Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Best kinda duck?

+13
Fowler
Arcticsun
steve
SerJay
CynthiaM
viczoe
fuzzylittlefriend
Prairie Chick
Hidden River
smokyriver
cornel
coopslave
Schipperkesue
17 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Best kinda duck? Empty Best kinda duck? Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:49 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Whick duck to you like the best? If you could only keep one, which type would it be?

This is to taunt Coopslave into getting ducks so post your purdiest pictures too!

Aha, Coopslave, caught you looking! I knew you couldn't resist the duck!

2Best kinda duck? Empty Re: Best kinda duck? Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:55 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

You did catch me looking and I just KNEW this was a direct taunt at me. I just knew it!!

Have all the duck talks you want, I am expecting baby chicks in less than 2 weeks. Razz

3Best kinda duck? Empty Re: Best kinda duck? Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:18 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Razz Hahahahahahaha! Razz

Shall I taunt you a second time?

4Best kinda duck? Empty Re: Best kinda duck? Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:50 pm

cornel

cornel
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

calls!!!
here is a pic of a grey call hen. i think it was heathers
Best kinda duck? IMG_3651-Copy
a white call:
Best kinda duck? IMG_3645
calls:Best kinda duck? IMG_0579-Copy

a poor conditioned pastel drake:Best kinda duck? IMG_2916
one of my grey hens:Best kinda duck? IMG_2915

5Best kinda duck? Empty Re: Best kinda duck? Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:06 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I love my muscovies. They are quiet, pretty (at least to me the females are), and awesome bug control. Will post pics of my ducks later

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

6Best kinda duck? Empty Re: Best kinda duck? Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:57 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would have a hard time picking just one breed..But muscovies definately would take top in my flock. They are great broodies, great moms and I really enjoy them.
I really like my aussie spot bantam ducks as well though...and my welsh harlequin...too hard to pick just one.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

7Best kinda duck? Empty Re: Best kinda duck? Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:17 pm

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

My first choice would be the Muscovies, second would be the Saxony.

8Best kinda duck? Empty Re: Best kinda duck? Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:22 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

The nice thing about Muscovies is the males get so big so fast! You can keep your girls and eat your boys at an early age!

9Best kinda duck? Empty Re: Best kinda duck? Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:50 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I love the calls....and bonus so does hubby. He actually admitted that they were kinda neat Very Happy

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

10Best kinda duck? Empty Re: Best kinda duck? Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:18 am

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I am a Indian Runner girl myself(not that I am running much myself with my knee problems these days). They were the first ducks I ever had and I have had them coninuiously for about 25 years now. I had my first pair for almost 13-14 years and we have always kept a flock of whites. Nothing cuter than watching them stand tall like little soldiers running across the yard. They are egg laying machines as a plus. I rarely show mine as they are fairly high strung and don't like the confinement of show pens and people ogggling them. Great birds.

P.S thanks cornel for posting the pic my grey call.
Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

11Best kinda duck? Empty Re: Best kinda duck? Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:44 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh ducks, one day I will have somewhere where I can have ducks. And I think I will have all kinds of ducks. I have only had Muscovy, Rouen and Indian Runner. The runners were too honky and wanted to mate the chickens, the rouens never wanted to lay eggs where they should, had to look for them. My choice of those three were the Muscovy of course. Raised many a brood of babies with 5 ducks to that drake and lots of good food for surely, nice sized for eating and oh so good, with no fat. My choice, for a fat free duck is that breed. I have seen pictures of Heather's pretty grey and white runners and I really think that I would like to have that breed one day, one fine day, and oh the call ducks.....as said, might have to get a few of each, smiling that big smile. have a most beautiful day, CynthiaM.

12Best kinda duck? Empty Re: Best kinda duck? Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:20 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sue how can you choose a favourite duck! Really it's just not possible to choose. I haven't had muscovies or bantam ducks so I can't speak of them.
I LOVE my cayugas they are so pretty, quiet, mellow and we love finding the first black eggs in spring Very Happy Oh and the males are very easy to keep and respectful of the girls but fertility is fantastic.
My khakis are like overcaffienated chattering puddle splashing egg laying machines Very Happy They just never seem to stop doing things they are always busy and crazy bug catchers but the males are escape artists that will mate anything and everything!
My Buffs lay the loveliest huge blue/green eggs that even in an extra large carton you can't close the top. They're busy as well but not nearly as busy as the khakis and the male wasn't too bad about mating everything.
My hubbys Rouen hen is lovely but not a great layer so far and seeing her round self trying to keep up with the other lean ducks is funny so she usually hangs out with the cayugas Very Happy
My welsh harlequins are lovely with those spots and the drakes head is stunning. They're proving to be very good layers and they're busy but quieter than the khakis and the drake hasn't made a pest of himself yet at all.
My hatchery runners were a disappointment because they aren't upright at all Mad But they're busy as well and I am certain I shouldn't have to worry about bugs this spring (if it ever comes) and they're laying pretty well.
Watching them out in the puddles with the melting snow these days brings a smile as I groan pulling on my rubber boots to wade through the slush Laughing

13Best kinda duck? Empty Re: Best kinda duck? Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:52 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh Serjay, you make me want them all!

I bet Coopslave is still watching this thread and secretly drooling!

14Best kinda duck? Empty Re: Best kinda duck? Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:27 pm

steve

steve
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

thats a very hard decision! Very Happy they are all so fun to watch! i will have to pick muscovy! they are very nice looking, even with that turkey like face! LOL and lay huge eggs, and i heard they are wonderful mothers, i will hopefully find that out this summer! but those pictures of those tiny little call ducks are very cute though! Wink LOL

Best kinda duck? DSCN2425

15Best kinda duck? Empty Re: Best kinda duck? Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:21 pm

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

RUBBER!!!

Best kinda duck? Rubber-ducky

16Best kinda duck? Empty Re: Best kinda duck? Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:29 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Rubber Ducky you're the one!
You make bath time lotsa fun!
Rubber Ducky I'm awfully fond of...
Rubber Ducky I'm awfully fond of...
YOU!

17Best kinda duck? Empty Re: Best kinda duck? Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:18 am

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well if you want to bathe with a duck I suggest you stick with the rubber type or your friends won't be standing down wind from you Twisted Evil

18Best kinda duck? Empty Re: Best kinda duck? Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:58 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Just corrected the spelling errors in your song Sue. Very Happy

Runner Ducky you're the one!
You make bird time lotsa fun!
Runner Ducky I'm awfully fond of YOU!

Vo-vo-dee-o!

Runner Duckie, joy of joys,
When I feed you, you make noise,
Runner Duckie you’re my very best friend it’s true

Oh, every day when I, make my way through the muddy
I find a little guy who’s cute and spry, he's my buddy!

Run-a-nun-nubby!

Runner Duckie you’re so fine,
And I’m lucky that you’re mine.
Runner Duckie, I’d love a whole pond of,
Runner Duckie, I’m awfully fond of you!

19Best kinda duck? Empty Re: Best kinda duck? Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:27 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Bravo!

Do Runners actually swim or do they tread water in a vertical sort of way?

20Best kinda duck? Empty Re: Best kinda duck? Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:11 am

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sue, when they are in the water they take on the same postion as any other duck but in a more graceful way.
You should try a pair of Runners and so should Coopslave, I can happily set a few eggs for both of you as they are supreme layers and once you have a pair no other duck will do.
One thing though the males are very "randy" breeders and can out run any duck of any breed trying to avoid the "kiss" of the runner.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

21Best kinda duck? Empty Re: Best kinda duck? Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:36 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

viczoe wrote:
One thing though the males are very "randy" breeders and can out run any duck of any breed trying to avoid the "kiss" of the runner.
Heather

Our black runners could even outrun the chickens Shocked , yes the kiss, the cloaca kiss!! (do ducks have a cloaca, maybe that is poultry only Razz ) Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

22Best kinda duck? Empty Re: Best kinda duck? Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:51 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oooh, Heather, really? I would love some Runners! They look so odd, kind of like tall gentlemen's walking sticks!

What do you say Coopslave? I know you are still following this thread!

Please count me in, Heather!

23Best kinda duck? Empty Re: Best kinda duck? Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:21 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Oooh, Heather, really? I would love some Runners! They look so odd, kind of like tall gentlemen's walking sticks!

What do you say Coopslave? I know you are still following this thread!

Please count me in, Heather!

I responded to this and it got wiped out, do you think that is the universe telling me something???

Yes, Sue, I am still following this thread. It is like driving by a car wreck, I can't help but look. Very Happy

Heather, I have been partial to the runners ever since the first time I saw some blacks and chocolates in Australia.

I am having enough trouble not having enough pens for the chicken stuff I want to do (especially with this new incubator Rolling Eyes ) without adding ducks to the mix! Laughing

24Best kinda duck? Empty Re: Best kinda duck? Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:36 am

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I like them all but especially Shannon's because he is so easy to care for.

25Best kinda duck? Empty Re: Best kinda duck? Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:29 am

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

I really enjoy ducks... hand down my personal favourite are the call ducks.

But I am also a big fan of the Saxony as well as Appleyards

Duckers!!!

Best kinda duck? IMG_1252

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum