Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Stupid Things I Think About...

+4
Blue Hill Farm
KathyS
uno
Fowler
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Stupid Things I Think About... Empty The Stupid Things I Think About... Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:40 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

So I' thinking what sort of breed was Bugs Bunny? Comparing Elmer Fudd and Yosimite Sam to the other humans appearing in the cartoons, they appear to be around 3.5 feet (funny, it never occurred to me that they were dwarves before). Bugs is about as tall as they are.

Currently the largest rabbit on record is Darius, a Flemish Giant that weighs 50 lbs and is over 4 feet long (stretched out) and still growing.

I'm thinking Bugs had to be a Flemish Giant.

2The Stupid Things I Think About... Empty Re: The Stupid Things I Think About... Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:26 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

With all due respect, I have to disagree. Bugs had no mass, no bulk, he was thin and agile. He reminds me more of those wild hares you see zooming around Australia. No, not a kangaroo. Flemish Giants just have the wrong body type. ANd not enough attitude. To truly be a Bugs, you have to be wild with survival on the brain!

Fowler, I respect and admire the way your mind works. These are really important things to know. In fact, I probably won't be able to function until we have the definitive answer. Way to be!

3The Stupid Things I Think About... Empty Re: The Stupid Things I Think About... Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:01 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think it would be a very worthwhile breeding project to create the "Bugs" breed of rabbits. You rabbit people could do some creative crosses - a bit of wild Australian hare for the lean body type, some Flemish Giant for size, Maybe some Arctic Hare, cuz they've got to have survival instinct to live and thrive up there...
Oh, you could add in a bit of antelope Jackrabbit. They live in the desert so do not drink much water. They have adapted the ability to dodge bullets while stealing garden produce. They then relax in their burrow, enjoying freshly brewed carrot juice whilst the local humans are exclaiming, Now Where is dat Waskelly Wabbit?!

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

4The Stupid Things I Think About... Empty Re: The Stupid Things I Think About... Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:26 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Eh…what’s up Doc? rabbit

I don't have a clue what breed Bugs is supposed to be, just enjoyed the ride as a kid. The golden age of cartoons IMO.

5The Stupid Things I Think About... Empty Re: The Stupid Things I Think About... Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:54 am

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Kathy, you may be onto something with the Antelope Jackrabbit. Bugs is often portrayed in the desert and dodging bullets. Bugs seems to have adapted the ability to defy gravity as well. I am not sure what one would cross a rabbit with to get that trait. (I have a 5-year old and we like retro tunes).

Bugs is big, yes, but certainly not the Flemish Giant. lol!

6The Stupid Things I Think About... Empty Re: The Stupid Things I Think About... Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:57 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well I'll be the first to admit that rabbits are not my specialty so I will defer to the more knowledgeable.

Instead I will turn my focus to something I am well versed on.

Foghorn Leghorn.

Seen in some episodes to be a bit bigger than a full grown hawk (yes, almost as big as the dog but for all we know that thing was the size of a Jack Russel Terrier) this indicates a Standard.

Single comb, yellow feet, white with dark head and tail...
perhaps a Columbian Rock?

No doubt culled from a breeding program and sold to a backyard hobbiest.

7The Stupid Things I Think About... Empty Re: The Stupid Things I Think About... Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:07 am

Bug's was a Jack Rabbit .......of sorts .Not that I've ever heard of a jack rabbit digging a tunnel to live in ? but I've never seen one walking around on two legs , or talking come to think of it ??

8The Stupid Things I Think About... Empty Re: The Stupid Things I Think About... Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:43 pm

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Fowler wrote:So I' thinking what sort of breed was Bugs Bunny? Comparing Elmer Fudd and Yosimite Sam to the other humans appearing in the cartoons, they appear to be around 3.5 feet (funny, it never occurred to me that they were dwarves before). Bugs is about as tall as they are.

Currently the largest rabbit on record is Darius, a Flemish Giant that weighs 50 lbs and is over 4 feet long (stretched out) and still growing.

I'm thinking Bugs had to be a Flemish Giant.

The weight is totally wrong on Darius and so is the other one, I think they called him Ralph.
The English are great at exaggerating.
He is a pet cull from Dutch breeding and is no bigger then many other true Flemish giants.

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

9The Stupid Things I Think About... Empty Re: The Stupid Things I Think About... Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:24 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler wrote:Well I'll be the first to admit that rabbits are not my specialty so I will defer to the more knowledgeable.

Instead I will turn my focus to something I am well versed on.

Foghorn Leghorn.

Seen in some episodes to be a bit bigger than a full grown hawk (yes, almost as big as the dog but for all we know that thing was the size of a Jack Russel Terrier) this indicates a Standard.

Single comb, yellow feet, white with dark head and tail...
perhaps a Columbian Rock?

No doubt culled from a breeding program and sold to a backyard hobbiest.

Well, wikipedia lists his species as Rooster… Laughing

10The Stupid Things I Think About... Empty Re: The Stupid Things I Think About... Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:38 am

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Identifying Bugs' ancestors will be a much easier task than you think.
A few items will be needed first. A skirt, a wig, some bright red lipstick.

Leave these items outside, and whichever species of rabbit puts them on, is definitely the right species.

11The Stupid Things I Think About... Empty Re: The Stupid Things I Think About... Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:09 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

^ So glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that! lol!

12The Stupid Things I Think About... Empty Re: The Stupid Things I Think About... Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:27 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hillbilly, you are brilliant. I think you should submit your suggestion to a scientific magazine!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

13The Stupid Things I Think About... Empty Re: The Stupid Things I Think About... Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:34 pm

heda gobbler wrote:Hillbilly, you are brilliant.
I agree!! lol! Razz

14The Stupid Things I Think About... Empty Re: The Stupid Things I Think About... Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:48 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hillbilly nails it!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum