Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wonderful weather warning

+10
heda gobbler
lady leghorn
CynthiaM
smokyriver
rosewood
SerJay
bigrock
fuzzylittlefriend
Magdelan
Ruffledfeathers
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Wonderful weather warning Empty Wonderful weather warning Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:30 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

NOT  Exclamation 

How luck us BC'ers mostly Prince George, Quesnel, Chilcotin and Williams Lake are in a snowfall warning. Your supposed to be able to look up the PG radar station and see the big green blob that is leaving us with anywhere between 20-40 cm of snow today and tonight.

*insert major sarcastic tone*  cheers 

What going on with the rest of yah's?

2Wonderful weather warning Empty Re: Wonderful weather warning Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:12 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

this time last year I think we had three times as much snow and not so cold overall, didn't have -29 last year, worst it got was probably -20. it's funky different. right now the chooks feel like they are at the beach! well, maybe. -4 out there. light snow happening.

3Wonderful weather warning Empty Re: Wonderful weather warning Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:23 pm

Snowing like crazy out right now but not expected to last or accumulate to any big degree. Positively beach weather at -4.9 degrees at work. Wink

4Wonderful weather warning Empty Re: Wonderful weather warning Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:34 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I wore a bikini yesterday at a balmy -3...joking of course....snowing here like mad....but warmer.

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

5Wonderful weather warning Empty Re: Wonderful weather warning Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:57 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

fuzzylittlefriend wrote:I wore a bikini yesterday at a balmy -3...joking of course....snowing here like mad....but warmer.
that's funny :-). closest I got to a bikini is no gloves on my way to the barn.

6Wonderful weather warning Empty Re: Wonderful weather warning Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:30 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Ya that and no snow pants!

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

7Wonderful weather warning Empty Re: Wonderful weather warning Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:45 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Farmchiq-you must sleep in....we were -12 at our place this am...and it has been snowing ever since..but i am in vernon now working too. I love this weather! just snow (like it is supposed to do)...and fairly cold.....(within 10 degrees of "0")....but not that hairy sticky nose thing that Magdelan complained about.
I have to admit....I am kind of freaked out about my chickens now....please don't let me turn into some neurotic chicken person... I am a member of a facebook group that all of their chickens are their pets. They pay 100's of dollars  Money Throw  for vets, chickens are in the house..they might even have suits for them...i dunno
I have to mix the two groups together now and leave them in the main house for a while. I think our henhouse is too small to have everyone locked in during the day...night is ok and normally they have free run. Hope hubby doesn't have to start planning a new house already  scratch 
New house is 16X12ft and i have 56 birds of various sizes. 3 roosts each 16 ft long.
have to shovel snow when i get home-yippee

8Wonderful weather warning Empty Re: Wonderful weather warning Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:50 pm

bigrock wrote:Farmchiq-you must sleep in....we were -12 at our place this am...and it has been snowing ever since..

Nope, it was cold at home this morning too, but when I posted that I was (and am) at work in Salmon Arm.  It warmed up a lot hey?  Also, your little end of the valley does tend to be a bit colder and more precip in winter than my place. Might not notice it now, but by mid-January you'll see a difference if it's like other years.

9Wonderful weather warning Empty Re: Wonderful weather warning Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:56 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Magdelan wrote:
fuzzylittlefriend wrote:I wore a bikini yesterday at a balmy -3...joking of course....snowing here like mad....but warmer.
that's funny :-).  closest I got to a bikini is no gloves on my way to the barn.  
BAWAHAHA.... way too funny.

10Wonderful weather warning Empty Re: Wonderful weather warning Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:07 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Snowing and snowing and snowing!  It's warmed up and we're getting dumped on.  Took kids to school and stayed in town cause I figured if I went home I'd never get out to pick them up.  I was right plow never came around yet and I got stuck on our road when I stopped to open our gate.  Have a fantastic neighbour who used his tractor and cleared enough for me to get my van into my driveway  cheers   Its insane even Hwys are a mess not sure where plows are but they're not clearing roads.  I've already declared tomorrow a snow day as we're still expecting another 30-40cm.  Done for today so will just wade through snow out to coops and barns tonight and see if I can get tractor out tomorrow in daylight Smile

I am heading outside to relax in the hot tub though so yep bathing suit weather  Razz

11Wonderful weather warning Empty Re: Wonderful weather warning Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:23 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm so jealous of you hot tub people!! I want to sit outside and soak too  Crying or Very sad  in hot water that is.

12Wonderful weather warning Empty Re: Wonderful weather warning Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:34 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Today at 330pm on the way to get the kids at the bus stop
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]

Sitting at the bus stop. Looking out towards the Horsefly road.
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]

So yes its going to be a snow day tomorrow.

13Wonderful weather warning Empty Re: Wonderful weather warning Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:33 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

We had to make a trip through 150 House yesterday. I'm glad we went yesterday rather than today. Highway 24 was icy particularly coming home. We've had a lot of snow today. I miss the hot tub that was here when we first came to this property, although I never donned a bikini while soaking.

14Wonderful weather warning Empty Re: Wonderful weather warning Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:34 pm

Yup, it's hot tub weather here tonight too, but around here there's no talk of bikinis.  Cool 

15Wonderful weather warning Empty Re: Wonderful weather warning Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:07 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

LOL kids thought fluffy new snow meant it was a good idea to dare each other to jump out of the hot tub and run through the fresh snow.  Hehehe they did some screeching when they jumped down and realized snow was up to mid thigh but they ran anyways and when 2 took a tumble into the snow they did some more screeching hehehe  The 8ft or so out to the hot tub over the snow and ice on the deck was enough for me I didn't need to run through snow in my wet bathing suit LOL  

I've got neighbours Farmchiq which I am certain are glad there was bikinis  Wink  Yep tuques and bikinis  Cool

16Wonderful weather warning Empty Re: Wonderful weather warning Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:56 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I wish I had a hot tub, except I would have to share it with my two dogs!! Lol

It is snowing and blowing here. The snowdrift I front of my shop is up to the door handle already and we are expecting snow for the next 2 days!! Hope my cord says plugged in on my coop! I moved all my hens up with my young birds so they had some extra warmth

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

17Wonderful weather warning Empty Re: Wonderful weather warning Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:05 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

We got snow, lots of it and more came down last night, about 2 new inches on our deck. I sweep the snow off our deck constantly, cause I don't like snow on our deck. I am happy that the snow is light and it can be swept with a broom, nothing like wet west coast snow that you kill yourself shoveling cause its so wet and heavy. Like this type of snow, everything is clean in this weather. Except snowballs on dogs. The little dogs absolutely love this snow and play their hearts out, but that means work for me to dry off, oh well. We are close to the river, a different valley than Farmchiq and Bigrock. We get snow, lots and lots. Last year the total accumulation was over 48 inches. This year I think we are going to be there in a very short time. We already have had an accumulation of about 16 inches according to my calender. Husband keeps my chicken coops shovelled and Son-in-Law the road to our home up the property. Two wonderful men, keeping the farm safe and sound in so many ways, we are blessed. Husband also shovels the parking area for cars infront of our home, which is huge, but he does that, and our area is very shallow snow, safe. I like that. I think the winter is going to be long and hard, and I feel much more snow coming. The year we moved here, in 2010, there was not very much snow, and significant snow did not stick until mid January, I remember that. Just frozen, right to the core, oh I was so cold. Now more climatized and it gets better and better, as we learn to cope. Chickens are all OK, they can go out if they want, but I think they prefer to be inside for the most part. Been around -10 each night here, rising to about -7. We had two days of -17 and I did not like that, but only that short time. January is always the cold month, everywhere, cold is more coming. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

18Wonderful weather warning Empty Re: Wonderful weather warning Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:22 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I declared a snow day today.  RCMP continue to tell people to stay home, roads are really bad.  Snow continues to fall and is still pretty light and fluffy but has enough moisture that kids were out building forts Smile  Scout loves to help them play but he ended up with a few snowballs stuck in his leg feathers LOL  
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

10yr old trying to convince the waterfowl to get into their safe area and out of deep snow

10yr old with the pups

Going to be some dampish carpets LOL

19Wonderful weather warning Empty Re: Wonderful weather warning Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:48 pm

What great pictures SerJay! I'm glad you took a snow day. It looks legit!
Your dogs are beautiful. Gorgeous.

20Wonderful weather warning Empty Re: Wonderful weather warning Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:22 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sure hope we don't get anymore here for awhile. Hubby works for the town and they've been working from 4:00 a.m. to 6:00-6:30 every

weekday for the last two weeks as of this Friday, clearing snow in the town. It's just grim.

21Wonderful weather warning Empty Re: Wonderful weather warning Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:19 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

The extreme cold finally moved east - it was supposed to be followed by snow but all we are getting is WIND. Gale force winds out of the south, so warm that it is now at 7 am plus 8C! Amazing what rattles when the wind is this strong.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

22Wonderful weather warning Empty Re: Wonderful weather warning Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:46 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Plus 4 here. This weekend they are calling for -15 again. Welcome to the rollercoaster. 2 tickets please

23Wonderful weather warning Empty Re: Wonderful weather warning Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:02 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I struggle with the roller coaster.....sigh.  I suppose it is better than staying in the -20s.  
We are at 5C right now and headed down to -17C with a low of -25C by Thursday.  The historic average temperatures for this area are -2C to -13C and I would be more than happy for each day to be those temps.  These crazy swings I find very difficult.

24Wonderful weather warning Empty Re: Wonderful weather warning Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:22 am

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I'm still wearing shorts at work...

25Wonderful weather warning Empty Re: Wonderful weather warning Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:57 am

IzzyD

IzzyD

Yes, the roller coaster lol that's funny.
Gonna get up to + 4 tomorrow they say here.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum