Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Quilt thoughts

+3
Echo 1
CynthiaM
uno
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Quilt thoughts Empty Quilt thoughts Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:43 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

With Magdelan in mind, and an invitation to other quilters to throw in their two cents also!

I have made many, many quilts and until recently all of them were quilted by hand.

Hand quilting adds months to complete a project and when I made my first king size quilt, I knew there was no way I could ever get that thing quilted all by myself. I relented and took it to a long arm quilter. I had already spent 9 months piecing the top, it easily would have been that much more hand quilting.

Long arm quilting adds between $100 up to $260 or so to the cost of a quilt, depending on size and other factors. That's on top of the $200 to $300 you've spent on fabric, batting and backing already. SO what you gain in speed with the long arm, you pay for with a more costly project.

To cut corners cost wise, I have started combing thrift stores and Value Village for cotton queen and king flat sheets to use as backing. I can get a sheet, 100% cotton, for $20 or less, as opposed to paying $80 - $120 for yard goods. Then with the yard goods you have to cut and piece and hope the seam is straight and not wobbly and weird looking like mine tend to get. (I've made a LOT of quilts, didn't say I was good at it!)

Now some hard core quilters would never consider using a sheet, especially a used one! Meh, it's the back! Granted, if I'm making some show piece quilt with 900 pieces then I want to have a 'perfect' fabric on the back. But for your average bed quilt, a sheet that has already been washed and preshrunk and is in good shape, works just fine. Who cares if it's not the perfect color, it's the BACK!

However, not all sheets are created equal for this use. You DO NOT want a very fine, high thread count sheet. They are usually smooth and lovely and SLIPPERY and your quilt will slither right off the bed. I used one such sheet and that quilt NEVER stays on the bed. For backing, a slightly coarser, less high count sheet works better because it's a little 'grabbier' fabric and will help keep your quilt in place, on the bed. Leave the 450 thread count for actual use as a sheet, not a quilt back.

A quilt is costly both in time and money. If I use a sheet now and then, it brings the overall cost of the project down, and makes me feel less guilty. Money saved on backing fabric, can be spent on some lovely print for the top of your next quilt!

Keep your eyes peeled for sturdy, not too slippery, neutral coloured cotton sheets. Great penny stretchers for quilters!

2Quilt thoughts Empty Re: Quilt thoughts Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:07 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I doubt I will ever get around to quilting in my lifetime, just too many other things to do, that might be in my next life Smile . I love to hear these quilting threads and read them all. I never realized how costly quilt making was, I knew of the time to make one, but wow, so much money. worth their weight in gold, with the love to make them, the time to make them and the money to make them. Beautiful. Interesting about using a lower thread count so it doesn't slip. I get that for surely. Awesome post Uno, have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

3Quilt thoughts Empty Re: Quilt thoughts Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:56 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

CYnthiaM, you are not the only person who is not aware of the cost of quilting!

Just for you, I dug out the receipts I had for the king quilt I made as a gift a few years back. ALL FABRIC BOUGHT ON SALE! It cost $510 to make and quilt that quilt. A completed king quilt for material costs of $510 is pretty good! And that's getting the labour, my time, for freeeeee.

If a quilter pays themselves even a tidbit for their time, like $2 an hour, that quilt very quickly becomes a $1000 item...at slave wages. (so you can see why I hesitate to give one to someone who sleeps with the dog every at night, as opposed to the occasional cuddle)

Some of the retired lady quilters who travel south of the border buy their cotton in the States for WAY cheaper than we can get it here. Others shop online but have to be very aware that shipping costs can quickly add up and cost just as much as buying at regular price. But if you're buying local expect to pay $15 to $18 a meter.

Finally, not all cotton is created equal. YOu can buy cheaper cotton made in China. DON'T GO THERE! American made cotton is damn fine goods and if you're going to invest the time to make a quilt, you are shooting yourself in the foot to use that thin, wobbly, weak, offshore cotton.

Then there is the batting (filling). Do you want pure cotton? Cotton polyester blend? Bamboo? Wool? Silk? Yes you can get all of those and while none are cheap, some of them would make you clutch your chest and stagger around in shock!

Therefore, if anyone ever gives you a quilt, the true value of it is enormous! There is nothing more heartbreaking than giving a quilt to someone who shrugs, says thanks, and tosses it in a closet. They do not have a CLUE!

4Quilt thoughts Empty Re: Quilt thoughts Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:23 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My Mom still has a wool filled quilt lovingly hand made by my great Grandmother. It is the warmest most snuggly treasure I can think of. I love the wool

5Quilt thoughts Empty Re: Quilt thoughts Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:22 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

many thanks Uno, excellent advice :-). Now I will look at sheets in good shape with a different motive. I just can't stand not having my machine which is at the service place still. It is driving me nuts! Happily I was out this morning and picked up a second hand Pfaff Hobby something or other, does basic stuff including a simple stretch stitch and button hole. Need the foot for that. Might be perfect for my son who will maybe get interested in making his own clothes or at least some cool shorts! I can't wait to get sewing. Was gifted a Bernette serger this morning too so that made my day! Needs a massive clean, I am scared witless of it at this point - thank goodness it has an instruction manual, imagine trying to figure out how to thread it without! Do you use a serger for your quilts Uno?

6Quilt thoughts Empty Quilt thoughts Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:17 pm

cdngoose

New Here

Hi, we have three quilters in my family. Two of us use new flat sheets for backing for some of our quilts. Especially nice for children's quilts that will get much washing.

7Quilt thoughts Empty Quilt thoughts Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:18 pm

cdngoose

New Here

Hi, we have three quilters in my family. Two of us use new flat sheets for backing for some of our quilts. Especially nice for children's quilts that will get much washing.

8Quilt thoughts Empty Quilt thoughts Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:30 pm

cdngoose

New Here

9Quilt thoughts Empty Re: Quilt thoughts Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:33 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Uno, you are doing it all wrong. Isn't the whole idea of quilting to be to take small used pieces of fabric and turn them into something new and beautiful? Old clothing, linen, dresses, etc pieced together to create a new length of fabric suitable for a blanket? Spending $500 for brand new fabric just to cut it into tiny pieces and sew it up again? That is insane! You are compromising the true nature of quilting and should be very ashamed. Hang your head.  No 

10Quilt thoughts Empty Re: Quilt thoughts Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:46 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ba ha ha!

My Grandmother did just that. Went to the thrift store, bought old shirts and dresses, laboriously picked them apart, pressed all those odd shaped pieces, then using templates and scissors cut out all the little pieces she needed. That is how I learned to quilt!

Then I moved into buying lengths of unbleached cotton and batiking my own designs on them. Did you know that wax and a very hot iron plus lots of old newspaper is an extremely flammable combination when you are a distractible teenager with no concept of house fires? I gave that up after 3 hand batiked and dyed quilts.

And then I walked into a fabric store, and the rest, as they say, is enough to make a grown man cry.

Now SUe, I know you are a painter...I assume that you crush berries and minerals with mortar and pestle, mix them with duck poop and egg white to make your own paints? Yes? (pick apart shirts...I don't think so!  Rolling Eyes  )

11Quilt thoughts Empty Re: Quilt thoughts Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:50 pm

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My aunt in Seattle is a quilter - and I will be making two trips down there this year. If we were to figure out a way for you to select fabrics, I could pick them up for you, and then deliver when I'm up that way to pick up/drop off hubs or go to tracking trials.... Smile

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

12Quilt thoughts Empty Re: Quilt thoughts Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:52 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Are you talking to me, Islandgal? Ach! Stop! Do not tempt me! I DO NOT need more fabric! (thanks though, very kind offer)

13Quilt thoughts Empty Re: Quilt thoughts Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:07 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Uno I will send you all my old clothing so you can do quilting the right way. Don't listen to that crazy island girl.

Now if you excuse me, my pot of fabric dye created from local herbs is ready to overflow on the stove.

14Quilt thoughts Empty Re: Quilt thoughts Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:30 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sue and Uno, Ladies you simply make me laugh......

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum