Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Salt the meat, yes or no?

+3
authenticfarm
appway
uno
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Salt the meat, yes or no? Empty Salt the meat, yes or no? Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:22 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Watching a cooking show. Chef has two slabs of meat on the table and is artistically sprinkling on salt and pepper with a flourish.

My mother salted and peppered the meat prior to cooking.

I do not. Here's why.

You can kill a slug or bloodsucker by pouring salt on it. Salt SUCKS OUT the moisture, rendering the moist critter, dead. You can clean a raw egg off the floor by sprinkling a liberal amount of salt on it and letting the white solid up a bit, because the salt SUCKS OUT some of the moisture in the white.

So. If I want my meat moist, do I want to add something that we know DRAWS MOISTURE OUT of whatever it touches? Knowing the action of salt, it has always seemed insane to me that we add it to raw meat. Salt adds nothing to any dish in the raw state, in my opinion. Salt is a fine addition for seasoning after a dish is cooked. But before? When I saw a slug shrivel and die under the onslaught of salt, that was the LAST time I added it to any raw meat I cook.

Besides, adding it after, or at table, allows this particular element to be controlled by the individual diner. Husband salts everything before he even tastes it :habit. I taste first and salt gingerly :high blood pressure. I suggest that salting raw meat is a habit and belief we have, but is not based in very good observation of the realities of salt and moisture.

2Salt the meat, yes or no? Empty Re: Salt the meat, yes or no? Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:33 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Here is a Good page on it
I always salt before it is put in the Pan in fact I always season before and then after it is cooked some
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

3Salt the meat, yes or no? Empty Re: Salt the meat, yes or no? Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:51 pm

? Never thought about it that way ?  do use a seasoning salt for flavour  so  guess it contains a certain amount of salt in it along with the spices/peppers  ? In my wild meat I use less salt ,more pepper ? seems to draw out that flavour that only wild meat has in it . I would question though if the small amount of salt put onto a slab of meat would have the effect that you mention ? It is after all just salted , not pickled in salt ,mummified is excessive , a sprinkle is just that

4Salt the meat, yes or no? Empty Re: Salt the meat, yes or no? Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:14 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. If the meat is not home-grown, I usually do, since grocery store meat lacks flavour.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

5Salt the meat, yes or no? Empty Re: Salt the meat, yes or no? Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:21 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

How is brining a turkey rationalized, then?

6Salt the meat, yes or no? Empty Re: Salt the meat, yes or no? Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:33 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would never rationalize braining a turkey.

Wait.

You said brining.

Never mind.

7Salt the meat, yes or no? Empty Re: Salt the meat, yes or no? Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:37 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

I only salt after I turn my steaks and hamburgers once so that side is already seared. And I do do it to avoid drawing out the juices. I put peppet and other spiced right away though. Roasts and such I salt first although probably it would be better to sear the roast first and then salt.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

8Salt the meat, yes or no? Empty Re: Salt the meat, yes or no? Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:51 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thank you Miry! Another who feels that drawing out juices, no matter how slight, is a risk one takes when salting the meat before cooking.

Now, let's talk about the risks of running with scissors, while NOT wearing a helmet!

9Salt the meat, yes or no? Empty Re: Salt the meat, yes or no? Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:44 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I used to think the same thing. I was told it is only true if the salt is not added immediately before cooking. If salted and then it sits, bad, salted and cooked right away, good.

10Salt the meat, yes or no? Empty Re: Salt the meat, yes or no? Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:28 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I always season my steak then leave it out for a couple hours on the counter. Here is an explanation of the reasoning...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

11Salt the meat, yes or no? Empty Re: Salt the meat, yes or no? Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:58 am

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I don't salt or pepper anything I'm cooking for anyone else.
For myself, I rarely use salt. I put it on corn. Yep, just corn.

12Salt the meat, yes or no? Empty Re: Salt the meat, yes or no? Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:19 am

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

For those that dont like using salt here is a recipe for a salt substitute

1 tsp chili powder
2 tsp ground oregano
2 tsp black pepper
1 T Garlic powder
2 T Dry Mustard
6 T Onion Powder
3 T Paprika
1 T Rubbed Sage
Mix well together and put in shaker and use
store in a Dry place I also put a few rice kernels in shaker
I use salt but I also use this as a seasoning

13Salt the meat, yes or no? Empty Re: Salt the meat, yes or no? Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:37 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I suppose I should say I don't use salt per say, but Montreal Steak Spice and I am sure there is salt in there.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum