Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

more weather coming

+8
bcboy
authenticfarm
newbe enthusiast
lady leghorn
Sweetened
rosewood
Ruffledfeathers
coopslave
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26more weather coming - Page 2 Empty Re: more weather coming Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:30 am

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I used to love ice fishing. Just taking a piece of cardboard big enough to lay one and a sleeping bag big enough to fully cover you head and all. I would lay for hours on the ice fishing that hole. Now, I am petrified of the ice. When and if hubby convinces me to go out on it I have the windows of the truck open all the kids are piled on my knee or as many as possible close to the windows as possible. Lol. The cracking sound scares me, but hubby insists you want to hear the cracking or popping sounds. He said if you don't hear that that is when you need to be scared!! I'm scared no matter what, so guess I am covered! Lol.

As for this weather, I really need to find someplace that does not bounce around for temps like this!! Lol

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

27more weather coming - Page 2 Empty Re: more weather coming Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:00 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hit hard here. Lots of snow and wind. Still snowing. Dug the birds out once and now we have power issues. No power to the outside plugs. All breakers are fine, it is a mystery for sure.
So have to figure something out before tomorrow when the deep freeze hits. Dogs have no heaters at the moment either, not good.

28more weather coming - Page 2 Empty Re: more weather coming Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:06 am

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Do you have one out side plug that has a ground fault plug that is wired to all the outside plugs?
I have seen that before.
I wonder if you have a sub electrical panel that runs electricity for the outdoors?

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

29more weather coming - Page 2 Empty Re: more weather coming Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:11 am

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

No power to the outside plugs. All breakers are fine, it is a mystery for sure.

The outside plugs in newer homes will have GFI protection either at the panel or the first receptacle. Since you have checked the panel breakers, check for tripped GFI breaker in the outside receptacles. The snow may be causing them to trip if there is moisture in the connections between cords.

30more weather coming - Page 2 Empty Re: more weather coming Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:20 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thank, we did check them. There is one GFI that has never worked since we have been here but all the other plugs have worked fine without it. The other GFI outside is working, but the regular plugs are not.
We did find a breaker box in the garage, but they seem garage based for things in the future. Flipped them all just in case.
Very frustrating to have them not working all of a sudden. Snow was what our thoughts were too.
I appreciate any other thoughts on it as we seem to have exhausted ours.

31more weather coming - Page 2 Empty Re: more weather coming Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:38 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

oh Coopslave I hope you can firgure it out. Have gone from laughing at Authenticfarm's and Sweetened's super funny sense of humor about ice fishing to quite sober in the space of time it took me to get to your last post. Feel like a dingbat for not being able to suggest anything useful.

32more weather coming - Page 2 Empty Re: more weather coming Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:18 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

The regular plugs should be daisy chained off the GFI or controlled by a special panel GFI breaker.  That GFI that is not working needs to be replaced.  WE have GFIs here that are 20 years old and working just fine.  On the other hand I have replaced GFIs that were not very old.

33more weather coming - Page 2 Empty Re: more weather coming Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:22 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

coopslave wrote:Thank, we did check them.  There is one GFI that has never worked since we have been here but all the other plugs have worked fine without it.  The other GFI outside is working, but the regular plugs are not.
We did find a breaker box in the garage, but they seem garage based for things in the future.  Flipped them all just in case.
Very frustrating to have them not working all of a sudden.  Snow was what our thoughts were too.
I appreciate any other thoughts on it as we seem to have exhausted ours.
So the one GFI that is not working runs what outlets? Inside the house? Maybe switchout the GFI on the out side to see if it's faulty?
So you have a main electrical box and one sub panel?
Are the breaker in your main and sub panel  labeled for the area of the house they supply power to?
The one that is labeled for the out side is a 15 amp breaker?
Maybe switch out one of the other breakers that work in the box for the out side one to see if it is a faulty breaker?<-----DON'T GET ELECTROCUTED
The connection of the wires in the box for the area that is not working look connected? <-------DON'T GET ELECTROCUTED

34more weather coming - Page 2 Empty Re: more weather coming Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:21 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well I hope everybody is surviving okay. Hope you figure out the power outage coopslave.

The cold snap not supposed to last that long here. Feeling sorry for those out east who are getting hit hard.

35more weather coming - Page 2 Empty Re: more weather coming Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:54 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Crazy weather in New Brunswick. Been raining steady most of the day after we've had several snowstorms and cold over the past 2 weeks. Flash freeze warning overnight. At some point the temp is supposed to drop fast.

36more weather coming - Page 2 Empty Re: more weather coming Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:58 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

We had that flash freeze here too Fowler. I hadn't heard of it before and it isn't very nice!

37more weather coming - Page 2 Empty Re: more weather coming Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:12 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm picturing something like Bugs Bunny with people frozen in mid-stride.

38more weather coming - Page 2 Empty Re: more weather coming Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:43 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler wrote:I'm picturing something like Bugs Bunny with people frozen in mid-stride.

Very, very close! You will see.........

39more weather coming - Page 2 Empty Re: more weather coming Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:41 pm

I was seeing more like someone with their upper body still and their legs moving so fast it just makes a blur. Cartoonish, yes, but please be careful out there.  That all sounds so nasty, dangerous!!

40more weather coming - Page 2 Empty Re: more weather coming Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:03 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Shocked 

41more weather coming - Page 2 Empty Re: more weather coming Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:10 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well we've been flash frozen. Roads aren't too bad but I'm pretty sure it's because of the excellent road crews. I been in places that were terrible.

Going to be a little while getting stuff past this. Had a heck of a time getting the door open to the barn this morning (knob frozen in place) and one door on the car had the mechanism stick so it wouldn't latch again. Took a while but it seems to be working now. I'll have to spread some more salt tonight.

42more weather coming - Page 2 Empty Re: more weather coming Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:23 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh I dislike that kind of weather. Especially when it messes up moving parts, (my) the worst is when you can't even get your door open. Remember flailing arms can help you from falling if they aren't carrying anything  Very Happy 

43more weather coming - Page 2 Empty Re: more weather coming Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:41 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Time to try out those ice grip things for my boots.

44more weather coming - Page 2 Empty Re: more weather coming Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:43 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Has the sun gone to sleep? This was on the BBC news website. It draws connections between the cold weather in northern Europe (I know we aren't there  Wink ) and the lack of activity on the sun, at a time when it should be very active. Little video under 7 minutes long, some interesting thoughts about our climate changes. Posting here because it talks about the potential of colder winters which we have all just experienced. Some more than others, we are having a very mild experience overall, one dip down to -30ish.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum