Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Introducing the new digs. (lots of photos)

+16
CynthiaM
heda gobbler
ChickenTeam
Hidden River
uno
bigrock
k.r.l
lanaire-ranching
HigginsRAT
KathyS
Schipperkesue
islandgal99
Magdelan
authenticfarm
lady leghorn
coopslave
20 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Introducing the new digs. (lots of photos) Empty Introducing the new digs. (lots of photos) Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:29 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, here is where we live now.

First the house. Very lucky to have such a nice place provided with Hubbies job. Very lucky indeed.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I really like the big windows and open concept. No kids so nice to be able to be in other 'rooms' and still talk.

Coop put in place. All the pens aren't up yet. Might have them finished tomorrow. Been a bit to sick but feeling better now. Would like to try and get some paint on it before winter as well. Will talk to the owners and see what colour they would like it to be. I can always repaint if we move somewhere else.

Inside.
Girls:

Boys:

Pop doors. CynthiaM was right, lots of room for my big butted girls. Haven't tried the guys yet though.

Cool vents on the back side of the coop.
Open:

Closed:

You can vary the degree of openness too.

Views to the East:

West (great view of the Rockies not sure if you will see them though in the photo):

South down the drive, off the front porch:

Then just some sticky beaks that can't mind their own business!!! Laughing 

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Coopslave, Lovely house, you are very lucky. Maybe the other job got bad because you had this waiting in the wings for you?

Your coop and the girls look great. Although you may want to insulate inside as well. Gets darn cold out here. Brrrrr.

You are very lucky the weather has held for you. Good Luck in your new location. cheers 

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks for the insulation advice, going to try without.  This is what I want these breed for, so we will see.  If they are protected from the wind and damp, I think they will be ok. Going to deep litter and try to keep the water outside. Will be easy enough to insulate in the future.

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

What a gorgeous spot! Lucky girl!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oooooooo so cool to see where you landed! Niiice new digs for both you and the chooks, very very nice :-). It looks like the Ritz. In my minds eye of where you live now I had included a couple more trees and the grass was green (could just be the wrong season methinks) but otherwise, not too far off. There are those Rockies too. It definitely looks windswept and interesting. My eyebrows are hurting a little just thinking about what the wind might do on a chillin day but get that anywhere eh in Canada in the winter unless you live in a mine shaft.

Thank you for showing. Beauty coops, will make slaving not such a drag and on cool days/nights if you do like . . . who was it who drinks whiskey in their coops at night with the chooks? . . . well I thought I might try that myself . . . warm up the chest while communing with the feathery comrades, no drafts in those roosts. Flash vents. gads. a new wave of coop envy is gripping at me Twisted Evil 

gracias Coopslave :-)

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

OMG - what a beautiful place. It seems like you won the lottery with this job!!!

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Beautiful place! Hope you have a snow plow!

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Beautiful new homes, both for the people and chickens. Im sure this was a big change for you, but I hope it starts to feel like home soon. Smile 

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

everything looks so amazing!!

and I swear I have seen that house Very Happy !! might have to bring you over some welcoming goodies ♥️

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Great looking Setup! Some day I might have to come for a visit!

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Party at coopslave's!

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Coop-how far apart are your roosts from each other...looks like about a foot...we have to put ours up next week....just checking
Great looking place...wide open..and exposed; hope the wind is not too nasty for your crew

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

COop, my heart missed a beat and tears welled up when I saw your pics. I long for the prairie something fierce. What a beautiful place you live.

Oh, Magdalan, it's me who drinks whisky in the hen house. But it's mixed with homeopathic remedies so it's not really drinking. It's therapeutic. Very Happy 

Coop, I hope you love it there, and I hope all things are better for you and HUb!

Last edited by uno on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

uno wrote:

Oh, Magdalan, it's me who drinks whisky in the hen house. But it's mixed with homeopathic remedies so it's not really drinking. It's therapeutic. Very Happy 
I like that, "medicinal" - always therapeutic Cool 

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

HigginsRAT wrote:The proper term is "house warming" not "party!"  Pinkies up and all now.  You bring her a house present like a plant (preferably an aloe vera for the next time she boils eggs on her new stove).  Twisted Evil 
Plant?? I was going to give her a Texas Mickey of my home-brewed honey vodka ...

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Beautiful place Coopslave. And I am so happy you are closer to me now, I just love these two coopers I have and NEED some more come spring. Smile

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks everyone. It is nice and just sorta starting to feel like home. Felt like I was visiting someone else at first.
Am going to try to get the rest of the pens up and the shade cloth done. I think I will race back to BC and get the horses. They are calling for SNOW on Sunday so maybe leave Friday and back Saturday.
Hidden, how are your Coopers laying? Are the eggs a good colour? What do their combs look like? I am interested in all the feed back I can get. Still want to 'tweak' a few things with them.

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have house envy. Your house > my house. You probably even have a dishwasher. *sigh*

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Coopslave, your house is definitely > than my house. And I even just got a dishwasher. Authentic, I suggest your house is also > than my house.

However, I think that Coopie deserves the best right now. Say, that garage is crying out for a couple pens of rabbits....

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sorry Authentic, I do have a dishwasher AND it works! I also have a pantry in the kitchen that I can walk in to!
I don't want to seem like I am bragging, but the last house we lived in really was not all that great. Small, old, nothing worked, mold everywhere, the laundry was in our bedroom (yuck!) and no water pressure. It is just so nice to be in such and amazing place. I feel spoilt rotten.

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:  Say, that garage is crying out for a couple pens of rabbits....
Crap Sue, I think hubby would truly divorce me over that! Shocked  Going to be bad enough when I start hatching in there.......
I do wish there was more out buildings, but that just sounds selfish I think with how lovely it all is.

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I dream of a dishwasher, a full-sized fridge, and full-depth counters. My kitchen is still 1967 original. And by original, I mean ugly.

ChickenTeam

ChickenTeam

I have Rocky Mountain view envy.  Grew up in Calgary, with frequent trips to the mountains.  They are in my blood, and I can't stand being very far from them.  Where we are now I can't see them, though I can still visit if I want a long drive and can afford the gas for our suburban.  Welcome to Alberta - been on many drives between Airdrie, Calgary, and Cochrane.  I'm lovin' all the chickens I got from you, and now you and your wonderful birds are in driving distance.  Can you tell the chicken-lovers of Alberta are happy?!  Good luck with all your projects.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum