or breed and know they will have a smooth combed, big bodied, good layer for winter that will produce the like.

So far to votes against a blended name. I get it. I like the idea of a regional name but I am not sure what really fits here.
Maybe 'Au Chocolate'. Very Happy

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think a hint that they lay a dark egg in the name might be a good choice from a sales point of view, but I don't have any ideas...yet!

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

too bad Java is already taken. I was thinking of those lovely coffee colored eggs. Hmm... the Rocky Mountain Mocha? hehe
My mind is on my morning coffee, which is still brewing and smells divine...

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

British Columbian Rock? Plymouth Rockies?

Hmmmm, something Northwestern...

Kootenay
Haida
Bella Coola
Cowichan
Okanagan

Maybe just British Columbians.

Might be easier when you have them set and could use some sort of description, "Columbian Reds, Barred Columbians".

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hmmm..... you guys are good. Getting my brain slowly working. There is a lot of mountains and lakes in this area, I may look into some of those names.

KathyS, I actually like Mocha too. At this stage they are black with reddish necks and throats so it seems to fit. Very Happy

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

coopslave wrote:Hmmm..... you guys are good. Getting my brain slowly working. There is a lot of mountains and lakes in this area, I may look into some of those names.

KathyS, I actually like Mocha too. At this stage they are black with reddish necks and throats so it seems to fit. Very Happy

British Columbian Red Necks! lol!

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oops, somewhere I thought I read that the birds will be blue. But my memory is not reliable so I could be way off on that! IN that case then 'blue' is not a great word to use...unless it's to indicate the colour of the thermometer where these birds were developed.

Winter Brown?

Huevos Nordes?

Frozen Nuggets?

Black Breasted Cana Bird?

Nanook Chook?

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Uno, you have one, just look out the window! Laughing

You are right, I am adding blue but would like to keep the blacks as well. See, work in progress. Remember build the barn and then paint it. I am really just getting all the supplies together to build the barn. Very Happy

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Black...

Midnight Sun?

Arctic Darkness?

Polar Night?

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Beings you like Mocha Just call them
Mocha Queens

debbiej

Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Red Rock's are black with red on their chests and necks, Mocha Java sounds like a corny coffee drink from starbucks, Columbian Red sounds like a breed of pot Twisted Evil
You don't want to get like all the crappy cock-a-poo, poo dog names. Designer Dogs sell for mega bucks. Designer Chickens lol! Why Not? BC Blacks

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

Show pride in your efforts and inginuity! Name them after yourself, the originator, Coopslaves!

Um, on the other hand, maybe not...........

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I also like the Beaverdell Blues. Has a nice ring.

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

islandgal99 wrote:I also like the Beaverdell Blues. Has a nice ring.

I think that is what I am suffering from at the moment Islandgal! Rolling Eyes

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am leaning towards Mountain Mocha.

I am happy to hear any other options people may think suit.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum