Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Come to the Light!

+12
coopslave
toybarons
KathyS
Hillbilly
Hidden River
Schipperkesue
mirycreek
Country Thyme Farm
CynthiaM
Fowler
fuzzylittlefriend
uno
16 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Come to the Light! Empty Come to the Light! Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:39 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Winter is coming. You know it. It's getting dark earlier all the time (poo!).

For years I have done night chores in the dark pinching a flashlight in my armpit as I wrangled bales and opened gates. Awkward and has resulted in several dropped flashlights.

Tonight I put one of those LCD headlamps on. Threw enouhg light that I didn't trip on anything and my hadns were free. And the horses freaked right out and ran to the furthest corners of their pens.

Does anyone else use one of these for winter night chores and how does your livestock react?

2Come to the Light! Empty Re: Come to the Light! Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:43 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My girlfriend at the coast has used one for years. Not sure how her animals 1st reacted but They got used to it.

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

3Come to the Light! Empty Re: Come to the Light! Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:23 am

I have a baseball cap with LEDs in the brim. I don't give a rip what my livestock thinks of it. It makes chores possible at 5:00 on a winter night. *sigh*

4Come to the Light! Empty Re: Come to the Light! Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:56 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I had one. It was great! I really should find it again.

5Come to the Light! Empty Re: Come to the Light! Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:04 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have one. It has gone missing. I think it was my oldest Grandson when he was installing the car stereo with my Husband. Need to get on Grandson's case. Need to find my headlight. My headlight is a wonderful thing to see things in the dark with. I love my headlight, a LED so it is just wonderful. Gotta find my headlight. Maybe in Grandson's bedroom. Weird things get lost in that room of his. Like the tupperware flour and water shaker thing that is used to thicken gravy with. It was lost in there for a long time, so I bet my headlight is in there too. Gotta get my headlight. Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

6Come to the Light! Empty Re: Come to the Light! Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:18 am

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have one somewhere too, loved using it when I knew where it was. Freaked out the donkeys for a little bit but they got used to it quickly enough.

Right now I'm resorting to a little LED flashlight between my teeth, sucha pain. I really should find that headlamp.

http://countrythyme.ca

7Come to the Light! Empty Re: Come to the Light! Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:24 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

i love using one if I want to eprinex hens. At night when they are roosting you can sneak in and dose them all without causing too much fuss at all.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

8Come to the Light! Empty Re: Come to the Light! Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:55 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I use one. It has a red light option which is great for sneaking up on those chickens!

9Come to the Light! Empty Re: Come to the Light! Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:55 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I use mine all the time, seems always something needs to be done in the dark. Usually that is when I catch hens for sales, etc. My animals all do well with it, something they have to get used to but eventually nothing seems to care. Mine has a red lamp on it as well, works well in the hen house, they are not freaked out at all since it is not a bright light, helps for bug checks as night and chicken catching without stress. Smile

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

10Come to the Light! Empty Re: Come to the Light! Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:43 am

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We have several of these. I prefer the 3 LED light ones as they cast more light. Some require 1 battery or two. Obviously 2 are better.
When we first got them years ago, the horses would jump if you looked directly at them, blinding them. They get used to it pretty quickly though, and avoiding blinding them helps hem get used to it more quickly.

11Come to the Light! Empty Re: Come to the Light! Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:09 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Country Thyme Farm wrote:

Right now I'm resorting to a little LED flashlight between my teeth, sucha pain. I really should find that headlamp.

I've done that one too. I just try not to think about all the places where I've probably set that flashlight down.

12Come to the Light! Empty Re: Come to the Light! Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:13 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

What a great idea! I can't believe I haven't given a thought to better alternatives. But I must say, I have pretty much mastered the flashlight-under-the-armpit shuffle. It goes something like this:

Enter coop well after dark, wearing proper attire for the season: Extreme winter weather - the old chore-coat parka, touque, mitts and tall Sorel boots.
All other weather – red soled rubber boots that are a couple sizes too big, old worn plaid insulated shirt and possibly mitts and touque, depending on current temperature.

So, properly geared up for the occasion of egg gathering, enter coop, shuffling along in the meager beam thrown by the rechargeable Mag light that obviously should have been put on the charger after last-evenings’ egg gathering. Trip over threshold in doorway to make elegant and most graceful entrance. (Roosting chickens will squawk with annoyance).

Proceed to first nest and remove mitts, placing them in general area of right arm-pit, while holding egg bucket in left hand. Place flashlight in the general left arm-pit area while reaching into nest with right hand. Let out a surprised yelp as you realize there is a black hen in there completely invisible in the dark. Lose 1 mitten unknowingly. By now, flashlight beam is helpfully shining directly upwards, lighting up the cobwebs on the ceiling of the coop. Re-focus light to shine in general direction desired, while leaning perilously sideways while doubling over to fine-tune the aim towards nest. Light is in correct position when you can see hen glare back at you in a most irritated manner. Remove nice warm eggs and place in bucket. Shuffle along to next nest and place hand into something disgusting. Wipe on shirt tail of plaid chore shirt. While doing this, flashlight should slip out of armpit landing on floor and rolling under roosts, resulting in a few more peeved sounds from the coop residents. Squat down to reach under roost to try to retrieve flashlight. Since it is just out of finger tip reach, do the squat-shuffle under roost and feel something drop from hens above into hair. Shake head vigorously, until almost losing balance. Grab flashlight and do the backward squat shuffle until roost is cleared and it is safe to stand up. This time try jamming flashlight between knees thinking it may work better. Do the knock-kneed shamble to last nest box, not caring anymore what might be in there. Grab last of the eggs and make a hasty retreat out of coop, leaving behind the mitten that you dropped earlier. Once safely back in house, forget to place flashlight back on charger. Tomorrow night will be a whole new adventure.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

13Come to the Light! Empty Re: Come to the Light! Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:26 am

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

I love mine. Whenever I have to treat my birds for crawly critters, my head lamp is wonderful. Especially as the eyesight isn't as good as it used to be seeing small things.

14Come to the Light! Empty Re: Come to the Light! Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:39 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have a headlamp too, love it. The animals all get used to it especially when they learn food usually follows. Very Happy

15Come to the Light! Empty Re: Come to the Light! Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:07 am

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I NEED one of these lights! Where do you find these wonderful creations??

16Come to the Light! Empty Re: Come to the Light! Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:32 am

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I need one as well. I often bang the behind of the last pig going into their shelter at night. The flashlight goes out and I'm left in the dark to find my way through the creek and the battlefield created by 5 snouts.

17Come to the Light! Empty Re: Come to the Light! Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:38 am

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have used them for years. I was first introduced to them for mushing, and quickly began using them elsewhere.

I just got a couple of new ones for this winter. I forget the exact price ($20?) but I got it at Canadian tire. The model I got is prettty cool, it has 6 led (LOADS of light and reaches about 30 feet well) and it has a RED light feature! I would guess that this would be for huntres so they do not spook wildlife. You could go into the coop and not wake up the birds! I dont know wht horses would think about that.
s

18Come to the Light! Empty Re: Come to the Light! Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:40 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have seen them seasonally at Uno's favourite store (Costco), but I got mine for Christmas a couple of years ago. It was a gift request and someone actually listened!!! Very Happy

19Come to the Light! Empty Re: Come to the Light! Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:59 am

I got my baseball cap at Mark's Work Wear House and I'm pretty sure they have head lamps too.

Interestingly, after reading this post yesterday, I was vacuuming out my truck and found my headlamp under the passenger seat. cheers

20Come to the Light! Empty Re: Come to the Light! Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:19 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I like them for some uses but for the most part hate them - they are good for seeing what is directly in the light but the contrast with the rest of the world is so drastic I can't really see what else is going on - I'd rather work by ambient light, however dim, let my eyes get used to the dim light.

I do have lights in my barn and chicken house though, so that really helps

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum