Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bear meat, anyone?

+9
CynthiaM
Hillbilly
gamestaff
Jonny Anvil
coopslave
Dark Wing Duck
mirycreek
Fowler
uno
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Bear meat, anyone? Empty Bear meat, anyone? Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:05 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Woke this morning to the sound of my chickens outside the bedroom window.

Not good. I locked them in last night.

That #*^@ing bear had been back! He didn't find anything to eat the first time and he didn't find anything in the feeders this time either, despite tossing them around the pen. But he did find and consume all the young birds that were delivered to me (as eggs) from Jonny Anvil!

Yup. My lovingly hatched and much wanted Orpingtons are now a mess or ripped up wire, broken boards, crushed feeder and a few feathers.

I will not feel the least bit bad as this stinking bear eats a bullet. There is NOTHING BUT FORAGE around here this time of year and he has no reason in the world to be ripping his way into a pen where he found nothing to eat the first time!

I am so stinking angry. I have one hell of a mess to clean up and repair and my hoped for birds are gone. What a dirty way to start the day. This bear has now become a problem and my buildings are no doubt going to be torn up nightly until this boy is dead. I am not happy, this bear has other options but leaves me with few.

2Bear meat, anyone? Empty Re: Bear meat, anyone? Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:15 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very sorry Uno. Hope you fix this problem soon.

3Bear meat, anyone? Empty Re: Bear meat, anyone? Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:50 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Nothing but bad there alright, that is tough to take and im sure you are right that he/she will be back nightly now and be more of a pest than ever...
Hope you can get the problem solved but so sorry to hear of the loss and all the mess and fixing you have to deal with now Uno.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

4Bear meat, anyone? Empty Re: Bear meat, anyone? Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:09 am

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Sorry to hear of this Uno!
From the sounds of things, chances are its a sow with cubs. There should be some signs to prove this by the scat left behind. Boars will usually start to head deep into the bush this time of year as the breeding season is slowing down and they will be roaming looking for some last minute action. Non the less, this is a problem bear! It has little or no fear of humans as your sent is all around and it still keeps coming back. The first thing you should do is call the local fish and fur department and let them know what is going on. They will come out and set a trap. They then will most likely dispatch the trouble maker rather than relocating it. If you are lucky, you might catch a few racoons in the trap first! These little brats can most definitely be put out of your misery without any question!
I hope you can get this sorted out soon!

5Bear meat, anyone? Empty Re: Bear meat, anyone? Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:45 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks for the support. The situation is pretty sickening because we go out of our way to NOT attract bears. We take every step to not have to destroy them. Then you get one lazy opportunist who just won't take a fence and locked door as an answer and makes himself a dead bear. Like...grow a brain already!

I wouldn't mind catching a few raccoons either. They are killers too. But to their credit they do not leave behind mass property destruction like a bear does. A bear is an enormously powerful animal! It's hard to comprehend until you've arrived at a pile of broken lumber that used to be a building.

So far, DWD, I think this is a lone bear, a BIG one, because smaller bears go in through the chicken door. This bear is too big to fit through the chicken door and thus has not eaten my entire flock. But he did rip his way through a closed door and two fences to get to Jonny Anvil's chicks. Son of a Bear! I agree with you DWD, I think it's time to call in the men with the big culvert trap.

6Bear meat, anyone? Empty Re: Bear meat, anyone? Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:54 am

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

...And by the way, bear meat is pretty good table fare!

7Bear meat, anyone? Empty Re: Bear meat, anyone? Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:40 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

All I can say is if it has a purple ear tag in its right ear it is the mate to the trouble maker that was here. You are not that far from us in bear miles.

Hope you solve the problem. The guys from Vernon were very good up here, maybe worth a contact.

8Bear meat, anyone? Empty Re: Bear meat, anyone? Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:00 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Bear miles, the rural Canadian version of Air Miles. Hee hee. DWD, I'll call you over for dinner if I throw a little bear steak on the barby. Bleck.

9Bear meat, anyone? Empty Re: Bear meat, anyone? Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:11 pm

A werd of warning here, don't shoot a bear especially a big one unless you know what you are doing. When I lived on the Alaska Hwy Fish and Game officers did tests on various types of guns for use on bears. At a distance of 100 yards only an assault shotgun was able to put 2 shots into a charging grizzly. This problem is compounded by a bears ability to charge up to several hundred yards after being shot in the heart, their blood is highly oxygenated. Play safe and remember to look BEFORE you just walk around corners of buildings.

10Bear meat, anyone? Empty Re: Bear meat, anyone? Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:22 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

ANd the prize goes to DWD who nailed it!

Yes, SHE was back (just now, at 2:00 o'clock) and yes she has a cub! (cute little muffin). Managed to get the dog to see her and he took after her at which point she turned around and charged the dog. He was not expecting this. I think he pooped his pants. He then kept a respectable distance and either barked or licked his butt. I do not think this boy has the vicious bear-hating heart of our last dog, who would chase a bear up a tree and require physical removal even hours later. Last dog was Akita/Bullmastiff. This dog is Poodle/Golden Retriever. Not the heart of a warrior.

Reneggaide, don't worry, I won't be popping any bears with a .22. Have been warned about the foolishness of this approach. Besides, I don't use guns. But I DO look around corners and check behind buildings. Going out to do chores is a stealth operation these days!

Didn't notice any ears tags, Coopslave.

11Bear meat, anyone? Empty Re: Bear meat, anyone? Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:54 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

That's Horrible Uno.... poor chickens.

And poor bear.... Winnie the pain in the butt better watch his rear end Uno's on his tail!

12Bear meat, anyone? Empty Re: Bear meat, anyone? Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:32 pm

Well I don't know if you are talking about a black bear ,if so a 22 will kill it just fine at a reasonable distance ,just shoot it in the head .Once it has tasted the feed it will come back ! Most people don't realize that just because it hasn't killed anything it will all be fine ,but once the feed runs out it's onto the next item on the list ....which in your case it was the young chicks !And please don't argue the point of killing it with a 22 ,they are as easy to kill as a hog ,I know because I have killed enough in my lifetime to know ....and if you ask the natural resourses they will tell you the same thing !!unless they are scared ,in which case they will stretch the truth a mile .Sow or not she will be back and if there is nothing that she can get at easy she will distroy what ever is standing between her and the feed ! she has become used to getting food the easy way ? nothing else to do but get rid of her ,instead of passing her on to someone else .................my thoughts

13Bear meat, anyone? Empty Re: Bear meat, anyone? Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:21 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

She's not a grizzly. But she's not small. I think you have to be a pretty skilled, confident customer with a .22 to kill a bear. I am neither. Hubby does have other rifles, but Hubby is usually not here when bear and I are staring each other down, or I'm discovering mass destruction at the hen pen.

I think you're right Prairie Dog, I'm pretty sure she'll be back. I think this is a conservation call.

14Bear meat, anyone? Empty Re: Bear meat, anyone? Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:00 am

gamestaff

awww, sorry for your loss, but.... BEAR MEAT! whoo hoooo!

http://www.gamestaffstaffords.ca

15Bear meat, anyone? Empty Re: Bear meat, anyone? Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:23 am

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh that wonderful time of the year where the bears are brave, and stupid. OK, so they're just forgetful of my distaste for their visits.

We have a now 4 year old, that has a den not far from our property edge, and of course, makes frequent visits and strolls across the property. My wifes horse freaks right out. It then takes her a week or so to stop staring into the bushes on every trail ride waiting for the big bad bear to jump out and yell OOGILY BOOGILY! at her. She is then a handful, and unpleasant ride.

So, I do my best to discourage his presence. A 170 grain bullet in the tree beside his head the first year convinced him that our place was not on the travellers list of favorite B&B's.
Year 2 was a shot above his head into another tree as he was lumbering up the hill away from me.
2 weeks ago, was a load of 7 1/2's in the ass as he was grazing in the field on some new tender grass.
For all you animal lovers, it was at a distance that would not even penetrate his hide. More like being shot in the ass with one hundred pea shooters at a higher velocity. I won't wound an animal.

We shall see if he takes the hint well this year. He always returns, but at a much safer distance.

Good luck Uno.

16Bear meat, anyone? Empty Re: Bear meat, anyone? Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:43 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Blah!! Note to self, do not give Uno any chicks to keep at her place, smiling that big smile. This is awful, girl, you have had your bad times with your birds and predation and I feel awful for you. time to move off the mountain and build somewhere else, like out near Farmchiq's, open valley. Kidding here too, I know you love the mountain, has so many good things about it Cool . Whatchagonnadogirl? It sounds like you have very strong buildings, but just a very persistent mamma bear, feel sad for this. Things will work out, I know that you will have that come to pass. But still, keep your beautiful chin up, all will be well in the end. With that, have a great and safe day, CynthiaM.

17Bear meat, anyone? Empty Re: Bear meat, anyone? Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:51 am

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I'm not happy that I was correct about it being a sow with young. The reason being is the Fish & Fur fellas are going to probably have to dispatch them all. The problem is that the sow is probably young her self and is teaching her cub(s) how to scrounge for food. That's what bears do. They are opportunists by nature and unfortunately this sow sees your place as an all you can eat KFC buffet!!!

Human sent has already been imprinted as a link to easy food for these trouble makers and relocating them probably won't work. They will travel long distances to find territory with a good food source to call their own and other bears are not usually open to squatters. If they are located to an area that is all good, they now will have to work a bit harder to get their food and they might be a problem to people that might camp in that area.
Relocating is a very hard thing to do. It is not always successful!

With that said, do call the proper authorities to deal with this! Don't try to handle these problem bears on your own! Shooting a bear with a .22cal. or 7-1/2 bird shot is not very ethical. It's very irresponsible and rather stupid! Rolling Eyes

18Bear meat, anyone? Empty Re: Bear meat, anyone? Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:17 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

This situation is very distressing, as I've said, we try everything in our power to NOT attract bears.

Bears are an annual event here on the mountainside, but year before last and this year is the first time I've had bears eat chickens. Always bears, always chickens, but only twice have there been bears eating chickens. And both times it was a sow with cubs.

What I HOPE is that she sees the dog as a threat to her cub so she stays away. In past years, we had young bears looking for an easy meal but they did not want to tangle with a dog and a few dog encounters helped them steer clear of the place. Our current dog is new to bear chasing, yesterday was his first look at a bear! I hope if he gets braver and more bold in his view of bears, that Mama bear will decide our place just isn't worth the hassle. Maybe she will give us a wide berth on her daily travels through the neighbourhood.

She did not come back lastnight. I hope she stays away. If not, yes, a call to the boys in uniform. First thing Monday morning.

19Bear meat, anyone? Empty Re: Bear meat, anyone? Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:50 pm

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Dark Wing Duck wrote:I'm not happy that I was correct about it being a sow with young. The reason being is the Fish & Fur fellas are going to probably have to dispatch them all. The problem is that the sow is probably young her self and is teaching her cub(s) how to scrounge for food. That's what bears do. They are opportunists by nature and unfortunately this sow sees your place as an all you can eat KFC buffet!!!

Human sent has already been imprinted as a link to easy food for these trouble makers and relocating them probably won't work. They will travel long distances to find territory with a good food source to call their own and other bears are not usually open to squatters. If they are located to an area that is all good, they now will have to work a bit harder to get their food and they might be a problem to people that might camp in that area.

With that said, do call the proper authorities to deal with this! Don't try to handle these problem bears on your own! Shooting a bear with a .22cal. or 7-1/2 bird shot is not very ethical. It's very irresponsible and rather stupid! Rolling Eyes

DWD, be nice. No need to criticize another. At the right distance a 7 1/2 shot would be like a rubber bullet used on protesters and at the right distance and in the right spot a .22 Cal long hollow point could kill a bear. Before you were born a person visited the Calgary Zoo (after hours) and took out a Siberian Tiger with one .22 shot to the head. I don't believe he was ever caught. It became a trend for a while. Sometime later another or possibly the same person took out a massive Bull Elk with a Bow and arrow but I believe he was caught trying to take his trophy out of the Calgary Zoo. I think that back then it was as dangerous for animals to live at the Calgary Zoo as it is for animals to live at Uno's today. So sorry UNO for your loss. Hope you can get it taken care of as soon as possible.

20Bear meat, anyone? Empty Re: Bear meat, anyone? Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:15 pm

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Dan Smith wrote:
Dark Wing Duck wrote:I'm not happy that I was correct about it being a sow with young. The reason being is the Fish & Fur fellas are going to probably have to dispatch them all. The problem is that the sow is probably young her self and is teaching her cub(s) how to scrounge for food. That's what bears do. They are opportunists by nature and unfortunately this sow sees your place as an all you can eat KFC buffet!!!

DWD, be nice. No need to criticize another. At the right distance a 7 1/2 shot would be like a rubber bullet used on protesters and at the right distance and in the right spot a .22 Cal long hollow point could kill a bear. Before you were born a person visited the Calgary Zoo (after hours) and took out a Siberian Tiger with one .22 shot to the head. I don't believe he was ever caught. It became a trend for a while. Sometime later another or possibly the same person took out a massive Bull Elk with a Bow and arrow but I believe he was caught trying to take his trophy out of the Calgary Zoo. I think that back then it was as dangerous for animals to live at the Calgary Zoo as it is for animals to live at Uno's today. So sorry UNO for your loss. Hope you can get it taken care of as soon as possible.

First off Dan, don't play "Goody Two Shoes" with me and tell me to be nice! Coming from the guy who can call other people names and thinks it's alright because he is now a mod!?!?! Don't even go there!!!

I'm not going to get in to a discussion about ballistics coefficients and shot placement with someone who clearly doesn't know. If you think that shooting a large "wild" animal with an inadequate firearm is acceptable than you are obviously not as intelligent as I thought!!!

If delivered correctly, a stick to the pumpkin can be deadly, but that too isn't a very smart weapon of choice!!

Also, what if one of those stray 7-1/2 shot had hit that bear in the eye? Just like a rubber bullet, it might eventually lead to a slow death. Rolling Eyes

21Bear meat, anyone? Empty Re: Bear meat, anyone? Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:25 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Just to calm any frayed nerves, I personally will not be pointing any loaded weapons at any bears, no matter how large or how small the calibre. HOWEVER, let the record clearly show that I CAN kill a pumpkin with a stick! Oh yeah, deadly to pumpkins! Let all the local pumpkins be warned...expect an ass-whoppin at Uno's!

22Bear meat, anyone? Empty Re: Bear meat, anyone? Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:32 pm

pluckylady

pluckylady

uno wrote:ANd the prize goes to DWD who nailed it!

Yes, SHE was back (just now, at 2:00 o'clock) and yes she has a cub! (cute little muffin). Managed to get the dog to see her and he took after her at which point she turned around and charged the dog. He was not expecting this. I think he pooped his pants. He then kept a respectable distance and either barked or licked his butt. I do not think this boy has the vicious bear-hating heart of our last dog, who would chase a bear up a tree and require physical removal even hours later. Last dog was Akita/Bullmastiff. This dog is Poodle/Golden Retriever. Not the heart of a warrior.

OMG! I think you need another Akita/Bullmastiff UNO!
Sorry about your loss, sad.

Reneggaide, don't worry, I won't be popping any bears with a .22. Have been warned about the foolishness of this approach. Besides, I don't use guns. But I DO look around corners and check behind buildings. Going out to do chores is a stealth operation these days!

Didn't notice any ears tags, Coopslave.

23Bear meat, anyone? Empty Re: Bear meat, anyone? Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:58 pm

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Dark Wing Duck wrote:
Dan Smith wrote:

First off Dan, don't play "Goody Two Shoes" with me and tell me to be nice! Coming from the guy who can call other people names and thinks it's alright because he is now a mod!?!?! Don't even go there!!!

I'm not going to get in to a discussion about ballistics coefficients and shot placement with someone who clearly doesn't know. If you think that shooting a large "wild" animal with an inadequate firearm is acceptable than you are obviously not as intelligent as I thought!!!

If delivered correctly, a stick to the pumpkin can be deadly, but that too isn't a very smart weapon of choice!!

Also, what if one of those stray 7-1/2 shot had hit that bear in the eye? Just like a rubber bullet, it might eventually lead to a slow death. Rolling Eyes

Heh Darcy, You are taking this way too serious. Please don't make false accusations about me. Show me where I called other forum members names. You can't because I didn't . I didn't say that shooting a large wild animal with an inadequate firearm is acceptable but thanks for putting words in my mouth. I said that a .22 long riffle hollow point at the right distance and in the right spot could ( not would ) kill a bear. I may not be as intelligent as you are but I am wise enough to know not to attack others. When I said be nice I was not saying it in a mean spirited way only lets play nice and not criticize others who have a different opinion. As you know we have met on more than one occasion and I think that you are a great guy with some great ideas but please don't think that I am attacking you and try to refrain from doing it to others.

24Bear meat, anyone? Empty Re: Bear meat, anyone? Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:33 pm

pluckylady

pluckylady

[quote="Dan Smith"]
Dark Wing Duck wrote:
Dan Smith wrote:

With that said, do call the proper authorities to deal with this! Don't try to handle these problem bears on your own! Shooting a bear with a .22cal. or 7-1/2 bird shot is not very ethical. It's very irresponsible and rather stupid! Rolling Eyes [/quote.

Heh Darcy, You are taking this way too serious. Please don't make false accusations about me. Show me where I called other forum members names. You can't because I didn't . I didn't say that shooting a large wild animal with an inadequate firearm is acceptable but thanks for putting words in my mouth. I said that a .22 long riffle hollow point at the right distance and in the right spot could ( not would ) kill a bear. I may not be as intelligent as you are but I am wise enough to know not to attack others. When I said be nice I was not saying it in a mean spirited way only lets play nice and not criticize others who have a different opinion. As you know we have met on more than one occasion and I think that you are a great guy with some great ideas but please don't think that I am attacking you and try to refrain from doing it to others.

Last edited by pluckylady on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

25Bear meat, anyone? Empty Re: Bear meat, anyone? Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:14 pm

..........................................Check your ballistic's buddy ! A 22 will kill anything in this country if placed in the right place !! Anyone who knows guns in the least bit will tell you that it is very efficant in killing animals as it has for more years then any of us have lived !.I wouldn't approach a threatened bear with a 22 ,but if it's unaware of me and I can put one into the head in a reasonable distance ,well what can you say ? dead as a door knob .I also said I didn't want to get into a argument with someone who might think differantly then I do .........if you don't feel comfortable with useing one then don't ! your choice ,but don't try telling me that a head shot leads to a injured bear 22 or shotgun ! I've put enough of them down over the years that you can't tell me other wise .Most "" hunters "" shoot for the lungs for the simple reason that they want the head ( skull ) for scoreing and a lung shoot bear can survive ! enough stories about them getting away to live another day .So please ,if you want to argue your point do it to my face ,otherwise lets take it as it was ........a comment !

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum