Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

can't stop the what if's

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1can't stop the what if's Empty can't stop the what if's Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:52 pm

vic's chicks

My brain is on overload trying to find a way to make all the broody's happy and not have to brood any myself. I am getting 4 day old barnies today. At first I was thinking "what if" I gave those to the hen who has been sitting for 10 days. and then" what if" I gave her eggs to the one who went broody two days ago. Then I remembered that Briarwood was hatching some ameracuanas for me around the fifteenth. Could I put those under the first broody who will hopefully take the barnevelders? Then I thought "what if "I gave the barnie chicks to the little barred rock who has been unsuccessfully brooding for months. She is roosting off and on now but is on her nest all day every day. Then "what if" give just the ameracuanas to the first broody and everyone will be happy(maybe)! Does anyone else experience this kind of insanity?. I can't seem to stop my brain from trying to create a solution.

2can't stop the what if's Empty Re: can't stop the what if's Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:18 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Give them to the poor little barred rock. I think she's earned them. cheers

3can't stop the what if's Empty Re: can't stop the what if's Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:39 pm

vic's chicks

Well I did it. They are under the orpington. I had the first one in a little box. I set it down near the barred rock for a few minutes. It was cheeping loudly. There was no reaction from her. I set it down near the orpington and she started to cluck softly. Guess who won. They were silent as soon as they got under her big fluffy belly. I think they are older than day olds because they already have wing feathers. I hope they can adjust to her. I will be up before dawn to make sure all is well. I will have to find another solution for the little barred rock.

4can't stop the what if's Empty Re: can't stop the what if's Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:19 am

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Put day olds under her at night if she is on the nest. This works the best. She wakes up thinking they hatched in the night.

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

5can't stop the what if's Empty Re: can't stop the what if's Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:58 am

I've given 4 day old chicks to a hen that went broody less than a weak prior. Worked!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum