Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Light bulb rage

+7
authenticfarm
Ruffledfeathers
Schipperkesue
Buff
Sweetened
Fowler
uno
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

51Light bulb rage - Page 3 Empty Re: Light bulb rage Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:39 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I agree with you, Prairie Dog. The creation of heat, to keep us from freezing into solid little Canadian popsicles, is going to have to use energy. Period. But not all of it is created equal.

I feel that coal, had we not dug it p and started burning it, would still be sitting in the ground, happy and buried and maybe even turning into diamonds. Trees on the other hand pop up willy nilly, eventually drop over dead and rot, emitting whatever it is rotten trees emit OR get burned up in naturally occurring fires.

I also like to think that the physical act of WORKING for firewood, of maintaining a fire burning system makes me a little more appreciative and aware of the heat we have. The act of building a fire keeps me grounded to hearth and home, since in essence, I am the fireman. If I'm not here filling the furnace, things get cold. I think when you just flip a switch for heat, you do so with no awareness, no real connection to what it takes to make a house warm in this country. Sure, you pay a bill (we still pay our Hydro bill!) but paying a bill is an act very far removed from falling trees, bucking, loading in a truck, unloading, splitting, stacking, drying, bringing into house, making kindling, cleaning chimney.......

52Light bulb rage - Page 3 Empty Re: Light bulb rage Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:24 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I tried numerous times to post on this thread but my computer is behaving odd, I got 3/4 through a post on four different occasions and my pc would shut off.  eventually decided I was not meant to participate in this one!  Now I'm on my husbands computer and I can say something.  but, probably not much more to add.  I love wood fires (especially efficient ones with huge fireboxes that can be hooked up to a water jacket and cook and heat the house all at the same time) and think that the amount of problem they cause is minimal when one thinks about one volcano exploding and all it does to the atmosphere  -  puts things in perspective and it is a natural occurrence, the earth has to breath and heal itself.  Find myself agreeing with Prairiedog on just about everything he said.  the whole practice of fracking fricking gives me the heebidie jeebidies maurice, that is sofa king bad bad bad.  just like bleeding the earths life blood.  we should stay the heck away from that stuff and it could be done if the ask holes in power would let all the free energy creators have a look in  -  free energy is free so no money for the greedy power guys.  Tesla for one had lots of ideas and general electric bought out patents.  rah.  this is what makes me so mad.  the technology exists but has never been allowed to be used.  ooo, just noticed my lips are pursed and I'm frowning.  Here's something funny though, in 2003 the govt in NZ tried to introduce "fart tax"  -  not really funny now I see it typed.  It didn't get very far.  It is a farming country I guess but what the?  they would have made millions from that one  -  NZ makes money from its farming exports  -  I can buy NZ lamb in buy low.  greedy greedy govt.  every country has one.  

Somewhere way back in this post Sweetened said she "might be a nut job but . . . " and I tried (a few times but computer being strange) to say that in my opinion you most certainly aren't.  What is a nut job is how a government (Japanese in this case but there are more than a few who could easily have done the same and most likely have done equally stupid beyond belief one flew over the cuckoos nest things with nuclear plants) felt it was doable to get away with building a nuclear power plant in the same vicinity as a place on the ring of fire where there are three earth plates moving in on each other.  right there. this astounds me.  this is "not the full quid" behavior, a sheep farm short of a top paddock, the lights are on but no one is home blurk blurk blurk . . . wow.  I didn't realise it but I've been sitting on this all day and it has been building up  -  got my knickers in a knot about it  -   What a Face .  going to have a nice cup of tea and cool down, do a puzzle or something. . . .

53Light bulb rage - Page 3 Empty Re: Light bulb rage Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:32 am

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

You can still buy incandesent bulbs at walmart for 3.00 a package. I recently bought flood lights they were clearing out for 1.25 each. i would stock up cuz they too will disappear.
Geri

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum