Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Coopers progress (lots of photos added!)

+4
HigginsRAT
authenticfarm
islandgal99
coopslave
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Coopers progress (lots of photos added!) Empty Coopers progress (lots of photos added!) Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:33 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I thought there may be some of you interested in the Coopers progress this year.
I kept 2 blue pullets and 2 blue cockerels.  I am very happy with the pullets, they are the type of birds I am looking for.  Their combs are not there yet, but some of the birds that others have certainly have the combs that I am looking for.  Over all I am happy with the type at this stage and the egg colour.

Here is a picture of the eggs so far.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Top right is a Coopers hen, bottom egg is the first from a Coopers pullet and the top left is a second pullet egg.  Not sure if it is the same pullet or not, but I do suspect it is her second egg the way she was cackling yesterday!  Very Happy 

I am not as thrilled with the cockerels at this stage.  Not as consistent as the pullets.  Quite a variation in type and size.  I kept 1 cockerel from the Splash Marans x Coopers hens (same breeding as the pullets) and 1 cockerel from the Blue Marans hen x PChantecler to use next year.  I am worried a bit about maintaining egg colour with them, but only breeding will tell for sure.

I have the 2 original Black Coopers hens, 2 new Blue Coopers pullets and 1 Black pullet that is a Blue Marans x PChant for the breeding pen next season.  I will use both cockerels, separately, over all the hens. I would also like to add a couple more Black Copper pullets, but I am having a tough time finding some that are from a very dark egg line.

I will try to get you some photos of the birds themselves over the next day or so.  I would love to hear about the egg colour from the pullets that are out there too.

Last edited by coopslave on Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Great job, beautiful eggs.

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Lovely eggs!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

The pullets:

The cockerels:

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

No Tara, party colours can be seen in the background of the picture of the two pullets. They are just black now, but they carry mottling and wheaten. Next year will be Party Time when I hatch their eggs!!

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ohhhhh so pretty!!!!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Love your Blue coloured pullets. So pretty. Congrats. Smile

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have four of the Coopers pullets. Not any of them are laying yet, but I guess I should be expecting an egg any day now, they are the same age as yours. They are very pretty, and quite a difference in how they all look, particularly size, but I bet there is gonna be whomping nice dark brown eggs. Still on the fence if I will keep them or not. I have so many hens now, my worries about not having enough eggs for eating is gone by the wayside, probably never to return, smiling. Just on the fence, they are SO BEAUTIFUL.....I'll get some pictures soon and post for you to see, Coopslave. they have become much less flighty and are more friendly these days, maybe something in the air...Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

*Jealous*

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Wowie coopslave very nice looking birds...i am smitten!
i would be interested in some of your pullets if you needed to ditch some......(have put the bug in Cynthia's ear). i have some marans hens and cockerels(sp?) from Heidi, and am going after the rainbow egg colours. Will be playing with all sorts of olive colours. I too love the deep brown egg and these birds are gorgeous.
We were just at the IPE yesterday and saw a couple of birds that looked similar. My husband and i are so new to chickens and always like to know what the breeding is. I think these other birds were blue Austrolorps?

great pictures

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Bigrock, they are very Australorpish (the pullets that is).  Good eyes.  A little less fluff and less comb.  I am aiming to get the combs and wattles way smaller than even these girls have, but they are still a work in progress.
Some of the pullets were darker blue and better laced, but that doesn't really interest me.  I have actually always really liked the pale pullet I kept.  Not sure why, she was very unusual as a chick and almost white.  Now she is that pale blue with some dark flecks thru here.  I have enjoyed watching her grow.  Funny how you like some even if they are not really what you are looking for.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Nice! I am impressed not only with the color, but the consistency of the chickens. you have really made big strides very quickly!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum