Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Things i have seen!

+8
uno
CynthiaM
toybarons
Jonny Anvil
HigginsRAT
Schipperkesue
KathyS
progers
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Things i have seen!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Things i have seen! Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:33 am

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

I think I was a little off the mark with my earlier reply/post on this topic, ?

I am not going to go back and start changing what I say, I guess I was in a sentimental mood at the time.

27Things i have seen!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Things i have seen! Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:11 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

28Things i have seen!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Things i have seen! Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:51 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Loving this thread! New to chickens but have bred Arabian Horses for years and just because you can does not mean you should! Breed the best to the best and be prepared to CULL anything that does not meet your/breed standards. I do realize that an exhibition bird will have different requirements than a laying hen who's eggs are headed for the pot or plate.

29Things i have seen!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Things i have seen! Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:53 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have SOOOOOOOOOO much to learn before I can be a "Chicken Snob" but rest assured it's my goal!

30Things i have seen!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Things i have seen! Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:55 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

If we are talking breeder snobs I think there is really only one kind that bothers me.
They are the ones who make claims they are experts of a breed yet when you read their
advice or look at the pictures they post of their "accomplishments" it's obvious that something
isn't right. I've come across some. They make me cringe. Especially when they put themselves out there as being accomplished and it's clear they are not. Yet they present themselves as being representatives of a breed and will sell birds as being purebreds or worse say that the bird is a bred not yet recognized but is "coming along being pieced from scratch."

I know for many the "breeder snobs" are us the exhibition people. Yup, I am including myself
into this group as I am moving more towards this in my endevours. However, I think it's really all relative. IF you want cross breeds for your own fun, I don't see any harm in that. From my understanding many top breeders started the same way when they were kids out on the farm.
It's how they learned about genetics. Many of the mix birds are far more hardy than exhibition stock and the mixes often serve a better function for eggs and meat.

Now you really want to open a can of worms?!
Try talking about exhibtion snobs and poultry.
The old club who refuses to believe some change is needed in order to assure the future of poultry shows.
The old club who thinks the future of shows lies only with the kids, the juniors.
They don't seem to see the Urbain Chicken people, the pet chicken people or the ruralites,
people my age who don't have kids but have the time and place most of the extra income
to invest. People like me may not have grown up on a farm, but we are eager to and want to learn about the craft of breeding birds and exhibtion. We are the new faces of the hobby and we are just as proud to represent.

31Things i have seen!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Things i have seen! Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:30 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

authenticfarm wrote:When I grow up, I want to be a chicken snob.

HAHA yeah, me too. Cool

Though I think I'm already on my way...my family tell people I only have special chickens, not regular chickens, and well, they're darn right. Very Happy Even my mutts are well bred beauties. Wink

32Things i have seen!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Things i have seen! Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:20 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

HigginsRAT - Thank you.
Thank you for sharing that with us all. I came in for a break from the yard work and sat down and thoroughly enjoyed reading every word. I think this will go a long way to helping people new to the hobby understand some of what goes into producing a good pair of birds and why they are valued so highly by the breeder. In this modern world where so many people are looking for instant success and instant gratification (and they seem to feel it is their right to expect that) this post may help shed some light on why that way of thinking does not enter into the picture for those who are serious breeders. Long-term breeding plans are the nature of the game.

Toybarons, I understand what you are saying. It’s well known that people new to the hobby often have some trouble being taken seriously when trying to buy stock from those who are already well established breeders. And yes, some will go all out to help a kid, but good luck if you are over 25 and just trying to get a start.
However, I'm sure some of those snobby-breeder attitudes are formed over time for good reason. As Higgins stated, it is up to the buyer to be responsible enough to do their homework and know what it is they are looking for. Many have unreal expectations plus a lack of knowledge. They want something handed to them that will guarantee instant success. If it was that easy, we'd ALL have champion show birds and there would be nothing left to work towards! Easy peasy. But where is the satisfaction in that? Very Happy

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

33Things i have seen!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Things i have seen! Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:28 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Flicker Chick wrote:
authenticfarm wrote:When I grow up, I want to be a chicken snob.

HAHA yeah, me too. Cool

Though I think I'm already on my way...my family tell people I only have special chickens, not regular chickens, and well, they're darn right. Very Happy Even my mutts are well bred beauties. Wink

I can relate to this, Flicker. My mom takes pride in making sure people know that "Kathy has FANCY chickens, not those ordinary ones!"

Wink

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

34Things i have seen!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Things i have seen! Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:43 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

KathyS wrote:HigginsRAT - Thank you.
Thank you for sharing that with us all. I came in for a break from the yard work and sat down and thoroughly enjoyed reading every word. I think this will go a long way to helping people new to the hobby understand some of what goes into producing a good pair of birds and why they are valued so highly by the breeder. In this modern world where so many people are looking for instant success and instant gratification (and they seem to feel it is their right to expect that) this post may help shed some light on why that way of thinking does not enter into the picture for those who are serious breeders. Long-term breeding plans are the nature of the game.

Toybarons, I understand what you are saying. It’s well known that people new to the hobby often have some trouble being taken seriously when trying to buy stock from those who are already well established breeders. And yes, some will go all out to help a kid, but good luck if you are over 25 and just trying to get a start.
However, I'm sure some of those snobby-breeder attitudes are formed over time for good reason. As Higgins stated, it is up to the buyer to be responsible enough to do their homework and know what it is they are looking for. Many have unreal expectations plus a lack of knowledge. They want something handed to them that will guarantee instant success. If it was that easy, we'd ALL have champion show birds and there would be nothing left to work towards! Easy peasy. But where is the satisfaction in that? Very Happy

Agree with you. As I mentioned previously on this topic, I am begining to learn where breeders are coming from in why they are reluctant to sell stock to someone they don't know. I do find a certain irony though in some of their logic in regards to trust. To use your reference of not selling to someone over the age of 25 yet many will have little hestitation selling a good bird to a young child: irony is I have heard stories since becoming involved with showbirds where some people use their kids to get birds. Oh what a world we live in!

35Things i have seen!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Things i have seen! Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:30 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

36Things i have seen!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Things i have seen! Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:48 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

HigginsRAT wrote:Heel low:

I am sorry you feel that somehow "people over 25" are discriminated against in the Fancy. I hope you don't feel discriminated here!

Who? Me or KathyS?
Speaking for myself, I did feel something when I first became involved with poultry, but it wasn't what I would call discrimination. That is far too harsh a word for something so trival.
I would say that some "Pros" at the first shows I did sort of snubbed me. However they snubbed others like me too. When 3 Old Hens did their show, they invited everyone to bring birds. They said even if it was a hatchery bird, bring it and let the judge look at it. The judge can then show you what's good and not so good in your bird, cause this is the way you learn and grow. Knowing now how "Pro" breeders feel about hatchery stock, I think they felt like the riff-raft were allowed to be along side them at the Grand Ball.

I am far, far, FAR from being a pro breeder of my breed. I am still learning a lot. However, I have broken the ice at shows with some breeders who do see that I am trying to learn and they certainly have been a big help to people like me. I am gratiful to them.

37Things i have seen!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Things i have seen! Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:31 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

38Things i have seen!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Things i have seen! Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:34 am

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Most poultry judges LOVE it when you ask them about your poultry. I have learned a lot from their advice!

39Things i have seen!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Things i have seen! Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:55 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

40Things i have seen!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Things i have seen! Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:05 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

HigginsRAT wrote:
toybarons wrote:Most poultry judges LOVE it when you ask them about your poultry. I have learned a lot from their advice!

BEWARE of Rico...he carries a judging stick with him at all times... Embarassed

How do I know?

I've received some well deserved ***cracks*** over the head with it a few times. Twisted Evil

Tara

Are you sure it wasn't a little tickle to get you to stand up better? Wink

41Things i have seen!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Things i have seen! Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:07 am

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

HigginsRAT wrote:
toybarons wrote:Most poultry judges LOVE it when you ask them about your poultry. I have learned a lot from their advice!

BEWARE of Rico...he carries a judging stick with him at all times... Embarassed

How do I know?

I've received some well deserved ***cracks*** over the head with it a few times. Twisted Evil

Tara

Rico walks tall with a judging stick but secretly has a silkie in his pocket.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum