Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What Do You Feed Your Meat Birds????

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What Do You Feed Your Meat Birds???? Empty What Do You Feed Your Meat Birds???? Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:10 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

2What Do You Feed Your Meat Birds???? Empty Re: What Do You Feed Your Meat Birds???? Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:26 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

There was a good post going about this already, I will have a look for it.

3What Do You Feed Your Meat Birds???? Empty Re: What Do You Feed Your Meat Birds???? Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:29 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

4What Do You Feed Your Meat Birds???? Empty Re: What Do You Feed Your Meat Birds???? Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:03 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

So according to the chart in the link, at 9 weeks the broiler eats a cumulative 18.75 lbs of feed. So if you are solely feeding commercial feed a broiler eats about half a bag with room for spillage. Around here feed is $15-$20 a bag. If you take the high end, that puts cost of production at a minimum of $10. We are of course not counting electricity, bedding, housing or hours of work that goes into producing these birds. This makes a strong case for raising your broilers on a free range or tractored environment sheerly to keep your cost of feed down.

5What Do You Feed Your Meat Birds???? Empty Re: What Do You Feed Your Meat Birds???? Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:25 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanks for the link.Very Happy

Schipperkesue wrote:

So according to the chart in the link, at 9 weeks the broiler eats a cumulative 18.75 lbs of feed.  So if you are solely feeding commercial feed a broiler eats about half a bag with room for spillage.  Around here feed is $15-$20 a bag.  If you take the high end, that puts cost of production at a minimum of $10.  We are of course not counting electricity, bedding, housing or hours of work that goes into producing these birds.  This makes a strong case for raising your broilers on a free range or tractored environment sheerly to keep your cost of feed down.
I have seen you use chicken tractors from Jonny. What feed do you buy? Is it commercial feed, Co-op feed, or do you use grains and then supplement vitamins with water?
Thanks for your time.
Kimball

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

6What Do You Feed Your Meat Birds???? Empty Re: What Do You Feed Your Meat Birds???? Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:59 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I use commercial feed for the young 'uns but when they get older I go to the Warburg Seed Cleaning Coop. There you can buy a bag of mixed screenings for $5 a 40 lb sack. The screenings contain wheat, oats, barley, peas, flax, canola, sunflower seeds and others. To get the protein level up, cat food and meat dust. Meat dust? It is usually free from the butcher. A mixture of meat, fat and bone that collects in the band saw. If meat dust is hard to find I always have a bag of 35% protein supplement just in case, but I am not fond of that because the protein source is usually soya.

7What Do You Feed Your Meat Birds???? Empty What Do You Feed Your Meat Birds???? Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:38 pm

Nom_de_Plume

Nom_de_Plume

I feed my meat birds 18% non-med starter/grower for their whole lives (which is no more than 8weeks)
But they are also on pasture that is planted in a mix of alfalfa and grasses.
They usually dress out averaging about 4.5-5lbs.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum