Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kinda interesting ?

+10
bcboy
Schipperkesue
heda gobbler
Ruffledfeathers
Sweetened
CynthiaM
auntieevil
SerJay
rosewood
coopslave
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Kinda interesting ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Kinda interesting ? Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:47 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler wrote:Is it weird that I imagined that portable garage frame covered with netting and full of birds?
For anybody on here NOPE!  Very Happy 

27Kinda interesting ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Kinda interesting ? Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:37 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Ruffledfeathers wrote:
Fowler wrote:Is it weird that I imagined that portable garage frame covered with netting and full of birds?
For anybody on here NOPE!   Very Happy 

when I went to BCKev's place to pick up my 3 and 4 week old chicks they were happily living in his greenhouse :-).  not a plant in sight  -  just a truck load of young chickens.  it was made from wood and old glass windows from memory but seems a greenhouse is an excellent place for chooks

Last edited by Magdelan on Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed some words)

28Kinda interesting ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Kinda interesting ? Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:12 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Fowler that was our first chicken run!  
It worked great for 3yrs but now we just use it as grow out for meaties since we built a nicer bigger coop in front of it.
We had an ancient old coop on the property, we added a broken car shelter completely covered in 1x1 fencing and we had a secure run.  There just wasn't much more we could do to the dark, sinking and ancient coop so built a new one in front of the old one coop and old one gets only a couple months of use now.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

new coop in front

between the barn and coop you can still see the old coop and run behind.  Even with our terrible carpentry the run is on its 4th winter

Magdelan I use our little corrugated plastic green house in Feb/Mar to allow geese to breed, brood and grow little ones.  Then I put in my incubator ducklings to grow out, followed by any ducks that decide they need to be mommies Smile  This year I had 4 cayugas and a cayugaxkhaki decide to hatch babies and successfully raise them all in my greenhouse and raised bed garden area.  At the end of the summer I put turkeys in there to grow out but good grief the mess they made!  With the waterfowl we can start seedlings and have tender plants up on the shelves but young turkeys flopped up on shelves and hubby was NOT impressed.  What they didn't eat they knocked onto the ground and then knocked it around more.

29Kinda interesting ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Kinda interesting ? Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:36 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

SerJay wrote:Fowler that was our first chicken run!  
It worked great for 3yrs but now we just use it as grow out for meaties since we built a nicer bigger coop in front of it.
We had an ancient old coop on the property, we added a broken car shelter completely covered in 1x1 fencing and we had a secure run.  

Can't tell from the picture. Is it like a welded wire 1X1, or is it a netting of some sort?

30Kinda interesting ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Kinda interesting ? Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:40 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Fowler its 4ft 1x1 wire fencing in a 100ft roll I think we used 2+ rolls and sewed it together with wire.  It took us a couple days to get it all sewed up and secure but it worked great.  We wired underneath as well and then brought in some dirt from the horse paddock and covered the wire.  We had a couple of broken poles and we extended them a bit.  The run was just over 30ft so with all poles and not stretched out it would be even more secure.  In wet snow we have get a broom and bang it off.  But it was secure enough that we never closed the coop door and they were secure in the run.  We had a tarp over the first bit by the coop so they had shelter from rain when getting to the water bucket and shade in the summer.

31Kinda interesting ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Kinda interesting ? Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:48 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Excellent! Thank you.

32Kinda interesting ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Kinda interesting ? Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:55 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

SerJay wrote:

Magdelan I use our little corrugated plastic green house in Feb/Mar to allow geese to breed, brood and grow little ones.  Then I put in my incubator ducklings to grow out, followed by any ducks that decide they need to be mommies Smile 

I just love the idea of fowl deciding they need to be mommies.  just love it!  And a nice sheltered environment to do it in :-).   Here is a pic I found today of my hoop netting sheltered run I made for the banty's.  right now there is snow in it because I left the tarp off one night and it snowed :-(.  Still some areas where they can scratch about and I kind of make them get outside by throwing scratch there  -  insist they keep their morale up!  Want to fence the whole area properly and make it so they can really get around but that would mean they don't have the overhead covering  -  really like the idea of those car shelters with netting over the top.  
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

33Kinda interesting ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Kinda interesting ? Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:23 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Great little banty run Smile  If that were up here though it would be completely buried in snow hehe  

My cayuga girls LOVE to be mommies and are great at it.  Broody raised babies aren't as friendly and easy handled as brooder "handled every day" ducklings but I like my girls to raise their own (and some other breeds I sneak in their nests hehe)

34Kinda interesting ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Kinda interesting ? Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:33 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

yeah you guys have been taking the snow load from us for sure. Our ski hill would barely have enough snow on it for operation - my guess there. Had it opened this year. Money short.

broodies broodies broodies. something about nature doing it itself but sometimes I love picking up the chickens. Do you put chickens under ducks?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum