Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What! No More Coffee??

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What! No More Coffee?? Empty What! No More Coffee?? Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:38 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Enjoy your freshly brewed pot of coffee this morning. In the not too distant future coffee could become a very expensive luxury, or maybe even gone from our planet completely!

Seriously though, we can go on living without our coffee or bananas. But what other plants are at risk of extinction that share the same climatic conditions? How many unknown species in these regions may hold cures to diseases and other treasures we do not even know about?

The wild Arabica coffee plant, the parent of the bushes on coffee farms, could go extinct as soon as 2080, according to a study by researchers from the Kew Royal Botanic Gardens published in PLoS One on Wednesday.

To generate their predictions, the researchers used a computer to simulate the potential impact of climate change on the regions that are home to the wild coffee plant, in the mountains of East Africa. They found that by 2080, global warming was likely to reduce the number of "bioclimatically suitable localities" for wild coffee growth by between 65 and 100 percent. In other words, if their worst-case scenario comes true, there will be nowhere on earth for wild coffee to grow. In the long term, that spells almost certain extinction.

The researchers also identified a few spots that were the most likely to resist the deleterious effects of climate change, and so provide a possible home for Arabica coffee beyond 2080. They suggest that these "core localities," which include the Yayu Coffee Forest in Ethiopia, could "serve as long-term in situ storehouses for coffee genetic resources."

The researchers did not specifically model how climate change would affect cultivated coffee, which is what most of us actually drink, though they note that the outlook is "assumed to be profoundly negative." Quality and yield are both likely to decrease as the climate heats up. A study on the issue back in 2010 predicted that coffee farmers in Mexico and Central America would lose about a third of their current growing area to climate change by 2050.

Moreover, the extinction of the wild coffee plant could eventually spell serious trouble for domesticated coffee. The wild versions of the plant have far more genetic diversity than the domesticated ones, making the wild population much more resistent overall to the effects of pests and diseases. The dangers of agricultural commodities with too little genetic diversity have already been amply demonstrated by banana trees, which may be completely wiped out by a devastating blight within the next 20 years.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

2What! No More Coffee?? Empty Re: What! No More Coffee?? Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:13 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

This bothers me for two reasons. 1) I love coffee. 2) the quoted report uses the term 'go extinct' which is a usage that makes my eyes roll back in my head.

Now I'm upset. My day is ruined.

3What! No More Coffee?? Empty Re: What! No More Coffee?? Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:32 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I could care less. I stopped drinking coffee regularly about 15 years ago. Now I drink it only on days I'm not working. Now I ENJOY it as opposed to feeling I NEED it to function.
Anything not medically prescribed that we feel we need to function, is not something we need, its something we've become mentally or physically addicted to.

Something so miniscule will not control the way I start my day.

4What! No More Coffee?? Empty Re: What! No More Coffee?? Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:57 pm

No proof of Global warming exists ,no one knows what nature will do in the long run and thus I just ignore all these reports .It's a huge cash cow that the big companies are useing to gain more .Just think If no one bought coffee starting today ,they would give it away for free ! demand has brought up prices ( plus all those expensive speciality coffee's ),but those third world countries are still third world countries ? strange that they don't pull out of that title ? I guess they are still getting what they did before and will continue to do so ! Everything has a cycle ,that has been proven many times in all aspects in life and in the enviroment and we are just starting to learn a bit of how it works .Mind you I do wonder why they are so bent on going to Mars ?? It is clearly not a planet that anyone could survive on .......but that's another topic

5What! No More Coffee?? Empty Re: What! No More Coffee?? Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:58 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am not a coffee drinker, but my nephew worked for a fairly large company for quite a while. He was able to travel all over the world talking to growers. He was lucky to go to Ethiopia, Costa Rica, Guatemala and others I don't even remember.

He would always comment on how the growers are not making nearly enough money for the produce. Same story we hear about other things I suppose.

Anyways, he is independent now and just starting up with his own, small, gourmet company. Have a look if you like coffee.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Make sure you have a look under the philosophy section if that kind of thing is important to you.

He is really enjoying being a roaster and loves to taste. He spits it out he says, I asked if he was vibrating on coffee all day! Laughing

The website is actually an interesting read. I am always amazed how little I know about some things.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum