Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Meat Birds?-what would you use?

+16
HigginsRAT
bckev
Magdelan
SerJay
Schipperkesue
Piet
fuzzylittlefriend
Swamp Hen
Nom_de_Plume
heda gobbler
bcboy
coopslave
authenticfarm
rosewood
uno
bigrock
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

51Meat Birds?-what would you use? - Page 3 Empty Re: Meat Birds?-what would you use? Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:59 pm

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

bcboy wrote: Re: Meat Birds?-what would you use? Today at 6:33 pm
Hello Call Duck, what part of Canada are you from? Thanks.
Hey from the east coast.

52Meat Birds?-what would you use? - Page 3 Empty Re: Meat Birds?-what would you use? Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:38 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Okay so I'm new to this farm-y thing as well Very Happy 

I have lucked out and had some really truly helpful people teach me some really helpful tips. Along with their teachings, opinions and my own way of learning "hands on". I have raised both MG's and Cornish side by side and personally found that I prefer the MG's carcass because when I process my own birds I can get my hand in there to do "clean" out. They get out there and act like birds, chicken birds Laughing . Most of my weights have been around 4-5lbs. Which works out great for my family. This year I pieced them out and got some great legs and breasts from my group.

On the other side I treat my meaties like I do my layers. With the respect and love that I can provide them as corny as it sounds they are providing me and my family with food and life. I like knowing that I can provide quality of life for them.

I too am going to be trying to do a X between a dark Cornish Roo and some 1st generation MG hens I have. My MG hens are wonderful birds who are now approaching 2 years and I haven't lost 1 to obesity or legs problems. "knock" on wood. They also layer wonderful eggs.

That's my 2 cents.

53Meat Birds?-what would you use? - Page 3 Empty Re: Meat Birds?-what would you use? Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:55 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well..this is great!
I like the idea of the Mistral Gris because they are supposed to be hearty....without being heart attacky..and they do go out and dig in the dirt like a regular bird. I would not be able to raise a bird that didn't go outside...i need to raise them as the animal they are..they need to chase bugs, dig, and make a mess of things.
Someone was complaining..perhaps not..but lamenting the costs of the abbatoire ..and i have to disagree.
I don't care..i would probably even pay more
because, i raise them; these funny little chickens...then i put them in little crates and drive them down the road....at the end of the day i pick up these tidy little packages that have the weights written on them. My husband and i are already far too busy with working full time and getting our farm up and running the way we want it to to spend a day or so butchering birds, burying or burning the entrails and plucking...or borrowing a plucker...ghads..
i am sorry...such a wuss i am-
my friend who is still part owner of this abattoire does not make money...and they should probably charge more.
i look forward to hearing the final weights from you ipf?
i guess the MG grow till they are 3 months old
keep these comments coming..i am learning so much

Higgins...sorry..will learn the quotes some other day...good fast genetic lesson..now will have to go back and re-read the MG info

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum