Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Profile information

+6
CynthiaM
Schipperkesue
Fowler
coopslave
KathyS
pops coops
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Profile information Empty Profile information Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:41 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't know why it is a a sore spot with me, I have nothing to hide, it should be mandatory for your location and REAL name in your profile unless you are hiding something, as well as a contact email and phone number. Sounds reasonable and up front to me.

http://www.popscoops.com

2Profile information Empty Re: Profile information Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:46 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well Pops Coops, I do understand what you are saying. But many of us wish to be cautious and as private as possible when dealing with the internet. It isn't just the inconvenience of spam, there are also worries about who might find us or our children using phone numbers and personal information. It is very easy these days to track a person to their front door starting with a phone number. I know it sounds a bit paranoid, but I am sure most peopld are concerned only about privacy and safety, not about hiding something.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

3Profile information Empty Re: Profile information Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:07 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

I understand what you are saying but some profiles list just the province no name no nothing and I do understand what you are saying but a first name and a location other than province gives out very little information, when a person on this site asks me for details and I click on the name and it says nothing except province, it sort of makes me wonder what up.

4Profile information Empty Re: Profile information Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:45 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have to say I like my privacy and I have nothing to hide. I just prefer to have the control over who contacts me and under what circumstances and what they know about me when they do. I share so much about myself here with my opinions and feelings and desires that I think using my name doesn`t really give you anything more 'about' me. I live in a very small town and I list it in my profile. I can`t remember if I have my given name or not in my profile here, but usually I don`t. Just those two pieces of info could find me very quickly as everyone here seems to know my business. Rolling Eyes
I prefer my given name not to be used in the open forum, but I enjoy the personal touch in PMs and emails. I think this comes down to my shyness and also my attachment to my forum name. I feel that I am coopslave here and that gives me the freedom to speak and share what I feel comfortable with in chicken land.
I try to use this with others as well. If they use their name themselves in open forum I will too, if they don't I just use their 'handle'.

5Profile information Empty Re: Profile information Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:49 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

pops coops wrote:I don't know why it is a a sore spot with me, I have nothing to hide, it should be mandatory for your location and REAL name in your profile unless you are hiding something, as well as a contact email and phone number. Sounds reasonable and up front to me.

But I AM hiding something.

I'm hiding my real name and contact information from people who would misuse it.

May not be such an issue with you Pops, you do a lot of online business and your info is out there regardless. Mine, not so much, and I like to keep it that way.

6Profile information Empty Re: Profile information Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:04 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

pops coops wrote:I don't know why it is a a sore spot with me, I have nothing to hide, it should be mandatory for your location and REAL name in your profile unless you are hiding something, as well as a contact email and phone number. Sounds reasonable and up front to me.

Like Fowler I too am also hiding my personal information and when I read other recent posts/arguments here,I am reminded why. Why is it so important that you have more personal information about people you are chatting with?

Sue

7Profile information Empty Re: Profile information Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:38 am

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

It is not that I need more information it would be nice to have a name, even a FIRST name would be nice and a area were you are from, it really is no big deal.

8Profile information Empty Re: Profile information Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:48 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I agree with the comments that Coopslave spent so long to impart to us. I do use my given first name and middle initial of my middle name, but that is only just because I like it, smiling that big smile. I would not ever divulge my surname, just because I am a little shy, I don't want my surname to be "all over the net", and it could be. I am not hiding anything. I like that people know where I live. I do agree with that point, that we should allow our town of residence to be known, I do like that particular personal touch. If someone wants to contact me by email, that is fine and I will respond with my name that I use in my real life, which is Cindi (with an "i"), but I just like to use CynthiaM. I do not give out my address to anyone, unless I have made a relationship with that person that contacts me, for whatever reason to give the address, but it is not a thing that is made public. You will hear lots of comments. I don't think it has anything to do with us "hiding", but just personal choice. Good thread by the way PopsCoops!! Have a wonderful and great day, CynthiaM.

9Profile information Empty Re: Profile information Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:56 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm with Fowler. I lost my wallet last month and that emphasized more than ever the risk we run in having our identities misused and having too much personal information "out there". Also why I steer clear of Facebook etc. I even make an effort not to have a name or telephone number on my website. It is easy enough to find me as it is.

I agree knowing where someone lives (at least what part of the province) is helpful but not necessary.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

10Profile information Empty Re: Profile information Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:03 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, here is a start. I notice there is no place to put your name in your profile, Pops, but you can always sign your name to your posts like I do, or you could add it to the signature paragraph on the bottom. If you want to be more specific about your location, you could always change your location as well.

Sue

11Profile information Empty Re: Profile information Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:23 am

Grandma Art

Grandma Art

me.... well I am Grandma Art!!!...... Need I say more? Everyone knows me by that name because its my name. I am never going to put any more information on line other then what I already have. If anyone wants more information they can ask privately and I will reply if I so choose.....

http://www.sheltiesalberta.com

12Profile information Empty Re: Profile information Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:27 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hmm, coopslave pretty much summed up how I feel too. Although I don’t mind when my first name is used in open forum and I usually sign my pm’s/emails with my name too. I do prefer my last name kept private though. In this age of identify theft I don’t think you can be too careful really...
As for location, I agree it’s nice to have a general idea of where someone is from and to know if buy/sell/trade with that person is possible. Smile

13Profile information Empty Re: Profile information Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:20 pm

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Well, here is a start. I notice there is no place to put your name in your profile, Pops, but you can always sign your name to your posts like I do, or you could add it to the signature paragraph on the bottom. If you want to be more specific about your location, you could always change your location as well.

Sue

This exact same advise was already given to pops when he posted the exact same comment on one of the other chicken sites. The post was removed shortly after without any change to his profile signature. Maybe he has something to hide?! Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum