Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Quilt information requested

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Quilt information requested Empty Quilt information requested Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:23 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Here is a quilt my MIL has.  It is completely hand sewn and is about 40 years old.

She would like to know...

What is the name of the pattern?
How would you suggest cleaning it as it is slightly stained and also needs freshening.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2Quilt information requested Empty Re: Quilt information requested Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:58 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wow.

I am not skilled with pattern recognition, I"d guess, off the top of my head, a Sunbonnet Sue, or some variation of.

As to cleaning. HAND WASH! I hand wash all my quilts, and they are not vintage. The agitation of a machine will be very hard on fragile fabric and thread. If it is stuffed with old style wool, machine washing can lump it up and felt it. This is a hand wash event. (in my opinion)

Fill bathtub with enough lukewarm (not hot!) to cover quilt. Add a very small amount of laundry soap, get on your hands an knees, bend over the edge of the tub and start to squish, squish, squish that quilt. Not squeezing it, but pressing down onto it. You don't want to scrunch up the batting. Smoosh it down into the water. Let it soak. Hope your colours don't bleed! If you are worried, spot test fabrics BEFORE hand, by dabbing at the coloured fabrics with a wet, white cloth. If your wet, white cloth comes away with colour on it, you have a fabric that will run when submerged.

As to the stain...let it soak in the tub for a while, then while still in the water, with a soft cloth or sponge, GENTLY rub the stained area. You can apply a bit more soap to that area if needed. Do NOT scrub the daylights out as you can rough the surface of the fabric and make it look weird. Just gently work at it.

Drain the tub and loosely smoosh the quilt into the high end of the tub and let water run out for a while. You can refill with clear water and rinse if you want, but if you didn't add too much laundry soap, you might not need a second rinse. Use your judgememnt here. THen gather the soaking quilt into a towel and RUN to your washing machine where you stuff it in and SPIN OUT the extra water. Just a quick spin to get the extra water weight out. No rinsing, just spinning.

If you have room to hang the quilt to dry in a warm place, hang it or drape it over furniture. If the quilt seems fairly sturdy and you can set your dryer heat on LOW, tumble it for a bit to get the worst of the water dried out, and then let it hang dry for remainder.

I hand wash all my hand made quilts. Machine agitation will rip out hand stitching. I spin, then hang mine in the sunshine over a rail. But a king size quilt is very heavy when it's wet and I would NOT hang one just by one edge, as in on a clothes line. THat is too much weight strain on one small area of fabric. If your quilt is fragile you have to keep in mind that it's heavy when it's wet and not stress it when you hang it. More support is better if the fabric is worn.

Someone took a lot of time with your quilt. My method of washing is labour intensive, but is done with preservation of the quilt in mind. Note to self, since washing quilts is such a task, DO NOT GET THEM DIRTY! Always use a sheet and make sure it's between you and the quilt! Good luck!

3Quilt information requested Empty Re: Quilt information requested Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:58 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thank-you dearest Uno. I knew you could help my MIL. She is delighted by the speed and volume of your answer!

4Quilt information requested Empty Re: Quilt information requested Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:17 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't have any tips about washing but have to say that is a beautiful quilt

5Quilt information requested Empty Re: Quilt information requested Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:59 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I will pass that on to my MIL! She has plenty of nice things here!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum