Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

more weather coming

+8
bcboy
authenticfarm
newbe enthusiast
lady leghorn
Sweetened
rosewood
Ruffledfeathers
coopslave
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1more weather coming Empty more weather coming Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:51 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

It has been very nice here the last little while. We got more snow and I had to shovel probably 3 more inches yesterday, but the temps have been great.

I am hearing lots of snow over the next couple of days followed by lows close to -30C. They are calling for this to happen for a few days. I hope they are right and it is only a few days!!

I know Jan and Feb can be a bit brutal out here, I sure hope the weather is kind to me for the rest of the year!  Wink Very Happy 

2more weather coming Empty Re: more weather coming Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:17 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well I think we are in the same boat coopie. Its snowing again here and we are supposed to drop to at least -20 for at least a week. But I guess I can't whine to loudly cause its not -30. The crap part about all of it is we just got the driveway plowed and the cow trails done and now did I say its snowing again (lol)

3more weather coming Empty Re: more weather coming Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:15 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Plus 1 here and raining this morning with a risk of freezing rain later today. I haven't finished plowing from the last dump. The winch cable broke to lift the plow and put an end to plowing the other day.

4more weather coming Empty Re: more weather coming Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:24 pm

Sweetened

Sweetened
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

We've been parking at the end of our driveway (with the former property owners suspiciously sniffing around it) since it became impassible almost a month ago, and the drifts continue to get bigger and more extensive. The norms for this time of year are usually around -10 during the day and then into the -20s at night. We are WELL below normal, brutally so. What's the saying, in like a lion out like a lamb? Lets hope for an early spring. If it would like to start in February this year, I would kindly oblige.

http://steadfastfarm.wordpress.com/

5more weather coming Empty Re: more weather coming Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:02 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Coop, Hoping we don't get anymore snow for a long time.  affraid  I'm ready for an early spring.

How's your cold? Better I hope. Smile

6more weather coming Empty Re: more weather coming Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:10 pm

newbe enthusiast

newbe enthusiast

+8c right now, 12-20cm of snow overnight. That sounds like wet heavy stuff as tomorrow is supposed to be -2c. Then we get down to -20c..... Oh goody... Burr 

7more weather coming Empty Re: more weather coming Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:13 pm

Sweetened

Sweetened
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

newbe enthusiast wrote:+8c right now, 12-20cm of snow overnight. That sounds like wet heavy stuff as tomorrow is supposed to be -2c. Then we get down to -20c..... Oh goody... Burr 

Igloo snow, here you come. Expecting 5-10cm here, but at -6c it'll turn the roads to ice and the yard to an annoying mess. Maybe the current drifts will act as wind breaks instead of doubling in size.

One can hope, right? RIGHT!? No 

8more weather coming Empty Re: more weather coming Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:24 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sweetened......Too bad the weather is so crappy, you could have gone ice fishing. Out of curiousity, can you ice fish at that river???

9more weather coming Empty Re: more weather coming Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:28 pm

Sweetened

Sweetened
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

lady leghorn wrote:Sweetened......Too bad the weather is so crappy, you could have gone ice fishing.    Out of curiousity, can you ice fish at that river???

Ice fishing is huge here.

10more weather coming Empty Re: more weather coming Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:37 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I don't like the cold, but ice fishing sounds like fun.

11more weather coming Empty Re: more weather coming Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:39 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

lady leghorn wrote:I don't like the cold, but ice fishing sounds like fun.  

As far as I can tell, ice fishing is mostly outdoor drinking with the small chance of catching a fish.

Or maybe they're doing it wrong around here.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

12more weather coming Empty Re: more weather coming Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:40 pm

Sweetened

Sweetened
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

authenticfarm wrote:
lady leghorn wrote:I don't like the cold, but ice fishing sounds like fun.  

As far as I can tell, ice fishing is mostly outdoor drinking with the small chance of catching a fish.

Or maybe they're doing it wrong around here.

LOL, no, seems about right.

Moose really wants to go. I love to fish, but something just seems inherently dangerous to me about being on ice that's less than 4 feet thick. But I'm paranoid and delusional.

13more weather coming Empty Re: more weather coming Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:48 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hot chocolate would be good enough for us. But 4 inches of ice sounds a bit thin to me too. More like a foot of ice, lol.

14more weather coming Empty Re: more weather coming Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:50 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sweetened wrote:Moose really wants to go.  I love to fish, but something just seems inherently dangerous to me about being on ice that's less than 4 feet thick.  But I'm paranoid and delusional.

I have the same feelings about ice fishing. Also, sky diving.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

15more weather coming Empty Re: more weather coming Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:51 pm

Sweetened

Sweetened
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

authenticfarm wrote:I have the same feelings about ice fishing. Also, sky diving.

About once every 4 months, if I had the money on hand, I would jump out of a plane, or at least, go up saying I would. But, generally, I'm safe, because I never have 'skydiving' money on hand Very Happy

16more weather coming Empty Re: more weather coming Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:53 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Ok sky diving really would make me paranoid, don't need that much excitement in my life thanks.   affraid

17more weather coming Empty Re: more weather coming Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:57 pm

newbe enthusiast

newbe enthusiast

If you were to jump out of a plane in -20c to -30c, would you have all your bits (like fingers, toes and nose) when you got to the ground? Question 

18more weather coming Empty Re: more weather coming Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:58 pm

Sweetened

Sweetened
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I think it's probably some random overflow of endorphin's or something, that spurrs the bravery.  I've done some spontaneous stuff like Spelunking and White Water Rafting.  Both deadly.  Would never spelunk again.

I doubt I would have any bits left in this weather. I would maybe shatter (rather than splatter) when I hit the ground!

19more weather coming Empty Re: more weather coming Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:57 pm

Ice fishing is awesome if you have a warm shack , or portable shack , u can sit in them in a tee shirt in - 30 temps ! but we've hit -53 so far already so as they said it's colder then Mars ? Guess they're checking it out so they can deport all us crazies here in Manitoba out there ..........we might actually survive ?? Shocked

20more weather coming Empty Re: more weather coming Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:07 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Some how I have discovered that I'm not as hard core death seeking fun as my youth once thought, hahaha.

I do have to say sweetened I do prefer the shattered to splattered review. And I too have never had 'sky diving' money on hand, whew.

I had the chance once to go ice fishing and it was hard work. We were told that this lake was awesome for ice fishing. Went out there and there was 3ft of snow. Trudge thru that, find spot, dig thru snow, take break. Dig thru more snow, don't find lake, trudge further, send dog out scouting, dog doesn't want to go. Lake must be here, dig thru more snow, no lake, no ice. Wonder is there wrong way to do ice fishing??? Doesn't seem that hard, go for walk to creek another 100ft away, creek barely running. Huh did ice fishing wrong. Nope lake dried up that year. HAH never went ice fishing again. I call that my extreme dog walk.

Kids want to do the ice fishing stuff. Not sure if I want (like you sweetened) to be on the ice.Maybe if I made some of the Krupnik or as I would call it liquid courage  Very Happy 

21more weather coming Empty Re: more weather coming Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:26 pm

We have a lake not too far from my place that is popular for both ice fishing and ice racing. I finally agreed to take my quad out on it when I saw a pickup truck driving around. It was a lot of fun, for sure, but it still made me a little nervous seeing big (frozen) cracks in the ice. But it was really thick.

We have some wet snow today, more coming. Rosewood things sound pretty bad out your way. I hope you have crampons for your boots!

22more weather coming Empty Re: more weather coming Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:54 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

farmchiq wrote:We have a lake not too far from my place that is popular for both ice fishing and ice racing.  I finally agreed to take my quad out on it when I saw a pickup truck driving around.  It was a lot of fun, for sure, but it still made me a little nervous seeing big (frozen) cracks in the ice.  But it was really thick.  

We have some wet snow today, more coming.  Rosewood things sound pretty bad out your way. I hope you have crampons for your boots!

Would that be swan lake???
It was above freezing here today, but the cold snap is in the forecast.

Last edited by bcboy on Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

23more weather coming Empty Re: more weather coming Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:33 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Rosewood things sound pretty bad out your way. I hope you have crampons for your boots!
farmchiq wrote:
The forecast is certainly not good, but it has been a mild day here with some snow melting in the afternoon. The gkids were enjoying being pulled on sleds by the quad this afternoon. There now in pjs and their boots drying in front of the woodstove. We hope the roads aren't too bad tonight as their parents are headed north and south on Highway 5.

24more weather coming Empty Re: more weather coming Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:08 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

For most of today it was hardly raining, but tonight we are getting hard downpours.

25more weather coming Empty Re: more weather coming Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:38 pm

Karaandblue

Karaandblue

Nothing better than a low ceiling and pea soup fog, leading to almost hitting a bull moose tonight on the way home from Authenitic's delicious home cooked meal and scrumptious oatmeal cookies. Usually that means drastic cooling will occur. On the plus side the meal and company was amazing and the hoar frost will be fantastic tomorrow at sunrise!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum