Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A good cup of coffee!

+6
authenticfarm
toybarons
Pollywog
Magdelan
rosewood
Schipperkesue
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1A good cup of coffee! Empty A good cup of coffee! Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:43 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

In this topic the adjective "good" is describing "cup" and not "coffee"!

I cannot bear to have my morning coffee in any cup but this one. We must have a hundred cups around here, but for some reason this cup holds just the right amount, keeps it warm long enough and feels good in my mouth.

How do I take my coffee? Seriously...very seriously.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2A good cup of coffee! Empty Re: A good cup of coffee! Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:05 am

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

We have a set of Christmas coffee cups that feel just right for coffee. The good thing about having 4 is that at least one is ready anytime for a coffee break. My wife likes a handmade cup for her coffee.

3A good cup of coffee! Empty Re: A good cup of coffee! Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:31 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

that one in the photograph is hand made. My Dad is a potter, nothing like a hand crafted mug, they are the shizzle Cool .

4A good cup of coffee! Empty Re: A good cup of coffee! Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:35 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I too am a potter and most of my mugs are hand thrown. This one comes from a home pottery studio near Oakville, Ontario. The cup was fired in a wood fired kiln. A shino glaze does magical things when fired in an atmosphere of 2000 degree ash.

5A good cup of coffee! Empty Re: A good cup of coffee! Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:51 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

so nice to meet you kindred spirit! Love to see more of your work :-). will send you some photos of my Dad's material, it's beautiful and mighty and of course I'm biased but see what you think. Shino is one of his fav's. When I was growing up he used to have a double chambered kiln for wood, huge fire box and two walk in sized roman arched chambers for the pots. Such a magical alchemy in the whole process - mystical if you will.

6A good cup of coffee! Empty Re: A good cup of coffee! Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:23 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I will see if I have pictures. In Edmonton I had access to wood and gas fired kilns. Here...only electric.

7A good cup of coffee! Empty Re: A good cup of coffee! Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:23 pm

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I like my coffee in my grey cups. Sometimes milk and sugar, sometimes black. But always 2 cups before anything remarkable happens!

8A good cup of coffee! Empty Re: A good cup of coffee! Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:16 am

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Until recently, I enjoyed my coffee in an chipped 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup. I think I learned this from my mom, whom for ages only drank her coffee from a Pyrex measuring cup. She always said it held the heat for a longer and better than just a cup.

I said until recently because the saddest thing that can happen to a coffee drinker did to me...my cup broke. Thankfully, I found a nice clear glass Starbucks mug at my local Take it or Leave it used goods exchange centre. It seems to be doing its job =)

9A good cup of coffee! Empty Re: A good cup of coffee! Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:19 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have been to Take it or Leave it! Great stuff! I bought some silverware to make rings and chimes. I am always on the lookout for great mugs at thrift stores. Hope your new mug does the trick and holds the heat.

10A good cup of coffee! Empty Re: A good cup of coffee! Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:58 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is my cup. My BFF gave it to me. It says "Peace, Love and Caffeine."

I like it because it holds 12 oz. of beverage and reminds me of my BFF every time I use it.

Also, my husband doesn't steal it and leave it in his truck like all the other mugs. Yes, the man has travel mugs, he just keeps taking these ones.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

11A good cup of coffee! Empty Re: A good cup of coffee! Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:56 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I take my morning java pretty seriously too. Wink Now where the heck did I leave that I.V. unit...?!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This is my special cup. Made 'just for me' with fire and love by MIL. No one around here dares to wash it, let alone use it...Laughing

12A good cup of coffee! Empty Re: A good cup of coffee! Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:36 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

13A good cup of coffee! Empty Re: A good cup of coffee! Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:59 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Mwahahaha! Maybe I just like my coffee so strong that not only can you stand a spoon up in it, but you can turn your cup over and nothing spills out!

14A good cup of coffee! Empty Re: A good cup of coffee! Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:42 am

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My kids got me a great cup a couple years ago for Christmas and they'd wrapped up with a ziploc bag filled with critter fur donations LOL  

For me coffee is my quiet relax time so my first cup is usually in a travel mug as I drive kids to school then I do quick chores and relax to have my nice relaxed second cup while I catch up online before my day starts.  For me its all about the beans I love my kicking horse coffee and my ancient drip coffee maker.  It was sad mornings when I went to visit my parents who had a kuerig machine with cheap yucky coffee yeck 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I do need the cup to be comfortable with a nice rim on it.  I had a gift of mugs given to us but I had to hide them up in the top cupboard because they look nice but feel awful to drink from.  I'm ok my nice feeling mismatched mugs in my cupboards Smile

15A good cup of coffee! Empty Re: A good cup of coffee! Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:44 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

We have a Keurig, but we don't buy the cheap nasty K-cups. We buy the stupid expensive ones. lol

I do like Kicking Horse coffee, I have their beans for my espresso and cappuccinos. Smile

And now I sound like a snob. Mwahahahahahaa!

16A good cup of coffee! Empty Re: A good cup of coffee! Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:21 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

For me the coffee experience starts with the bubbling, brewing and delish smell of coffee in the morning so I like my old my ancient coffee maker Smile  We have a cappuccino maker downstairs somewhere but it hasn't been used in forever

17A good cup of coffee! Empty Re: A good cup of coffee! Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:29 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

18A good cup of coffee! Empty Re: A good cup of coffee! Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:04 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Worst ever sip of coffee was last years first camping trip with trailer.  Found out plug ins don't work on battery so hubby pulled out the Bodum (found in buried the cupboard).  Problem was I'd ground 2 days of grinds finely for use in the coffee machine.  Hubby was unsupervised but wanted to surprise me with cup of coffee so put all grinds (yes enough for 24cups of coffee) in the little bodum and made 2 cups of the worst most hideous disgusting gritty choking tar I've ever tasted  EEEEWWWW

19A good cup of coffee! Empty Re: A good cup of coffee! Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:43 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I love coffee. Sometimes when I feel sad, I think about coffee and it makes me happy.

I don't like 'stuff' and gifts that I have to store and display and dust and pack when I move. I like useful things, for the most part. It has taken me years to convince people that I will not be upset if they do not give me a thing as a gift. Give me consumables. Give me scented candles, soap, home canned preserves or jams or smoked salmon, give me a bottle of wine or a pound of COFFEE! Coffee as a gift, love it!

Not all coffee is created equal. I also find that not all brands have consistent performance with their coffee. We'll like brand X for a while then buy a pound that is nothing like it was the last time. What's that about? Perhaps smaller companies have better consistency than Nabob. (we are really liking their Gastown Grind right now)

Water is also a huge issue. Our water is very hard, so we soften the heck out of it. I hate it. We will not drink our water out of the tap, it's gross. So, you have to wonder. If the water is rejected as drinking water, can it possibly make good coffee? We like to drink our water hard, unsoftened, it tastes great. BUt it's DEATH to all appliances. Kettles and coffee makers and steam irons have died quick deaths when faced with our unsoftened water.

I have one fave mug the Daughter bought me as a gift. Hub has collected mugs with his workplace logo on them. THey are old, ugly and thank Gordon in the process of having their handles break off, thus soon to be chucked out. I keep my eyes peeled at the thrift store for cool mugs, but someone else must get the good ones, cause there are just ugly ones when I get there.

20A good cup of coffee! Empty Re: A good cup of coffee! Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:54 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am very lucky. Doug buys raw coffee beans, roasts them the night before and grinds them fresh that morning. Amazing coffee brewed to our exacting specifications.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum