Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

TaaaaDaaaaa!!! New Digs "picture heavy"

+5
CynthiaM
Prairie Chick
Schipperkesue
Magdelan
bigrock
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1TaaaaDaaaaa!!!  New Digs  "picture heavy" Empty TaaaaDaaaaa!!! New Digs "picture heavy" Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:08 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We are soooooo excited. New digs are done enough to move in the birds. We have temporarily moved over the old nesting boxes and will build new ones this spring..i keep saying we...but really, i cannot build if my life depended upon it...so... Husband will be building new boxes this spring. Electricity will come in the spring also, right now it will be extension cords from the old chicken house.
Our dog Luka (the Guardian pup) thought it was for him...sorry Luka
Tomorrow, i will move the feeders, waterers, lights and get the nesting boxes full of goodies and move the birds over once treated with Eprinex.
We still also have yet to do the poop decks...
But...it is a really great start and the chickens will love all the room and sunshine

TaaaaDaaaaa!!!  New Digs  "picture heavy" IMG_02092_zps72d790fd

TaaaaDaaaaa!!!  New Digs  "picture heavy" IMG_0219_zps5eb7c322

TaaaaDaaaaa!!!  New Digs  "picture heavy" IMG_02132_zpscc500414

TaaaaDaaaaa!!!  New Digs  "picture heavy" IMG_0235_zpse37b8a3c

TaaaaDaaaaa!!!  New Digs  "picture heavy" IMG_0225_zps4f63cade

TaaaaDaaaaa!!!  New Digs  "picture heavy" IMG_0224_zps640976d8

Will take a couple more tomorrow once the feeders and chickens are in

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

very nice. looking forward to seeing the chickens all ensconced. I like the look of your old nesting boxes, what will you do differently in spring?

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

bigger, deeper and we think just one level of 4 boxes with room underneath for portable boxes. Same on the other side.

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

that does sound good.  I have two barred rock hens who feel their generous backsides need plenty of space and won't go into a nesting box unless that is provided. so now the box is twice as big as the last ones were - could get two hens in there! not by original design, I used an old play house bed frame to make the laying spaces and just worked with what I had on hand. Next time I make the boxes I'll do differently and will have to do something soonish because there will be a lot of girls wanting to lay soonish and not enough boxes I don't think (two very big sized ones, maybe three). What you plan sounds groovy, looking forward to seeing them too. Is that 8 all together? How many layers do you have? I ask this because I am not sure what I will need for a box : laying hen ratio. Are the mobile ones for clucky hens?

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Poor puppy! He wants a spanky new home too!

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

looks great!

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Magdelan wrote: Is that 8 all together?  How many layers do you have?  I ask this because I am not sure what I will need for a box : laying hen ratio.  Are the mobile ones for clucky hens?
We figure when it is all done, there will be 8 as fixed boxes and then will use crates below as needed, probably 4 more. I think the ratio is 4-6 hens per box..but right now, our nesting boxes are only used a portion of the time. They have 4 favorite nests and they get piled up. We will have ~60 hens.. now i have to do a count. We are playing it all by ear...roosts have enough space to add another one if needed.

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ah, that is what I too have been waiting for. Those digs look awesome, you've come a long ways baby! Hubby did an incredible job of the coop, you are loved. I loved the picture of the pooch laying in the softness and the picture of the pooch and kitty, awesome! Now get the birds in....have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

What an amazing chicken home. Would make a great dog house too, not just for the dog! Wink 

Very inspiring...I have to plan out a new chicken house in the next week, and yours is very inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Looks Great!!!

Funny how they all want to use one nest box, and at the same time of course!!

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

affraid OMG your chicken barks Laughing Sorry had too. It looks amazing. I love when you can get new digs for anybody.

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

bigrock wrote:  We are having ventilation issues with our new hen house.  The problems lies with where we had intended to have open rafters ..at the front of the building.  Sadly though this is the direction that most of our weather comes from and while standing where the roosts were to be, i felt a horrid and cold draft..ack!..plans changed..
Then we (actually husband) covered in the rafters at the front, and we  (again husband) drilled large bore holes in the covers to allow some air escape.  Problem:: yikes.  There is so much humidity in the house that the roof is dripping moisture.  Roof, is plywood, with tar paper and tin on top of that.
So...now we(i guess this should always read husband) are opening up the rafters, putting up hardware cloth, and sealing the flat side of the roof and making very large holes for ventilation.  I added another heat lamp to help dry the place out until we can get this work done and it is helping...me knowing full well that the warmer the air, the more moisture it will hold...ghads!
Ventilation is the largest issue and something we thought we had a handle on.  I have just put hardware cloth over the windows and have opened all the front windows...Some day we will have a functional chicken coop
Do you have any vents in the side walls? It sounds like the wind blows through the front wall where the windows are? If you put vents in the sidewall you would get cross ventilation? You could put a cupolas on the roof. TaaaaDaaaaa!!!  New Digs  "picture heavy" CupolaJust modify it for a shed roof line?
http://www.familyhandyman.com/roof/how-to-build-a-cupola/view-all

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

13TaaaaDaaaaa!!!  New Digs  "picture heavy" Empty Re: TaaaaDaaaaa!!! New Digs "picture heavy" Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:31 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

It is a good thought BCBOY...husband wanted to do a cupola...but the shed roof line....We are going to try something tomorrow...will let you know how it works

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

aaaaaaannnnndddd. thanks so much for moving the post to the pics of the house...so clever of you

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum