Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is it the WEATHER or what??

+5
Hidden River
Prairie Chick
lanaire-ranching
Susan
chickeesmom
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Is it the WEATHER or what?? Empty Is it the WEATHER or what?? Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:50 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have 40 chicks that need to be in the barn a week ago, but I can't seem to get there pen warmed up, it is staying around 60 about two feet away from the heat lamp. Totally covered and surrounded by heavy plastic with one heat lamp, should I put the second one in? The pen is about 8' by 4'.
I had eggs shipped to me this year, candled and all the air cells are all wacky, and the post office sent them right out to the farm. I was expecting the little notice card and to go pick them up today. Well it was a blizzard all day yesterday, and we didn't get the mail till 8 last night when I went to lock up the barn. By then it was -1, all day it was around +3. But with the wind and snow not sure what the temp was.
Oh by the way, the weather was so miserable, and I had so much to do, it was overwhelming me. So I had a nap, and watched an afternoon movie with Bud!!! And heated up leftovers for supper, today I am on here and have way to much to do.
So that is my rant, I could go on and on about how I need to transplant some tomatoes and get them out to the greenhouse, ( we shovelled and made a trail out there on Wed. today you can't even see it! )
Oh come on everyone, lets all meet somewhere for a coffee and donut! Oh that reminds me I had better get a move on I am sending eggs up to smokyriver this morning and meeting their ride at Timmies, so will sit and enjoy and think of nothing but green thoughts all day.

2Is it the WEATHER or what?? Empty Re: Is it the WEATHER or what?? Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:01 am

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I'm the same boat as you CM. I now have chicks in my living room, downstairs and in the garage. The barn is still too cold. I'm so frustrated. I'm going to do chores and then go back to bed. I can't deal with it today!

3Is it the WEATHER or what?? Empty Re: Is it the WEATHER or what?? Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:55 am

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I am so frustrated and stressed that I can't even rant about it here!

Have fun with your coffee!!! maybe I will try to join you in spirit...

4Is it the WEATHER or what?? Empty Re: Is it the WEATHER or what?? Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:27 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am afraid it looks like we won't be having spring this year.

I had chicks in the basement but DH flipped so i had to put them in the barn, i have a radiant heater in there and they seem to be ok. I did lose one chickie tho and or course it was a lavender D'Uccle roo (which i wanted).

5Is it the WEATHER or what?? Empty Re: Is it the WEATHER or what?? Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:54 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

And here I thought it was just me that was feeling a bit overwhelmed...
I have 7 brooder boxes full of chicks, I have 1 big brooder building full of birds with a small cage for the transisition birds...I have 2 more breeding houses to build to get my birds from the quonsette out and then that is where my started birds will end up going.
I have chicks due to hatch on Sunday for shipment Monday, more eggs to set on Wednesday for Ty's sale, and my new incubator ordered a week ago just got shipped today Evil or Very Mad . Not sure but pretty soon I am going to have to start sitting on some eggs to have enough hatching lol! .
Chickeesmom I wish I could come for that coffee today, run away from all that needs to be done, but nobody else is going to do it so I just can't. (and the 6 hr drive one way is a long way for coffee, LOL).

I am really shocked the post office would send the eggs to a RR box? Seems strange to me...Hopefully they didnt get too chilled and you get some chicks to hatch from them.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

6Is it the WEATHER or what?? Empty Re: Is it the WEATHER or what?? Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:20 pm

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

well if you do change your mind about making that drive for coffee, swing by and pick me up will you???

my day is NOT going any better, so to hell with it. Evil or Very Mad

I'm sitting down to watch a movie with the kids.

7Is it the WEATHER or what?? Empty Re: Is it the WEATHER or what?? Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:37 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yes I am very frustrated lately too. My computer died over 3wks ago and I just got a call that the part they need is backordered with no idea when it could be available! We only have 1 computer so I'm getting pretty grumpy and frustrated. I've had a wicked flu bug the past 10days! Today is the first I see light at the end of fevers and all out miserableness. My son has a birthday in 2wks and omg the yard! Snow is almost all gone but we've had snow since Oct so we'll be spending the entire weekend shoveling "stuff" so we can walk. With so much snow melting in the last couple weeks the muck is horrendous. There is just no way to keep up. The kids change 10times aday. My floors well it's a nightmare with 3happily filthy kids needing to go to the bathroom every 10mins and bringing huge bearlike dogs (who LOVE to roll and lay in muck) up with them AHHH! Oh did I mention we don't have soil our ground is pure clay so boots become moonboots with the kids walking 3inches taller with the clay that's impossible to get off! Since we havent got enough currently snowing again now!! I am so done with winter and muck! I'm dreaming of green grass, warm sunshine and a huge ice cold margarita!!!

8Is it the WEATHER or what?? Empty Re: Is it the WEATHER or what?? Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:39 pm

rbryne

rbryne

Feels like Friday the 13th. We bought a few Narragansett turkeys in
Lloyd as well as a pair of Lady Amherst Pheasants and a couple of
guineas. Put them in a seperate coop that was here and medicated an
dewormed and have planned to keep them there a couple of weeks to be
sure there are no health issues. Woke up this morning to find a
turkey wandering the yard. One window not screened in and they
broke it. You guessed it everybody else home except for our
pheasants. Nowhere to be seen. We live on 10 acres surrounded by
tall dense bush so I doubt we will see them again. That's how the
day started and did not get much better.

9Is it the WEATHER or what?? Empty Re: Is it the WEATHER or what?? Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:27 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think it is definitely the weather!! I have had 3 comps crash within the last 2 months, hit the ditch with my van and pretty much wrecked it, got it fixed enough to drive and then the fan belt broke, just got a new one and replaced it and the water pump pully siezed. I now have eggs sitting in my post office which I was unable to pick up yesterday due to the storm, and could not get today because my van is not running again, and the power was off at the postoffice when my neighbor went to get her mail, so no computer to do the COD payment, and the post mistress's "boss" was there so she could not just send them with me! Mad I have also had 3 of my 5 children sick today, Not fun!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

10Is it the WEATHER or what?? Empty Re: Is it the WEATHER or what?? Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:26 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

that is terrible smokyriver, very sorry to hear allyour troubles and too bad those eggs have to sit over the whole weekend now...

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

11Is it the WEATHER or what?? Empty Re: Is it the WEATHER or what?? Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:17 pm

Wow , I can't believe that much bad stuff can happen to some of you guys. One might suspect that maybe you may not be living right ie like being a serial killer after dark as your second occupation. That would explain why so much bad Carma. Hopefully things will start working out for your good and hopefully you are not a serial killer or I might be your next target for shedding light on your possible activities. Twisted Evil

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum